PDA

View Full Version : Legal or illegal copy of Windows XP

shadow29
03-12-2005, 12:20 AM
I have had a tremendous amount of trouble with my hard drive recently. The partition got corrupted so I had to use Ontrack to get my data off. Then, I deleted that partition and tried to reinstall XP using the disk Dell gave me. No work.

I'm going to buy another hd (160 gb for $60 at microcenter) and start over. I have my serial number for XP. Can I get Dell to send me another disk? Or is there a place where I can obtain an illegal copy?

Thanks.

Also, I don't want to use the current disk to install XP b/c I think the problem is with the disk.

For those who care, here's a more thoruough documentation of my troubles: im raillery (http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?p=204433#post204433)

scotty34
03-12-2005, 12:35 AM
You could download an illegal copy off of Kazaa or most other P2P clients. That is if you have internet access and access to a CD burner on a different computer. I doubt they would send you another disk without better proof of purchase, as you can also download cracked CD Keys off of the same clients. Couldn't hurt to call and ask though - I would always prefer an official copy to a fake.

shadow29
03-12-2005, 12:39 AM
Yeah, I've got a laptop that works.

Do the files off Kazaa actually work?

scotty34
03-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I would say around 40% of the time you will get a working version. Download and burn like 4, and you should be good. If that's worth the trouble

rusellmj
03-12-2005, 12:52 AM
Are you saying your disk is bad, or that it doesn't work the way you want it to because it's a restore disk? I had a work computer lose it's HDD today. I go to a place here in CA called PC Club where you can buy OEM (what some people call white box). As long as I buy a piece of hardware (said HDD) I was able to get a full version of XP w/ SP2 for $105. Total was like $180. If you have a place that sells OEM it would be worth the investment to get the legal disk.

Russ

shadow29
03-12-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
your disk is bad, or that it doesn't work the way you want it to because it's a restore disk?

[/ QUOTE ]

both, actually.

not sure if we have a place like that in atl.

shadow29
03-12-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I would say around 40% of the time you will get a working version. Download and burn like 4, and you should be good. If that's worth the trouble

[/ QUOTE ]

what happens with a non working version? is there a way to test them out?

scotty34
03-12-2005, 01:02 AM
With the non-working versions I've used, they usually just have errors while installing, saying certain DLL's are missing or corrupted or whatever. Just gotta erase and try another one.

morello
03-12-2005, 03:37 AM
Are you a college/university student? You'll probably get it for free or for a major discount if you are.

I just got a new computer, and a free copy of XP through my school. Other software like Norton is ~$5. Good deal for me.

ucfryan
03-12-2005, 04:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you a college/university student? You'll probably get it for free or for a major discount if you are.

I just got a new computer, and a free copy of XP through my school. Other software like Norton is ~$5. Good deal for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I just bought XP Pro for $14 through my university.

Slacker13
03-12-2005, 04:35 AM
Illegal. Enough said.