PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the 4k-8 game

Martin Aigner
03-11-2005, 10:46 PM
Given that this game is so fascinating to lots of people here I do have some questions:

STLantny
03-12-2005, 12:24 AM
i see that a lot of ppl put more than 7.5 million....500bb = 4 million ? care to discuss?

lighterjobs
03-12-2005, 12:41 AM
just because you have an adequate bankroll doesn't mean you are going to go broke in this game. you have to remember they are playing pl and nl capped games at 100k. so if i was going to have $2,500 to play 4-8 lhe i would want to have more than 2.5m to play 4k-8k because you can get stuck pretty fast in nl games. in other words, i wouldn't take them extra 5 million and stick it back in that game after i went broke for the first time.

imported_stealthcow
03-12-2005, 12:50 AM
with those players i dont think this game is one about winning money as much as seeing whose the best player among them.

david050173
03-12-2005, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
with those players i dont think this game is one about winning money as much as seeing whose the best player among them.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it is all about seeing who gets Larry Flynts money.

Beerfund
03-12-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF is this supposed to say? Don't people fukcing preview their posts? I'm sick of this shyt!

cwsiggy
03-12-2005, 01:38 AM
I've heard Bill Gates has been seen playing $2-$4 lol

lighterjobs
03-12-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know about this or if he even plays any b&m poker but i heard something on the travel channel about how he's been seen playing $10 blackjack.

Martin Aigner
03-12-2005, 04:57 AM
Where´s the difference for him in playing $10 or $10k a box?

Dynasty
03-12-2005, 05:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know about this or if he even plays any b&m poker but i heard something on the travel channel about how he's been seen playing $10 blackjack.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Vegas, Gates usually plays the 3-6 game at the Mirage. The reason for this is the concern that gambling for big stakes risks creating the image of gambling with company money.

bernie
03-12-2005, 07:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In Vegas, Gates usually plays the 3-6 game at the Mirage. The reason for this is the concern that gambling for big stakes risks creating the image of gambling with company money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being that he's the richest man in the world, I doubt this would be a concern if he played 20-40. People wouldn't even blink if he played 100-200.

I think this is more on par for people in smaller, more easily troubled companies.

That said, I think it's kind of cool he has the restraint not to want to play higher limits where most in his position easily would.

b

Paul2432
03-12-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i see that a lot of ppl put more than 7.5 million....500bb = 4 million ? care to discuss?

[/ QUOTE ]

BR is a function of standard deviation and win rate. Even for a world class player, in this game WR is low, and SD is high.

Paul

TylerD
03-12-2005, 01:11 PM
The guy's got $50 billion, playing $3-6 is no different to $300-600 for him.

cwsiggy
03-12-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting since this apparently is the same issue that was reported in the Wall Street Journal about Andy Beal. Apparently he was/is under pressure from his board of directors to stop playing in those high stakes poker games cause it's bad for his bank's image. It was a very interesting article about how Beal takes an unorthodox approch to his loan portfolio, etc.

slavic
03-12-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Being that he's the richest man in the world, I doubt this would be a concern if he played 20-40. People wouldn't even blink if he played 100-200.

I think this is more on par for people in smaller, more easily troubled companies.

That said, I think it's kind of cool he has the restraint not to want to play higher limits where most in his position easily would.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW he's welcome to play at my home game any time.

Justin A
03-12-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sure. If you're a losing player, there is no adequate bankroll. So one billion dollars would not be enough to not go broke in that game given enough time.

fsuplayer
03-12-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ahahahhahahahhahaahha....

you are joking, right?

STLantny
03-12-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sure. If you're a losing player, there is no adequate bankroll. So one billion dollars would not be enough to not go broke in that game given enough

[/ QUOTE ]

er, that pertains to nothing what i said? its commonly accepted that 300bb for a full game and 500 for a 6 max game, is the br that leaves little chance for a winning player to bust......so Im just making the point, that 4 million is adequate, if that is your only your BR, obv. ??????????????

Voltron87
03-12-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

sure. If you're a losing player, there is no adequate bankroll. So one billion dollars would not be enough to not go broke in that game given enough

[/ QUOTE ]

er, that pertains to nothing what i said? its commonly accepted that 300bb for a full game and 500 for a 6 max game, is the br that leaves little chance for a winning player to bust......so Im just making the point, that 4 million is adequate, if that is your only your BR, obv. ??????????????

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter if your bankroll is 1,000,000,000 $, you're going to go broke in the Big Game if you are not a +EV player in it. No bankroll is sufficient for a losing player.

Dynasty
03-13-2005, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter if your bankroll is 1,000,000,000 $, you're going to go broke in the Big Game if you are not a +EV player in it. No bankroll is sufficient for a losing player.

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition, the 300 BB bankroll is the rule of thumb for a 1 BB per hour winner. Even the top players in the 4K/8K game are supposedly not even making a small bet per hour.

Sponger15SB
03-13-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The guy's got $50 billion, playing $3-6 is no different to $3,000,000-6,000,000 for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed your post

randomfish
03-13-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The guy's got $50 billion, playing $3-6 is no different to $300-600 for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read somewhere that the reason he doesn't play higher stakes is because he wants to feel he can beat the game.

Seems like he's more of a poker player than a gambler.

STLantny
03-13-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In addition, the 300 BB bankroll is the rule of thumb for a 1 BB per hour winner. Even the top players in the 4K/8K game are supposedly not even making a small bet per hour.

Post Extras:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah ya, I forgot the 1bb rule, that makes a little sense now. ty dynasty. As for the other guy, i think i stipulated about a million times that a WINNING PLAYER in the game etc.........

stigmata
03-15-2005, 12:34 PM
If I had a huge lottery win, I might possibly play in this game - *once*.

Buy in for 30BB. Just for the experience. Heck, I might even finish up for the night /images/graemlins/laugh.gif