View Full Version : going passive

Allan
09-27-2002, 06:07 PM
Here is a hand that I played passively and wondered if I missing out on long term profits. PP 1-2

I have AdQs UTG +3 and raise. Only the BB calls.

Flop is 2c Ts Ah. BB check calls my bet.

Turn is Qd. BB bets I only call

River is 3d Bet and call.

Am I playing this incorrectly?

thanks,

Allan

KJS
09-27-2002, 06:27 PM
I think you need to raise the river. Just calling the turn is good because unless they are a chronic chaser (or flopped a set). They are probably drawing dead or nearly dead against you. I would guess that they flopped an A and are trying to get fancy or they maybe turned a worse 2 pair. In these games many many bad players would also play a flopped 2 pair or set this way. Their (very awful) thinking being "I'll trap, but wait maybe he won't bet the turn, so I better bet it". Against those who flopped a set I would lose a bit more because I would raise the river and pay off their re-raise (if they did so). I would also lose a bit more than you against someone who got a gutshot on the turn. Hmmmm. Maybe you did play it right.

KJS

Clarkmeister
09-27-2002, 08:07 PM
I think you played it just fine until the river, where you should raise. I don't think its close.

Allan
09-27-2002, 08:34 PM
Why is the turn call fine but you wanna raise the river?

Allan

KJS
09-27-2002, 09:14 PM
Because you don't want hands that are drawing dead or nearly dead (A2/AT/Ax/QT) to fold to your raise. You want them to bet again on the river so you can raise. That way you maybe get 2 or 3 bets. If you raise and they fold, you get 1.

KJS

Hat Trick
09-28-2002, 11:46 PM
The turn call is fine, you should definitely raise on the river.