PDA

View Full Version : How do you like this play?

scotty34
03-11-2005, 08:44 PM
I'm fairly new to SnG's, and mostly trying to work on my basic strategy, so perhaps I shouldn't be trying to get tricky yet, until I really know what I'm doing. Anyways, Party $20+2 hand:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t755)
Hero (t1620)
BB (t800)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t345)
MP1 (t770)
MP2 (t630)
MP3 (t1120)
CO (t1160)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Button calls t15, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t45) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t40</font>, Button calls t40, Hero calls t40.

Turn: (t165) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t40</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, BB calls t110.

River: (t465) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, BB calls t200.

Final Pot: t865

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Jd Jc (full house, jacks full of sevens).
BB has Ac 2s (two pair, aces and sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins t865. </font>

I'll explain my line of thinking here. The blinds were so small that they really weren't worth picking up if the two players folded to my raise. By not raising, it adds some deception to my hand (yes I know that is a poor argument, and has been discussed often). However, if I did raise 3-4x BB, I'm fairly confident that both of these players would have called with a weak K or A. So all it would really eliminate is a weak Q drawing out on me or some low two pair. So what do you think? Good/acceptable play and it worked out well? Bad play, and I just happen to get lucky this time? Comments on the other streets?

SuitedSixes
03-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Very well played. I would have done exactly the same thing, and then checked the HH wondering if I could have got more out of the river, I doubt you would have.

AtticusFinch
03-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Excellent line. Well played.

jeffraider
03-11-2005, 08:52 PM
I'd raise it preflop just so I can bet at a A-, K- or Q-high flop with a little more credibility if neither of my opponents have an A, K or Q. If you limp the jacks here and the flop is K-high then you've pretty much got to let the hand go to a bet or invest more than what you would have raised preflop with a raise on the flop to see if you can win the hand there. I like the rest of it, especially the half-pot bet on the river, because that's likely all the A2 would call, so good job!

PS I'm in Nanaimo, welcome to SitNGos. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

curtains
03-11-2005, 09:40 PM
I raise preflop, and I definitely raise on the flop after the original check.

Of course your play isn't terrible, I just wouldn't play it like this.

bweiser8311962
03-11-2005, 09:43 PM
I'd be all-in on the turn.

scotty34
03-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Why do you say all in on the turn? Is it because you saw his final hand, and knew he would probably call. I was unaware that he hit the ace, and if I went all in there, I would assume he would fold. The only draw I have to be worried about is the hearts, but I can't just assume he is on a heart draw for no good reason.

At this point, I am almost positive I have the best hand, and see it as being very unlikely he could outdraw me. Why would I push and have him fold, rather than trying to extract whatever chips I can?

microbet
03-12-2005, 01:15 AM
I might have thought about checking the flop, but when there was a bet and a call I would raised to about 150. But maybe I'm a chicken.