PDA

View Full Version : Folding QQ preflop

ilya
03-11-2005, 08:10 PM
How do y'all feel about folding QQ preflop to a big raise on the early levels of a $22 or $33, before you really have a read on the raiser?

Voltron87
03-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Bad. To a raise and a reraise, Good. But to just one raise, Bad.

ilya
03-11-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really bad or marginally bad?

elonkra
03-11-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really bad or marginally bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

PUSH

Seadood228
03-11-2005, 08:20 PM
I don't think it's that bad.

I can think of some situations where I wouldn't want to get involved with QQ...

I might get slammed for this, but I don't think folding anything preflop on level 1 in a 22-33 can be considered a HUGE mistake given the structure of these things.

RobGW
03-11-2005, 08:22 PM
If you'd rather fold your way to the bubble and take your chances then I guess thats the play. If you want to be the big stack and bully the table on the bubble then I would play it.

ilya
03-11-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I might get slammed for this, but I don't think folding anything preflop on level 1 in a 22-33 can be considered a HUGE mistake given the structure of these things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding AA preflop on level 1 of any level SnG is a terrible, terrible mistake.

Seadood228
03-11-2005, 08:25 PM
lol..

I assumed AA was excluded /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously, if your in the BB and someone UTG raises to 250 on level 1, I don't think it's horrible to fold hands like QQ, AK, and JJ, even though it looks like UTG is full of crap..

ilya
03-11-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Seriously, if your in the BB and someone UTG raises to 250 on level 1, I don't think it's horrible to fold hands like QQ, AK, and JJ..

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think those hands form a single group. To my mind, it's clearly, indubitably correct to fold JJ there sans read. I am much less clear on what to do with QQ/AK.

spentrent
03-11-2005, 08:30 PM
1) Raise AND a reraise up front? I'll fold QQ without feeling any guilt.

2) Raise up front? I might *gasp* call in position and hope to see a flop.

I agree with Seadood -- a case can be made for folding anything in the first few levels of a low buy-in game without hurting your chances of placing ITM or winning outright.

This probably changes if the buy-in is higher and my edge over the field is smaller (or non-existent). I'd probably reraise most of the time against a tricky opponent who is capable of open-raising just about anything.

ilya
03-11-2005, 08:34 PM
My terminology may be throwing people off, as many seem to call the first bet a "raise." I don't, so I'm talking more about the times when you open the betting with QQ and then get raised than the times when it's a bet to you. When it's just a bet to me I feel comfortable that my line of pushing/raising is good.

Seadood228
03-11-2005, 08:36 PM
Your right, I shouldn't have included JJ in my example..

I guess the point I was trying to make is that I think you are better off erring on the side of caution early in these things.