PDA

View Full Version : Would u consider this a normal downswing?

oreogod
03-11-2005, 08:04 PM
I pretty much know what Im doing, from both books and a friend who plays high stakes whom is helping me.

Is a 40-45BB downswing normal at all? (this is at 5/10 so 450.00 is the net loss). Ive hit downswing spurts here and there, but today was a tortourous one, it became almost laughable.

I know I played well, I got major sucks outs, it was 4-5 massive pots that did it, and I knew i had them beat until either the turn or river. (KK to A2s three twos, on the river. KK to AA twice and AK to AA with an Ace on turn, felt behind on the last one). Those last few I was just dead to start with, but those are just highlights where I did not lose as much as say to A2 or runner runner flushes who called three bets cold with 10-6 suited. The only pots I could grab were the few hands that were good and when I was able to steal the pot.

Anyway, same question if you are a good to decent player and the cards are pretty much against u and u are playing a good tight agressive game, is 45BB normal?

Stats were:
VPIP 22
PFR 6
PF 2
Showdown won 20 percent (ouch)
Went to showdown 35

AngryCola
03-11-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, same question if you are a good to decent player and the cards are pretty much against u and u are playing a good tight agressive game, is 45BB normal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only is it fairly common, it's actually not that bad of a swing. You should be expecting to see swings like that fairly often.

My worst one night swing was exactly 100 BBs (playing one table), but I didn't sweat it all that much. I knew that the deck was just kicking me in the face, and went on to make +125 BBs over the course of the next several days.

oreogod
03-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Thats what my friend whos giving the help says...but I guess thats what a bankroll is for. started with 1500 now Im at 1000, I should probably go down a level, but I know this is beatable...

And I cant go down a level for, well, there are reasons, such as employment issues.

EliteNinja
03-11-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
started with 1500 now Im at 1000, I should probably go down a level, but I know this is beatable...

[/ QUOTE ]

EVERY loser knows it's beatable. Knowing YOU can beat the level is what counts.

Why not start at a lower level and find out with less risk, then move up?
What's the rush?
5/10 is one of the toughest levels.

tripdad
03-14-2005, 12:50 AM
your downswing is normal. the $5/10 full game on the party skins is not easy to beat. it's a rock garden, and the last game on the party skins i would recommend to anyone...even the most seasoned player. one step up or one step down are both much better games. with your roll, i would certainly move down to $3/6. it is a cakewalk compared to $5/10 full. $5/10 short is a good game, but the swings are crazy. you simply do not have enough of a bankroll to handle them.

cheers!

AKQJ10
03-14-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
EVERY loser knows it's beatable. Knowing YOU can beat the level is what counts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely. My first impulse in reply to a thread like this is that, although 45 big bets is certainly not a surprising downswing, it's very easy to err on the side of blaming luck instead of one's own play. I've done the same, on a -100 big bet brick-and-mortar swing. Eventually it dawned on me that yes, i was taking some bad beats, but i was also leaking chips by playing too loose preflop.

Granted I'm a newbie (~1 year) and not ready to play $5/10 -- it's still a valuable lesson to me.

Dick_Stone_777
03-14-2005, 03:44 PM
Beatable or not, 1000 clams is not going to cut it, end of story **Especially if money is tight for you right now.

smoore
03-14-2005, 06:12 PM
I agree about the 5/10 full on party, 3/6 is MUCH easier (and more profitable for me). Play two tables if you need to pay the bills with it. I'm completely comfortable with anything over a grand 4-tabling 3/6. Good luck, hope you don't bust /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

mcozzy1
03-14-2005, 11:48 PM
40-45BB is a pretty standard downswing. If you play 40 hours/week multitabling, you'd probably get one every week.

After several months with no monster downswings, I hit caverous 200 BB downswing this month. This is slightly on the bad side. 150 BB is the standard "really bad run".

I heard a story of an excellent 2+2 player who hit a 500 BB downswing. So, 40 BB is pretty much small potatos (or potatoes depending on who your spelling consultant is).