PDA

View Full Version : Forum Jargon

citanul
03-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Hey all, as a start to SNG Faq 2005, I'm making a list of terminology that is commonly used in this forum. Any additions, corrections, or deletions that people think necessary would be great. This list, and the writeups are probably pretty bleh right now, since I'm not feeling great.

citanul

This is what I've got so far:

SNG: Sit-and-Go – the type of game discussed in this forum. Generally a tournament with one table, but more generally, any tournament where players simply take seats, and begin when all seats are filled, instead of being assigned seats.

MTT: Multi-table tournament – a tournament with many tables.

BB: Big Blind

SB: Small Blind

Bubble: The point in any tournament when there is one player more than there are paid finishing positions

ITM: In the Money percentage – the percentage of games played that a player finishes in the money. (# money finshes)/(total games)

ROI: Return on Investment – the average return a player earns on an investment of $1. (Total Prizes Won)/(Total Buyins) Note: Total buyins includes the rake paid to the card room.

Hourly Rate: The amount of money a player earns in an hour of play. (Total Prizes Won – Total Buyins)/(Hours Played)

NL: No Limit – a form of poker where at any point in the hand, a player can wager any amount of their chips, greater than the blind, unless a smaller bet would put the player all in.

PL: Pot Limit – a form of poker where at any point in the hand, a player can wager any amount up to the amount that is in the pot after their call of any bet to them.

HE: Hold ‘em

Push: To bet all of your chips, or as much of them as anyone who can call you can call.

ICM: Independent Chip Model – a mathematical model used to help determine prize share equity based on chip stacks.

Raise the pot: a call of any bet to a player plus a raise of the total amount in the pot already. Example: if there are $2 in the pot, and an opponent bets $2, a player raising the pot would have to put in $8 – the call of $2, plus the amount that would then be in the pot, $2 from before, $2 from the opponent, and $2 from the player.

All In: When a player has all of his chips already bet into a hand. This player cannot be folded out of the hand by future betting.

rohjoh
03-11-2005, 08:00 PM
EV is one that comes to mind...

AtticusFinch
03-11-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
EV is one that comes to mind...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, EV, $EV, and the difference between the two.

Also, "holla."

citanul
03-11-2005, 08:05 PM
d-uh.
$EV, cEV added.
Folding equity on the list as well.

citanul

Blackjack
03-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Pwned - Getting your money in against the nuts.

sofere
03-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Some book abbrevs may be good:
TOP, HOH, TPFAP, etc.

Not Terminology but good for the FAQ:
Hand Converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

ICM Calculator (http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~sharnett/ICM/ICM.html)

pokerstove (http://www.pokerstove.com)

some links to explanations of pot odds and implied odds would be good too.

Scuba Chuck
03-11-2005, 08:29 PM
OP - Original Post or Original Poster.

Also, I think you can skip, "All in." If you don't know this, then you don't belong here! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

citanul
03-11-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OP - Original Post or Original Poster.

Also, I think you can skip, "All in." If you don't know this, then you don't belong here! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

editted.

Benholio
03-11-2005, 10:08 PM
CR
TAG
LAG
Weak-tight

Are a few off the top of my head. Maybe a basic description of loose/tight/weak/agressive since combinations of those are commonly used to describe a villain. (and despite how obvious they seem, they are sometimes misunderstood/misused)

SNOWBALL138
03-11-2005, 10:09 PM
vp$ip ?

I don't know if that abbrev. is correct. Is this a pokertracker or playerview term.

Ohhhh. Could you explain what those do exactly too? I still play manually.

u could also add :

1. C/R
2. BB
3. SB
4. TPTK
5. Second pair (FYI do people on the forum use this term? its a PP thats higher than middle but lower than top)
6. FWIW
7. IMHO, and IMO
8. LAG
9. TAG
10. Ni Han

K. I'm sure most of those were on your list already. BTW, u may find the cardplayer archives of Michael Weisenburg useful. He has a poker dictionary.

scotty34
03-11-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
5. Second pair (FYI do people on the forum use this term? its a PP thats higher than middle but lower than top)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if you correctly understand FYI /images/graemlins/grin.gif

skipperbob
03-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Do you have R.O.I. correct?...I thought it was Total Win - Total Invest divided by total Invest ?....Also "PLO-8"
Also "Stop & Go"..."IMO"..."FWIW"....AVatars....More later

mlee
03-11-2005, 10:22 PM
When I first started reading, I didn't know what IGHM or MHIG meant. Don't know if appropriate for the faq.

ReDeYES88
03-11-2005, 10:26 PM
i've seen people ask what the "t" means in Flop: (t540)

ReDeYES88
03-11-2005, 10:29 PM
CO
UTG
PF
PFR
T
R
PS = poker stars
PP = both uses
UB
OOP

. . . .someone STOP me .. ..

skipperbob
03-11-2005, 10:37 PM
IMO the forum needs a discussion of how to use pokertracker, Aleo spreadsheet, and hand-converter.

ReDeYES88
03-11-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IMO the forum needs a discussion of how to use pokertracker, Aleo spreadsheet, and hand-converter.

[/ QUOTE ]

. .goddammit Skipper, what's next?. . .spamming a link to the FAQ at Party? . .. .geeeeesh . ..gotta keep SOMETHING quiet, no? . .. .

citanul
03-11-2005, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
CR
TAG
LAG
Weak-tight

Are a few off the top of my head. Maybe a basic description of loose/tight/weak/agressive since combinations of those are commonly used to describe a villain. (and despite how obvious they seem, they are sometimes misunderstood/misused)

[/ QUOTE ]

CR, TAG, LAG, and a discussion of weak/tight/loose/aggressive added to the list.

citanul

citanul
03-11-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
vp$ip ?

I don't know if that abbrev. is correct. Is this a pokertracker or playerview term.

Ohhhh. Could you explain what those do exactly too? I still play manually.

u could also add :

1. C/R
2. BB
3. SB
4. TPTK
6. FWIW
7. IMHO, and IMO
8. LAG
9. TAG
10. Ni Han

K. I'm sure most of those were on your list already. BTW, u may find the cardplayer archives of Michael Weisenburg useful. He has a poker dictionary.

[/ QUOTE ]

TP(blank)K - added to the list
Second pair - not added to the list
FWIW/IMHO/IMO - this isn't a list of internet jargon, it's a list of 2+2 sng specific jargon, not added to the list
Ni Han - added to the list for humor value.

citanul
03-11-2005, 11:22 PM
ouch, me and skipper are the mean ones around here.

citanul

citanul
03-11-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have R.O.I. correct?...I thought it was Total Win - Total Invest divided by total Invest ?....Also "PLO-8"
Also "Stop & Go"..."IMO"..."FWIW"....AVatars....More later

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed the ROI formula, thanks for pointing that out /images/graemlins/smile.gif d-uh.

PLO-8 added to this list
Stop and Go added to the list

IMO and FWIW not added.

citanul

citanul
03-11-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I first started reading, I didn't know what IGHM or MHIG meant. Don't know if appropriate for the faq.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the [censored] does IGHM mean?

Is Good Hand My?

MHIG is added, I guess. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

citanul

citanul
03-11-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i've seen people ask what the "t" means in Flop: (t540)

[/ QUOTE ]

A brief discussion of "tXXX" as tournament chips will be included.

citanul

citanul
03-11-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
CO
UTG
PF
PFR
T
R
PS = poker stars
PP = both uses
UB
OOP

. . . .someone STOP me .. ..

[/ QUOTE ]

T and R not added. I don't think that anyone uses those, nor do I think anyone uses "F" for flop.

UTG, PFR, PS, PP, UB will be included.

What's OOP?

citanul

citanul
03-11-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. I was thiking of putting most of these as seperate headings in the sng. Not in the definitions section, but in the overall scheme of things, there will be some discussion, or link to discussion, of pokertracker, aleo, hand converter, pokerstove, twodimes, etc.

citanul

Barrett's Last Privateer
03-11-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first read the acronym I thought it was IGHN, and stood for I Go Home Now, menaing what I do when I'm all in and MHING.

BLP

citanul
03-11-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first read the acronym I thought it was IGHN, and stood for I Go Home Now, menaing what I do when I'm all in and MHING.

BLP

[/ QUOTE ]

I like you already.

citanul

Cry Me A River
03-12-2005, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Bubble: The point in any tournament when there is one player more than there are paid finishing positions

[/ QUOTE ]

This is strictly personal preference, but, I'd rather something like, "The point in a tourney where most players start playing extremely [weak] tight because it's close to ITM and if the blinds are large the ability to steal becomes critical".

This is a little more significant in MTT's where bubble play often starts well before ITM+1 but it also comes up quite a bit in SNGs where a 10 player SNG suddenly starts playing like a bubble with 5 players left, particularly when the 5th stack is tiny.

ReDeYES88
03-12-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What's OOP?

[/ QUOTE ]

out of position

Paul2432
03-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Lots of good suggestions here.

You might also want to include a link to the 2+2 list of abbreviations (found towards the bottom of the green bar on the left side of the screen).

A lot of the abbreviations are listed there. You can keep your list to just S&G specific abbreviations.

Also one I have not seen. STT=single table tournament

Paul

elonkra
03-14-2005, 10:25 PM
The gap concept? I don't know what it is.

skipperbob
03-14-2005, 10:34 PM
OMG...Don't forget "holla"

Scuba Chuck
03-14-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The gap concept? I don't know what it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

The gap concept (perhaps TGC should/could be added to jargon) is not jargon as much as it is a 'concept.' It will likely have a VERY large section all to itself.

citanul
03-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Update:

SNG: Sit-and-Go – the type of game discussed in this forum. Generally a tournament with one table, but more generally, any tournament where players simply take seats, and begin when all seats are filled, instead of being assigned seats.

Bubble: The point in any tournament when players begin to play extra tight in order to attempt to assure themselves a finish in the money. Usually, this occurs when there is one player more than there are paid finishing positions

ITM: In the Money percentage – the percentage of games played that a player finishes in the money. (# money finshes)/(total games)

ROI: Return on Investment – the average return a player earns on an investment of $1. (Total Prizes Won-Total Buyins paid)/(Total Buyins) Note: Total buyins includes the rake paid to the card room.

Hourly Rate: The amount of money a player earns in an hour of play. (Total Prizes Won – Total Buyins)/(Hours Played)

NL: No Limit – a form of poker where at any point in the hand, a player can wager any amount of their chips, greater than the blind, unless a smaller bet would put the player all in.

PL: Pot Limit – a form of poker where at any point in the hand, a player can wager any amount up to the amount that is in the pot after their call of any bet to them.

Push: To bet all of your chips, or as much of them as anyone who can call you can call.

ICM: Independent Chip Model – a mathematical model used to help determine prize share equity based on chip stacks.

Raise the pot: a call of any bet to a player plus a raise of the total amount in the pot already. Example: if there are $2 in the pot, and an opponent bets $2, a player raising the pot would have to put in $8 – the call of $2, plus the amount that would then be in the pot, $2 from before, $2 from the opponent, and $2 from the player.

EV: Expected Value – the expected profit or loss associated with a decision.

$EV: Dollar Expected Value – the expected profit or loss in dollars associated with a decision.

cEV: Chip Expected Value – the expected profit or loss in chips associated with a decision.

Folding Equity: (Percentage of times all remaining opponents will fold to your bet)x(total chips you stand to gain when they do all fold)

TOP, HOH TPFAP, C&R: Books – Respecitvely, “Theory of Poker,” “Harrington on Hold’em,” “Tournament Poker for Advanced Players,” “Ciaffone and Reuben”

OP: Original Post(er) – refers to the top post in a thread.

CR: Check Raise – When a player checks the first time it their turn to act on a given round of betting, and then raises after another player bets acting after them.

Tight: Adjective used to describe a style of play where very few hands are played.

Loose: Adjective used to describe a style of play where many hands are played.

Weak: Adjective used to describe a style of play where a player plays too passively. Typically this player will check, call, and fold too much, while betting and raising too little.

Aggressive: Adjective used to describe a player who plays in the opposite manner to the weak player. This player bets and raises often, while calling and checking infrequently. The exception would be checkraising.

TAG: Tight Aggressive

LAG: Loose Aggressive

TPxK: Top pair x Kicker. If x is “T” it means “top.” If x is a number, such as 2, it means “Top pair, 2nd Kicker,” etc.

VPIP: Voluntarily put in pot – percentage of the time a player puts money into the pot.

Stop and Go: Instead of going all in from the blinds against a preflop raiser who would be pot committed to calling a reraise, calling the raise, and going all in on any flop.

t500: or t(any other number) – denotes tournament chips.

CO: Cutoff – The player to the right of the button

Button: The player who acts last on every round of betting except preflop. The blinds are seated to the left of this player.

UTG: Under the Gun – The player who acts first in a hand. This player is seated immediately to the left of the big blind.

PF: Preflop – All action between the deal of hole cards and the deal of the flop.

PFR: Preflop Raiser, or Preflop Raise percentage – Either describes the player who took the lead of action by raising preflop, or the percentage of the time that a given player raises preflop.

PS, PP, UB: Pokerstars, Party Poker, Ultimate Bet

PP: Pocket Pair – In Hold ‘em, when a player is dealt a pair as their two hole cards.

MHIG: My Hand is Good – At showdown, you won.
PLO8

HU: Heads Up – playing poker 1 on 1.

The Gap Concept: The concept that it takes a better hand to call a bet than to make the same bet.

The Gap: The varying amount by which a hand needs to be better to call a bet than would be needed to make the same bet.

STT: Single Table Tournament – any tournament where all the players start the game at one table.

OOP: Out of Position – being in a position where you will be likely to be amongst the first to act for the entire hand.

pokerswami
03-16-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG: Under the Gun – The player who acts first in a hand. This player is seated immediately to the left of the big blind.

[/ QUOTE ]
Should this read "...who acts first before the flop."? (or pre-flop)
I'm thinking about how converter lists the game action. When we describe action in conversation, we might describe someone as being UTG when he is first to act on the turn, for instance, even though he may have been in the big blind or MP1 before the flop. We're saying he is UTG because he is the first to act. Converter will continue to list the pre-flop UTG player as UTG even if he is 2nd or 3rd to act on subsequent rounds of betting.

Maybe you should distinguish between UTG and UTG in converter.

asofel
03-16-2005, 12:16 AM
FE = Folding equity (insert concise definition i'm not slick enough to provide)

citanul
03-16-2005, 12:42 AM
Folding equity is already in there.

citanul

citanul
03-16-2005, 12:43 AM
the under the gun player acts first in the hand, which means first preflop. this is pretty concise i think. if there's general outcry, it can easilly be changed.

citanul

citanul
03-16-2005, 01:46 AM
In case you don't read the subjects, now alphebetized.

$EV: Dollar Expected Value – the expected profit or loss in dollars associated with a decision.

Aggressive: Adjective used to describe a player who plays in the opposite manner to the weak player. This player bets and raises often, while calling and checking infrequently. The exception would be checkraising.

Bubble: The point in any tournament when players begin to play extra tight in order to attempt to assure themselves a finish in the money. Usually, this occurs when there is one player more than there are paid finishing positions

Button: The player who acts last on every round of betting except preflop. The blinds are seated to the left of this player.

C&R: Ciaffone and Reuben

cEV: Chip Expected Value – the expected profit or loss in chips associated with a decision.

CO: Cutoff – The player to the right of the button

CR: Check Raise – When a player checks the first time it their turn to act on a given round of betting, and then raises after another player bets acting after them.

EV: Expected Value – the expected profit or loss associated with a decision.

Folding Equity: (Percentage of times all remaining opponents will fold to your bet)x(total chips you stand to gain when they do all fold)

The Gap: The varying amount by which a hand needs to be better to call a bet than would be needed to make the same bet.

The Gap Concept: The concept that it takes a better hand to call a bet than to make the same bet.

HOH: Harrington on Hold ’em

HU: Heads Up – playing poker 1 on 1.

LAG: Loose Aggressive

Loose: Adjective used to describe a style of play where many hands are played.

MHIG: My Hand is Good – At showdown, you won.

OOP: Out of Position – being in a position where you will be likely to be amongst the first to act for the entire hand.

OP: Original Post(er) – refers to the top post in a thread.

PF: Preflop – All action between the deal of hole cards and the deal of the flop.

PFR: Preflop Raiser, or Preflop Raise percentage – Either describes the player who took the lead of action by raising preflop, or the percentage of the time that a given player raises preflop.

PLO8: Pot Limit Omaha 8 or Better

PP: Party Poker

PP: Pocket Pair – In Hold ‘em, when a player is dealt a pair as their two hole cards.

PS: Poker Stars

Raise the Pot: a call of any bet to a player plus a raise of the total amount in the pot already. Example: if there are $2 in the pot, and an opponent bets $2, a player raising the pot would have to put in $8 – the call of $2, plus the amount that would then be in the pot, $2 from before, $2 from the opponent, and $2 from the player.

ROI: Return on Investment – the average return a player earns on an investment of $1. (Total Prizes Won-Total Buyins paid)/(Total Buyins) Note: Total buyins includes the rake paid to the card room.

Stop and Go: Instead of going all in from the blinds against a preflop raiser who would be pot committed to calling a reraise, calling the raise, and going all in on any flop.

STT: Single Table Tournament – any tournament where all the players start the game at one table.

t(any number): denotes tournament chips.

TAG: Tight Aggressive

Tight: Adjective used to describe a style of play where very few hands are played.

TOP: Theory of Poker

TPFAP: Tournament Poker for Advanced Players

TPxK: Top pair x Kicker. If x is “T” it means “top.” If x is a number, such as 2, it means “Top pair, 2nd Kicker,” etc.

UB: Ultimate Bet

VPIP: Voluntarily put in pot – percentage of the time a player puts money into the pot.

Weak: Adjective used to describe a style of play where a player plays too passively. Typically this player will check, call, and fold too much, while betting and raising too little.

Scuba Chuck
03-16-2005, 02:07 AM
So, now when do we get to the good stuff?

Do you have a general outline you're trying to follow?

citanul
03-16-2005, 02:12 AM
Heh, the good stuff will come, I promise. I've got a couple of people who have PMed to say that if I want to divy up some work, they're up for it.

A poll I'm working on getting right is the start of the next leg, I think.

citanul

gasgod
03-16-2005, 03:52 AM
How about "holla"? (I'm still trying to figure out what it means. If not suitable for your list, please at least clue me in.) /images/graemlins/confused.gif

GG

Scuba Chuck
03-16-2005, 01:20 PM
I think the following two are worth adding:

texture

overlay

citanul
03-16-2005, 02:39 PM
consider it done.

citanul

Drac
03-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Rainbow,as in A 3 6 rainbow.
Brick
Coordinated Board

Cry Me A River
03-16-2005, 07:16 PM
This may seem pedantic since these are all obvious examples (to us, anyway, but maybe not to newbies), but, as the glossary grows and more obscure references are added tages like this might be a good idea:

HOH: Harrington on Hold ’em [Book]
PS: Poker Stars [Online Poker Site]
TOP: Theory of Poker [Book]
TPFAP: Tournament Poker for Advanced Players [Book]
UB: Ultimate Bet [Online Poker Site]

etc

To add:

OESD: "Open Ended Straight Draw"

B&M: "Brick and Mortar"; Any game played live and in person, particularly in a casino or card room.

There is some discussion of tactical elements, like Stop & Go, do you want to add others like pot odds, implied odds, steal, re-steal, etc...?