PDA

View Full Version : Brier Ciaffone book hand question

David Ottosen
09-27-2002, 05:32 PM
Page 175 hand 1

Basics:
10-20, solid limps, you limp in late middle with Jd9d, cutoff limps, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: K73 no diamonds

Checked around

Turn: 9 puts two clubs on board

Check to you, you bet, cutoff folds, BB folds, solid raises. What should you do?

Brier's answer: fold
My first thought: raise

Brier's reasoning: solid has a king and its not uncommon to slowplay top pair on such a raggedy unconnected board with only one potential overcard
My reasoning: ok flop slowplay I believe. Turn check??

Am I crazy?

09-27-2002, 08:18 PM
I agree with the fold. In my experience, a solid player would lead bet the turn with a flush draw. With no betting on the flop he might be able to take the pot right there.
A check-raise semi-bluff (flush draw, Q-J) is possible but doesn't seem right. I think it's more likely he slow played. I would put him on a hand like KQ or 77.
It is rare that a player will check twice with a big hand but it does happen, usually in spots like this. I use this tactic in pots unraised pre-flop when I've been running well and people have stopped calling my bets.

I'll look to call worse players for stone cold bluffs.

Jamie

Jim Brier
09-28-2002, 03:50 AM
In addition to the reasons given in the book and what the other poster has stated, here is something else to think about. If you call now, what will you do at the river when a blank comes and he comes out betting? Whatever rationale you use to continue here on fourth street would also compel you to call at the river. This is not exactly a big pot given the lack of a preflop raise and no betting on the flop.