PDA

View Full Version : Old Laptop Modem Question

Voltron87
03-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Hello all,

I have a fairly old Toshiba Satellite laptop which I want to put back into use. I have a new destop which I love, but I'm looking to be able to use this old laptop in wireless areas (my university's spaces, etc.) The processor is a Pentium II and I'm not really worried about it running Partypoker, I'm wondering how I can get an internet connection on it. It has a "PC 56K Modem Card" made by 3com with "XJACK connector". It goes in the side and a little phoneline jack pops out of it.

I'm pretty good with computers, but with internet/wireless stuff I'm pretty clueless. Is there any way I can get internet access though this? What do I need to purchase?

Thanks a lot.

smoore
03-11-2005, 07:39 PM
A wireless card should fit in place of the modem, just take it down to the retailer and have them show you.

Voltron87
03-11-2005, 07:48 PM
So I need to buy some kind of wireless card? If that's what I need I'll take it to a PC store and get them to show me which one fits and what not.

Freakin
03-11-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I need to buy some kind of wireless card? If that's what I need I'll take it to a PC store and get them to show me which one fits and what not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Voltron,

Get a PCMCIA Wireless 802.11g networking card. Rip out that old modem card and pop the new one in. You'll be able to get on any unsecured wireless networks in the area.

Freakin

Voltron87
03-11-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Voltron,

Get a PCMCIA Wireless 802.11g networking card. Rip out that old modem card and pop the new one in. You'll be able to get on any unsecured wireless networks in the area.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like some hax0r3d stuff. How much do they go for?

Freakin
03-11-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Voltron,

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like some hax0r3d stuff. How much do they go for?

[/ QUOTE ]

$50 (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-110&depa=0)

I like Linksys, personally.

Freakin