PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistent Performance

THWAP!
03-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Everyone,

I have a problem, and I want to know: (1) how many people this affects, and the extent to which this affects them, and (2) how people deal with this type of problem?

Basically, I suffer from inconsistent performance. Whether or not I suffer from this more than most people do, I have no idea, but I definitely feel like some nights, I have my A game, and some nights, I have my C minus game. Some nights, I can even vary within a session. I know that part of it is just not playing when you don't have passably good game, and I definitely practice that.

But another dimension of my inconsistency is this. I'm not unwilling to make risky plays. So, sometimes, you might call an all-in bet w just top pair, and it'll be good. Sometimes, you might make a bluff, and bluff into the nuts. Basically, sometimes, I look brilliant, and other times, I look stupid. Overall, I look brilliant more often than I look stupid, and I'm willing to take the risk, but I guess I want to look less stupid more of the time (really, who doesn't?).

So, ultimately, I'm looking to (1) even out my performance, both from night to night and even wiithin sessions, and (2) retain my ability to make very good plays while cutting down on my Big Mistakes.

Thoughts?

Demana
03-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Everyone makes mistakes and no one is able to play their "A" game on a nightly basis. Take some time off, think about the long term, and re-read some of your poker books (or look through 2+2).

Then come back to the game relaxed and ready to play. With the long term in mind, you'll notice that the variations in your play only make a small fluctuation in your long term earnings and that as long as you learn from your mistakes and fix the leaks you've found, you will continue on the upward trend.

Also, don't play if your "game" is not good enough to beat the table you're at. Instead, leave the table. There is always tomorrow and your "A" game is more likely to be there because you'll objectively be thinking about what was missing from the night before.