PDA

View Full Version : Line Moves So What Do You Do?

hogua
03-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Ok, you did your research on a game. You double checked everything and then you found a line you liked... a lot. Well, you liked it enough to bet it early in the day. Then the line starts to move away from you. You took under 190 now the number is 193.5. You bet the dog at +7, and now the dog is at +8.5, etc.

You checked for recent news that may influence the game (injuries, illness, recent arrests, etc), but no new information is out there.

Are you know worried or excited? Do you double up on what is now a better line, stand pat, or look for a hedge?

I guess the main question here is how much faith do you have in your selections when it seem like the rest of the world thinks your all wrong? Granted, this can be a very profitable situation to be in as long as you're right and the public is wrong, but, on the other hand there might be some info that you're missing or misreading.

I'm somewhat new to sportsbetting on a regular basis and I don't know how to react to or what to feel in these situations. Perhaps, this is because I new need to the game and don't have 100% confidence in myself yet. Perhaps, I'm not realizing new opportunities after placing my intial bet.

I would love to hear what some of you regulars do in these spots.

tech
03-11-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, you did your research on a game. You double checked everything and then you found a line you liked... a lot. Well, you liked it enough to bet it early in the day. Then the line starts to move away from you. You bet the dog at +7, and now the dog is at +8.5, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on what sport/game you are talking about. If it is a Rider/Niagra college hoops game, your pick was dead wrong -- sharps are all over the favorite. If it is Colts/Pats in the NFL, it doesn't mean nearly as much, since it is much more likely to be a reaction to public money.

hogua
03-11-2005, 07:42 PM
Tech, thanks for the reply. You answered the question I was asking without asking it and that was how much faith do/should we put in the public's picks.

You answer makes a lot of sense. The more mainstream the game (i.e. the more the public is interested in it) the less a line movement would be of concern. On a more "niche" game, the sharps will be the ones betting on the game (and thus moving the line).