PDA

View Full Version : Hand analysis.....and help getting deep in tourneys

jlukowski
03-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Recent hand from Pearl satellite on Paradise....
Blinds are 300-600

Hero is sb with 5800 chips...14th position out of 20...top 12 get seat.

folded around to the button who pushes...he has me covered

I have A10 off.....Do I call?

I folded to wait for a better spot...then on the button i get 89 and it is folded to me...I push and bb with similar stack calls with A2 off...busted out in 20th

My logic was I would rather push with 89 then call an all-in with A10...How flawed is this thinking?

I have found myself in similar scenarios as of late...I keep getting chipped away until I am desperate....At what point (# of BB's) do you start calling all-ins with AJs....77,etc? thanks for all help

boxedIn
03-12-2005, 03:52 AM
The call with AT is questionable at best. If you have seen the guy push allin a lot previously, or you feel he's getting desperate and this is his one chance to try to grab some chips, it might be worth the call. But at the very best you're going to be a dominating A 15-20% of the time, dominated 10%, and somewhere between 50% and 65% to win the rest. Not worth it.

You had bad luck on your 89 hand, twice over. First of all, the call by A2, if he's similarly stacked and you haven't been a ridiculous maniac (and even then, I don't like it) is a horrible call. Secondly, you didn't win 89 v. A2. You should win that more often than you think.

Since this is a satellite (with flat payout, I'm assuming) some other factors could come into consideration here, such as smallest stacks, if you might have been able to wait out a 12th finish (I don't like the strategy, but it might be viable).

Either way, seems like you just had bad luck this tournament.

kapw7
03-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Isnt A2 a (slight) favourite to 89?

CardSharpCook
03-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Calling with ATo to a button All-in is very ok.... and I mean EXTREMELY OK!!! I think it probable that you are ahead here, and he is offering to double you up when you have a very short stack. I call here.

Pushing with 89o from the button is good. Even if you are called, you're probably not terribly far behind unless you are very unlucky and he has 88-AA. And even if he does, 89 does make a str8 or two pair every once in a while....

You're reasoning is right on. I'd much rather push with 89o than call with ATs. However, in this situation, given your chip stack and the position of the raiser, I call with my fingers crossed with ATo.

CSC

EDIT: I do not play satelittes so I am unaware of how they might change your strategy.

MLG
03-12-2005, 03:55 PM
in a tourney call, in a sat fold the A10. I also think you shouldn't push with 89 here given that its a sat, although if it was a normal tourney the push would be fine.

Edit: oh and his call with A2 is absolutely atrocious.

curtains
03-12-2005, 04:08 PM
In a satellite this is a clear fold. Your thinking that you'd rather be going allin with hands is correct, especially because people play ultra tight in super satellites.