PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy pre-made guacamole?

pshreck
03-11-2005, 04:25 PM
... from the supermarket, in the vegetable section? Looks ok, but have had some friends warn me that you have to make your own guacamole and also eat it within 24 hours.

hoyaboy1
03-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Making your own is tastier, but the pre-made stuff is fine.

rmarotti
03-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Your friends are right.

Sponger15SB
03-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Yeah you have to eat your own guac right away, but homemade is 100x better than the store bought.

jakethebake
03-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Oh the humanity... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

diddle
03-11-2005, 04:29 PM
the premade crap is made with milk and other weird ingredients. it has the consistency of doo doo butter.

make your own. smash some avocados, put in some lemon, add a little hot salsa if you want.

pshreck
03-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Ok, thanks for the info.

Then... how likely is it that I can find ripe guacamole right away?

How easy is it to make without a food processor?

Is it retarded to attempt to use a blender to help out with the mashing?

Greg J
03-11-2005, 04:30 PM
No way! Homemade is the way to go! Plus, you can keep homemade guac over 24 hours, just seal it well.

jakethebake
03-11-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, thanks for the info.

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes like two minutes. You just sort of squish up the avocado. you don't need a food processor. it would take longer to clean one than to squish up the av.

Greg J
03-11-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, thanks for the info.

[/ QUOTE ]
Forget teh blender. Let the avacoda sit in lime juice then mash it with a fork with other ingredients: minced garlic, diced onion, diced tomato, and salt to taste. Seal it well and it will last a couple of days. It might turn a little brown, but stir it up and that will go away -- it will still be fine to eat. Trust me on this -- i have done this a LOT.

jakethebake
03-11-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Forget teh blender. Let the avacoda sit in lime juice then mash it with a fork with other ingredients: minced garlic, diced opinion, diced tomato, and salt to taste. Seal it well and it will last a couple of days. It might turn a little brown, but stir it up and that will go away -- it will still be fine to eat. Trust me on this -- i have done this a LOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

After you make it, put the seed back in. That keeps it from turning brown.

Greg J
03-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Cool -- thanks for that tip. I will try it next time.

I should go without saying of course that you refrigerate the stuff. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Another trick when making guac: after you have cut the avacado in half, cut a grid in the "meat" back and forth, then spoon it out and it will be in chucks. Then put the lime juice on top -- the acidity helps break it down and make it easier to mash up.

Dangergirl
03-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Make your own next time. It's easy to cut up, and tastes better like that.

The Armchair
03-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Buy a coconut for a dime.
Ask your sister for a dime to buy a lime.
Put the lime in the coconut.
Drink 'em both up.

Call the doctor. Tell him you have a stomach ache.
(If you are a puppet frog, tell him you have a flipper ache.)
Ask him if there's nothing you can take to releive your belly/flipper ache.
Try not to get angry if he calls you a "silly woman."

pshreck
03-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Ok, I went with the good word of 2+2 and just made my own.

I mixed up 2 good size, riped avocadoes.
Added a bunch of garlic.
Added some chopped onions.
Added a few spoonfuls of a farm-fresh salsa.
Added plenty of salt, and was very liberal with the lemon juice and lime juice.

I am so glad I didnt buy it premade.... this is freaking delicious. I caught myself eating it with a spoon before I even could get to the chips. Good stuff.

bobbyi
03-11-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let the avacoda sit in lime juice then mash it with a fork with other ingredients

[/ QUOTE ]
Does it really help to have it sit in the lime juice before mashing? Or do I get the same effect by throwing in the juice at the same time I throw in all the other ingredients?

pshreck
03-11-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let the avacoda sit in lime juice then mash it with a fork with other ingredients

[/ QUOTE ]
Does it really help to have it sit in the lime juice before mashing? Or do I get the same effect by throwing in the juice at the same time I throw in all the other ingredients?

[/ QUOTE ]

The purpose of letting it sit in the lime juice is making it easier to mash up. I just found out that if the avocadoes are ripe enough, this isnt really neccesary.

Dangergirl
03-11-2005, 06:47 PM
You can also just continue to cut and mash it with a knife and fork and it will work out. Either way it's much better then store bought /images/graemlins/smile.gif