PDA

View Full Version : Sportsbettors really should take a look at Maxim!

02-26-2002, 05:15 PM
Besides having Tara Reid in the issue, another great reason to get this month's Maxim is because it gives some very good tips on how to make money on the NCAA Tournament. I would highly suggest checking it out.

It is too much to explain here, but it talks about how at least one 12 seed has beaten a 5 seed the first round 10 out of the last 11 years. Money lines pay around 6-1 so if you bet $100 on each 12 seed, history shows that as long as 1 12 seed wins, you profit $200. If 2 win, you win $800. There are a could of other really awesome tips.

My problem is my bookie or others that i know don't take moneylines. I have never bet on the internet and I'm far from Vegas. Is there a way I can get some $$$ on the tournament. Looking forward to hearing some comments.

Sheck

02-26-2002, 05:23 PM
Since seedings are arbitrary and the players are different every year, trying to determine a pattern like this from past events is pretty much voodoo.

02-26-2002, 06:08 PM
Intertops.com is a good betting site and pays punctually. They are safe to use, and have money lines.

Jeff

02-26-2002, 10:50 PM
This is a serious fallacy. Money lines on 5 vs 12 will almost NEVER pay 6-1. Most games with 5-12 have favorites of about 5-7 points and that corresponds with about a 3-1 payoff. If you get one you break even. Anyways its an old rule, people have been talking about it for many years. If you spot a trend that no one seems to find, that could be some small value. If you spot a trend that even the expert bracket pickers talk about on ESPN, forget it there is no value in it. Besides you have to agree with the other poster, these bracket set-ups are so arbitrary how could it be a trend?

If you really want a simple trend play mostly dogs first 2 or 3 rounds, then shift to favorites. That one has worked over and over because good teams tend to either overlook "easy" opponents or are pacing themselves for a long run. There is no need to win by any set margin, win and move on is all they focus on. However as it gets closer to the prize, the best teams get fired up and start focusing more. They never underestimate their opponents once its close to the end and further the little guys might have gotten lucky for a few rounds, but then they come up against quality foes and are in over their heads. Another reason this works is the lesser conferences are almost all gone by the Final 8. The public tends to grossly overrate the name conferences and belittle the smaller conferences. Look at W Kentucky, they would probably be the 3rd or 4th best team in the Big 10 and they have power ratings to prove it. However to the average Joe who tends to dominate the betting action in the tournament they couldn't hold the jock of the teams the Big 10 teams that got shut out of the NIT. This is where they are making a huge mistake and it pays to be on them. So in sum play the dogs a lot and your best plays will be to focus in on a middle of the pack conference (Ohio Valley, Colonial, Horizon, West Coast) and back them strong when they play a "name" conference (ACC, SEC, B12) and are getting points. Those are consistent winners almost every year in the first two rounds.