superbrawl
03-11-2005, 03:25 PM
When is this advantageous?

AtticusFinch
03-11-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I sometimes overbet with a huge hand, as many read it as a bluff/steal attempt and call with crap.

Pokerscott
03-11-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is advantageous when you have the best hand currently, but there are many many ways for your best hand to become second best. I usually overbet the pot when I flop 2 low pairs for example.

Pokerscott

SNOWBALL138
03-11-2005, 04:26 PM
I'll just assume that we're talking about value betting and not bluffing.

Overbetting is good when you think that it will not decrease the chances of getting called to the point where, in the long run, betting smaller would be better.

For instance, if I think that there is a 50% chance that my t200 river bet will get called, and an 80% chance that my t100 flop bet will get called, betting 200 is the better choice.

Of course, in STTs, chip expectation is only one of many things to take into consideration.

Here are some sitations that I can think of where overbetting is good:

1. You are in a hand with a very bad player who will call with almost anything.

2. You flop a monster on the flop against a preflop raiser who also hit the flop BUT:
1. The flop is scary
2. If the flop gets scarier, the raiser will fold.
3. The raiser will however, go in with you before the river.

An example would be if you hit a set of fours with 2 hearts on the board, an ace, and a jack. As you can see, there are 9 hearts, and 9 non heart tens, kings, and queens that can come to either complete a straight or a flush. Someone holding top pair here might shut down if the board gets ugly and you are calling the flop. Raising may be the better play. Or, betting huge.

3. They think you are bluffing.

Thats all I can think of for now. I look forward to reading everyone's posts on this topic. I'm glad you made this post.