PDA

View Full Version : movies and hobbies

M2d
03-11-2005, 03:06 PM
which movie did the most damage to it's subject matter passtime?

jakethebake
03-11-2005, 03:08 PM
I have no idea what this is supposed to be asking.

codewarrior
03-11-2005, 03:10 PM
The Color of Money, and it's not close. No one who decides to take up the game after watching it should be allowed to do so without first watching the Hustler, and then be made to read Playing off the Rail .

asofel
03-11-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Color of Money, and it's not close. No one who decides to take up the game after watching it should be allowed to do so without first watching the Hustler, and then be made to read Playing off the Rail .

[/ QUOTE ]

M2d
03-11-2005, 03:19 PM
basically, which movie, after it was released, led the most stupid idiots to that passtime.
As an example, after river, the amount of latin quoting amateur entymologists increased on rivers nationwide. most of them wouldn't be able to come up with enough fish for a single family dinner if they fished for a year, but they knew the latin names and lifecycles of every mayfly in the water.

jakethebake
03-11-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
basically, which movie, after it was released, led the most stupid idiots to that passtime.
As an example, after river, the amount of latin quoting amateur entymologists increased on rivers nationwide. most of them wouldn't be able to come up with enough fish for a single family dinner if they fished for a year, but they knew the latin names and lifecycles of every mayfly in the water.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO that definition is different from "damage" to said pastime.

In fishing, there's a scarce resource that fishermen are competing for so too many is -EV.

In pool you probably got more fish in the games, but I really don't remember it being nearly as big as the poker thing right now. It might have made it tougher to get a table for awhile.

As far as I'm concerned one breakdancer is one too many. Nuff said on that.

As for poker, I would blame it more on WPT than Rounders. Regardless, since the Internet means infinite tables, it's the one pastime that an infinite number of fish just makes better.

M2d
03-11-2005, 03:35 PM
It was a bored at work post. not too much depth.

for fishing, it made it irritating at first, but I think the long term effects were actually alright. since the ones attracted to fly fishing were the rich yuppie types, some of that money and influence went towards restoration and some of that influence went towards improved conservation regulations.

for poker, I agree that wpt and wsop had great influences on what we see now, but I think rounders primed the population a bit. frat boys quoting mike mcd at the oaks near uc berzerkeley were pretty common after the movie came out.

COM, i'm guessing, brought a bunch of tools and other assorted fish to the money games. helped pay my buddy's way through college, so i'm guessing he's not complaining.

b2eb kind of signaled the end of the whole breaking thing, didn't it? kind of an exclamation point on the absurdity of it all.