PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish sacrifice

ChristinaB
03-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Goldfish sacrifice to mark Iran's New Year (http://www.sundaytimes.co.za/zones/sundaytimesNEW/basket11st/basket11st1110437182.aspx)

Iran's love of goldfish as a table-top symbol of good luck costs the lives of five million of the creatures every year, a press report says.

From March to early April, when Iranians celebrate Norooz - or the new year in the Persian calendar — millions of the small fish are bred in unsanitary pools and transferred in buckets and tanks to the big cities.

But according to the Shargh newspaper, five million of them do not survive the journey to the Iranian home, where they feature alongside eggs, wheat, garlic, apples and coins as a sign of fertility, health and good luck.

Those that do survive are sometimes kept as pets or otherwise released into the wild - frequently ponds in parks - where their chances of survival are also low.

ddollevoet
03-11-2005, 01:07 PM
I don't even know how to respond to this. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
Goldfish sacrifice to mark Iran's New Year (http://www.sundaytimes.co.za/zones/sundaytimesNEW/basket11st/basket11st1110437182.aspx)

Iran's love of goldfish as a table-top symbol of good luck costs the lives of five million of the creatures every year, a press report says.

From March to early April, when Iranians celebrate Norooz - or the new year in the Persian calendar — millions of the small fish are bred in unsanitary pools and transferred in buckets and tanks to the big cities.

But according to the Shargh newspaper, five million of them do not survive the journey to the Iranian home, where they feature alongside eggs, wheat, garlic, apples and coins as a sign of fertility, health and good luck.

Those that do survive are sometimes kept as pets or otherwise released into the wild - frequently ponds in parks - where their chances of survival are also low.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what response you're looking at, but please limit future trolling to the politics forum.

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what response you're looking at, but please limit future trolling to the politics forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

wacki
03-11-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CORed
03-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Oh gosh, I'm just horrified at this tragic waste of piscatorial life! Something needs to be done!

Actually, I don't give a rat's ass. They raise the fish in "unsanitary ponds"? How shocking! Of course they'te unsanitary. There's goldfish crapping in them. What are they supposed to do, put diapers on the fish?

M2d
03-11-2005, 03:21 PM
In college my friends and I had a largemouth bass that we caught at (an undersized) 5" and named 'Mo'. we sacrificed many goldfish to the mighty Mo.

codewarrior
03-11-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-11-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In college my friends and I had a largemouth bass that we caught at (an undersized) 5" and named 'Mo'. we sacrificed many goldfish to the mighty Mo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now this is awesome.

M2d
03-11-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they're freekin carp. they can survive in almost any water conditions, including brakish.

kurosh
03-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Those damn terrorists!!! Can they get any lower? Animal cruelty now!

The Yugoslavian
03-11-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I say we nuke 'em.

Or at the very least go in with guns blazing.

Yugoslav

gamblore99
03-11-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Now this is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

CORed
03-11-2005, 04:09 PM
I'm assuming they are little tiny goldfish. Small fish (of any species) have a low survival rate in the wild. Most of them get eaten by bigger fish, birds, etc. That's why fish lay lots of eggs. People like Christina think this is terribly unfair.

M2d
03-11-2005, 04:23 PM
I think that's because of the environment. if you release goldfish into the wild you get, after a few years, big assed, ugly carp.