PDA

View Full Version : Original Ideas

J_V
09-26-2002, 08:00 PM
I have noticed a common theme among the posts lately. It seems that a majority of the posts are just a regurgitation of HFAP material. And I do not mean to criticize, since anyone that takes the time out to answer a post is really helping out, regardless of their advice, but why does every post have to follow the same trampled path?

For example, why does "Flopping Top Set" have posters who can't wait to point out the dangers of slowplaying, and the importance of limiting the field? We all know the dangers, remember we have seen "the book" too. Especially in the mid/high stakes forum, most have read HFAP and a lot of us are accomplished poker players who understand the material. So, lets put some original thoughts into these posts.

How bout this? You ever have someone tell you an unbelievable story, that you told them, but they forgot that you told them. So, essentially they are telling you a story that you were the source for. And they're more confident that it actually happened than you are? Well, that's what it feels like reading these posts. (Not that I wrote the books or anything or am some super cardplayer, but I feel like someone is trying to explain something I've heard a thousand times)

One reason all the David Sklansky threads are interesting (to me at least) is because no one says...."according to HFAP you should ......." People must challenge David with comments like in the games I play in this type of play is successful for the following reasons. They can't just say (as they might if it were another poster)....essentially, Mason and David told me to play it this way.

One reason Tommy Angelo breaks the view records is because he is an excellent writer AND because he brings original thought to every post. I assume he is a winner and he plays in a very different way from a prototypical HFAPer. I.e. three betting the second nut flush on the river and folding for a four bet, or playing excruciately tight in the blinds and very loose on the button. So my point is there are other ways to play cards and other lines of thinking, that can net you money.

Maybe I have just been lurking too long and all the posts seem the same to me now but....... can we please come up with some original thought, me included!

09-26-2002, 11:04 PM

BruceZ
09-27-2002, 10:02 AM
If we all go for the one blonde, then she rebuffs all of us, but if we each go for a brunette, we all get laid. The best course of action is to act in the best interest of ourselves and the group.

brad
09-27-2002, 08:16 PM
well did u see my post where i just called with JT top pair because it was heads up? everyone implied i was an idiot and the games must be super soft. (probably right on both counts, btw.) heh

i would post a lot more except like you said its hard to find hands that are not just run of the mill.

brad

J_V
09-27-2002, 09:04 PM
About that J-10 hand, I don't remember the specifics but it brings up an interesting point.

Some of Mason Malmuth's hands, particularly the one's where he "calls it all" look as if they are being played by total novices, and in fact I'm sure total novices have played "calling it all". We've all heard the mantra, an expert play can look very amatuerish....or something to that effect (they don't pay ME royalties). But, the responses you would get if Mason posted the hand would be completely different than if a "nobody" posted them.

Mason's post would certainly be more enjoyable, because people would be looking further into the issue.

09-27-2002, 09:17 PM

togilvie
09-30-2002, 10:44 AM
It's obviously dangerous to follow any rules in poker by rote. To that end, your post is great, and the suggestion well-founded.

That said, I'm not sure that the current mentality on these boards is incorrect. At it's core, poker play shouldn't change: you should make the plays that maximize your EV. That's fiendishly complicated, though, and takes a very firm foundation. Many/most of the "original" posts that I have seen have been seriously flawed with respect to that statistical foundation, and are almost certainly not maximizing EV. Due to lack of space, these posts are typically referred back to the core texts for a longer treatment of the correct play. Seems to me that this practice should continue.

Don't get me wrong -- I'll take well-founded new thoughts any day of the week. But the signal to noise ratio is typically very low on "new concepts", so I'm a skeptic.

10-01-2002, 09:41 PM
U go the brunette, I'll go for the one blonde. We both still get get laid. Oh but my girl much better looking. And that is the problem.

"The best course of action is to act in the best interest of ourselves" Check raise the top set on the flop and come out betting the turn. Max value, and still will limit the field.

baggins
10-05-2002, 03:59 AM
i'll take a blonde AND a brunette, thank you.

actually, it would be nice to get laid again. by most any reasonably attractive woman.