PDA

View Full Version : 10/20 NL Hand, did I play this right?

bobaloo23
03-11-2005, 05:35 AM
I"m in middle position, with $1200 stack, guy to my left has $500 and everyone else has $3000-$5000. Guy on my right bets $60, I call with KQs, 2 guys on my left call, and 2 guys in early position call. Flop is Q46 and it is checked to me. I'm almost certain I have best hand, but 2 guys after me have bet almost every single time it was checked to them and short stack guy went all in everytime it was checked so I was going for the trap. Anyway, it gets checked all the way around. Turn is a K giving me top 2. Board is all rainbow. Guy that was under the gun bets $300 and it's folded to me and I push. Was this the right move?

FeelGoodAboutHood
03-11-2005, 05:56 AM
absolutely. You're ahead of everything he possibly has, and your push gets alot of hands that you're ahead of to call.

I like it.

radioheadfan
03-11-2005, 06:21 AM
lol. i agree.

Kaz The Original
03-11-2005, 10:07 AM
Do you often call raises with KQs while short stacked? How loose was the raiser?

chuddo
03-11-2005, 10:16 AM
if the guy who bet out the 300 on the turn was the ep preflop raiser, then i think there is a chance you cracked a short AA or AK that was trying his best to get as much value out of his hand and get his chippies in the middle. he may have been going for the same flop check-raise you were and was just as surprised to have it get checked through.

provided one of the stacks to your left didn't flop a set and decide to slow-play (which is a bad idea for them, since they should be taking advantage of their image of autobetting when checked to), then i think you are well ahead here. i hope you turned him.

bobaloo23
03-11-2005, 06:19 PM
It was a game where almost every pot was raised to at least $60 - $100 preflop. If i'm going to be laying down KQs for almost minimum raises then I don't think i should be playing the game. And there was a cap on the buyin so I wasn't that shortstacked, the others had just been in the game all day. [ QUOTE ]
Do you often call raises with KQs while short stacked? How loose was the raiser?

[/ QUOTE ]

zaxx19
03-11-2005, 06:30 PM
I like...I like it alot ...has Meta-game implications also.

bobaloo23
03-11-2005, 06:31 PM
The guy who bet the $300 was under the gun, not the preflop raiser. He was also a pretty tight and smart player and only put the money in with the nuts, but he also would take a chance to steal a pot with a bet after everyone checked. The 2 guys after me weren't smart enough to try a slowplay which would have been bad anyway with there image, they must have had no piece of the board at all. So when it was folded to me for $300 I put the bettor on either AK or KQ same as me because how tight he was. He wouldn't have limped in with KK or QQ in this game so that was out. And he normally wouldn't play hands like 44 or 66 under the gun because he was sure to get raised. Anyway he had 44 and flopped the set. Does anyone think I could have gotten away from this hand? I don't post too often here and usually see my mistake if I get busted. But I just don't think I could have getten away from top 2 pair under these circumstances. What do you think?

[ QUOTE ]
if the guy who bet out the 300 on the turn was the ep preflop raiser, then i think there is a chance you cracked a short AA or AK that was trying his best to get as much value out of his hand and get his chippies in the middle. he may have been going for the same flop check-raise you were and was just as surprised to have it get checked through.

provided one of the stacks to your left didn't flop a set and decide to slow-play (which is a bad idea for them, since they should be taking advantage of their image of autobetting when checked to), then i think you are well ahead here. i hope you turned him.

[/ QUOTE ]

iceman5
03-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Calling a raise (even a small one) with KQ (suited or not) is a recipe for disaster, especially if you think theres going to be 4-5 callers.

Top pair isnt going to cut it in one of these hands. Of course when you hit top 2 piar its tougher to get away from, but avoidint calling these type raises will keep you out of trouble.

You said that UTG wouldnt normally have 66 or 44 because he knew there would be a raise. Thats exactly why you can play 66 or 44 UTG. Those are much better hands to call a raise with than KQ.

Flopping a set in a raised pot is the bread and butter of most NL games.

mgsimpleton
03-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Bobaloo, I almost thought that I liked the play until I thought about it and read this part of your response.

"He was also a pretty tight and smart player and only put the money in with the nuts, but he also would take a chance to steal a pot with a bet after everyone checked."

given that you know this, what is he really calling an all in there with that you can beat?

The range of hands he could have is something like - KQ, AK, 44, 66, TJ.

So your all in - chops with KQ and loses to 44 and 66. AK is folding and TJ is folding. He is not calling with anything you are beating. Sure, if you really think he might have TJ then you don't let him draw to his 8 outs for cheap but that doesn't seem to be your thinking and furthermore, given his range of hands, it seems like this would be a lot to risk unless you had an absolutely sick read.

Just my opinion, but I think a call here and then call down the river depending on how much he bets. If he has AK let him draw to 3 outs and put more money in on the river, otherwise save yourself your stack. I'm folding to a river all in.