PDA

View Full Version : Offensive to people who are Jewish?

CallMeIshmael
03-11-2005, 01:02 AM
Hey all,

A little background: I'm a huge Halloween fan, and am always looking for a costume. I go to Cornell University, which has a very significant Jewish population.

I saw a Chewbacca costume on sale for dirt cheap, and had an idea, but I don't know if it would be 'kosher' with everyone around campus.

I want to throw on a Yamkika, get some curls, and make a sash that says 'Jewbacca' on it.

I have 5 close friends who are Jewish, and they all said it was totally cool. But, they're all pretty moderate.

So, would anyone out there find this offensive?

Thanks

KidPokerX
03-11-2005, 01:06 AM
haha no way. I think it's kinda funny.
Planning for halloween already? eek
Nice idea though!

-KidPokerX

sam h
03-11-2005, 01:06 AM
I would find it pretty funny. But you are almost guaranteed to stumble across some people who will not.

istewart
03-11-2005, 01:08 AM
If you're at Cornell I'd be prepared to end up in the gorges by night's end. The Jewish population is insane.

Yarmulke*, btw. I think it's okay though.

[censored]
03-11-2005, 01:10 AM
I think you will offend those who are easily offended, or who look to be offended.

PoBoy321
03-11-2005, 01:13 AM
I think it's hilarious.

Then again, I'm 100% Irish Catholic.

Some Jews might take offense and I wouldn't blame them (although I might throw pennies at them and laugh).

Dynasty
03-11-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you will offend those who are easily offended, or who look to be offended.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a lot of people.

Felix_Nietsche
03-11-2005, 01:18 AM
There will always be someone who doesn't think it will be funny...

IggyWH
03-11-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have 5 close friends who are Jewish, and they all said it was totally cool. But, they're all pretty moderate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Their support means nothing. They know you so they know it's not meant to be hurtful so to them, it's cool.

It's those random people that don't know you that you got to worry about.

I did something similar to this. My freshman year at Pitt, everyone would tell me I was a black man trapped in a white mans body. I lived a hiphop style... that was just me. It wasn't fake, I wouldn't act black, I wasn't a wigger.

A good bit of my friends were black and because they said I was a black man trapped in a white mans body. So for Halloween, I decided to go as a black man. I had the clothes so that was easy and I bought a fro wig and some face paint. I covered my face and hands and with the wig on, I looked like a crackhead (because the wigg was so frizzy), but I still looked good.

My boys all thought it was the funniest thing they had ever seen. I hadn't told any of them I was doing it so when they first saw me they didn't recognize me. I think everyone I knew then went out and bought a camera just so they would have a picture of me like that.

Since it went so well with my boys, I thought nothing of it. We went out to a party though and I caught a little crap there. The white people didn't know how to react... they thought it was funny but didn't want to laugh. The black dudes there that I didn't know all thought it was funny. I caught some crap from a couple black chicks though. They were mad at me for impersonating a black man because they said white people used to do that to mock black people.

Not like any of them were alive back then but I was respectful and explained to them the scenario and reasoning behind it. Everything was cool then once I bought them some jello shots...

Jman28
03-11-2005, 01:37 AM
Some people certainly will. But the majority of those who find it offensive, I wouldn't mind offending.

chabibi
03-11-2005, 01:45 AM
Sew a beak on to look even more jewish

I’m sure I’ve seen chubaka with a kippa before. Maybe it was in the Simpson’s or something I really cant remember.

YourFoxyGrandma
03-11-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Some people certainly will. But the majority of those who find it offensive, I wouldn't mind offending.

[/ QUOTE ]

nothumb
03-11-2005, 02:24 AM
There was this girl in school with me from maybe 4th grade to maybe 10th, I dunno. She wore a lot of makeup and had nice rich parents and was Jewish. She also had very hairy arms. She was actually pretty cute but everyone called her Jewbacca and it made her cry.

Anyway, if you're wearing the helmet, and someone gets offended, just say, "Oi, I'm Jewish." How will they know?

NT

CallMeIshmael
03-11-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She also had very hairy arms. She was actually pretty cute but everyone called her Jewbacca and it made her cry.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!! Wow.

Thanks all for the replies. No one seemed offended, so that's good. Also, I do agree that the people who would be offended are the ones I wouldn't care about offending. So, I'm gonna go pick up the costume.

jagoff
03-11-2005, 02:34 PM
As a man who once saw Richard Lewis do stand up on HBO once, I find this offensive

partygirluk
03-11-2005, 02:35 PM
I am Jewish and have no problems with it, but I guarantee that you will find tons of Jews who label you an antisemite.

Gamblor
03-11-2005, 02:38 PM
I want to throw on a Yamkika, get some curls, and make a sash that says 'Jewbacca' on it.

That is awesome.

jakethebake
03-11-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am Jewish and have no problems with it, but I guarantee that you will find tons of Jews who label you an antisemite.

[/ QUOTE ]

at least he's not an anti-dentite.

Gamblor
03-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Some Jews might take offense and I wouldn't blame them (although I might throw pennies at them and laugh).

When in jest, I accept it as funny and laugh when my non-Jewish friends do this. Once, I began to collect them and pulled out a ziploc bag to put them in.

It's all a matter of context.

jakethebake
03-11-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When in jest, I accept it as funny and laugh when my non-Jewish friends do this. Once, I began to collect them and pulled out a ziploc bag to put them in.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome!

Gamblor
03-11-2005, 02:49 PM
What made it great was that they threw a total of 3 pennies.

adamstewart
03-11-2005, 03:03 PM
I am by no means easily offended, nor am I Jewish.

I'm just wondering why everyone, including the original poster, thinks this is so funny?

Is it because the syllable "chew-" rhymes with "Jew-"? Other than that, what is the relationship between Chewbacca and the Jewish?

Further, how does wearing a Yamika make it any more funny? Is there something about wearing Yamikas that is humerous?

Again, I, myself, am not offended by this costume. Actually, I'm kind of indifferent to it. After thinking about it, though, I'm just wondering if someone could explain the humor?

Adam

Greg J
03-11-2005, 03:04 PM
It's funny. But someone will find it offensive. I don't have a problem with it like I would someting totally messed up like blackface or something. I think my Grandfather, who is Jewish, would laugh his ass off at this. However, I think it's one of those things you have to be Jewish to totally get away with... if that makes sense.

jakethebake
03-11-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it because the syllable "chew-" rhymes with "Jew-"? Other than that, what is the relationship between Chewbacca and the Jewish?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. That's why it's funny. There is no relationship. that's why it's funny.

adamstewart
03-11-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Accordingly, if I dressed up as an "athlete", but wore a bathtub around my waist with a sign reading "bathlete", that would equally funny?

Or how about a "hair stylist" dressed up like a "bear"??

I don't think you've quite thought this through.....

Adam

jakethebake
03-11-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Accordingly, if I dressed up as an "athlete", but wore a bathtub around my waist with a sign reading "bathlete", that would equally funny? Or how about a "hair stylist" dressed up like a "bear"?? I don't think you've quite thought this through..... Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I use that? I think I'll be a bear-stylist this Halloween. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
http://www.oregonbears.org/PhotoGallery/Pictures/Beartown04-Doug_Rick/images/Oregon%20Bear%20%26%20Cub%202004.jpg

adamstewart
03-11-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Accordingly, if I dressed up as an "athlete", but wore a bathtub around my waist with a sign reading "bathlete", that would equally funny? Or how about a "hair stylist" dressed up like a "bear"?? I don't think you've quite thought this through..... Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I use that? I think I'll be a bear-stylist this Halloween. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
http://www.oregonbears.org/PhotoGallery/Pictures/Beartown04-Doug_Rick/images/Oregon%20Bear%20%26%20Cub%202004.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

See, again. I can't say I find this terribly funny.

Firstly, your response/pic makes no utilization of the notion of the "hair stylist."

Secondly, if the original poster had of posted:

"Hey guys, how funny would it be if I dressed up like a hair stylist, but also wore a bear's mask and a sign saying "bear" .... how funny would that be?"

... I doubt such a post would be met with such support and enthusiasm. See what I'm getting at?

Adam

partygirluk
03-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Poobacka, loobacka, pubebacka and lubebacka would all be funny. Some things are just funny.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-11-2005, 03:46 PM
I think it's more humorous that you made the title "Offensive to people who are Jewish" instead of "Offensive to jews".

Lazymeatball
03-11-2005, 03:47 PM
I'm sorry Adam, this humor thing isn't for you. And "Bear Stylist was the best response that jake has had in a while. You might want to brush up on posts from a couple days ago regarding bears.

edit: hahaha bear stylist

jakethebake
03-11-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
See, again. I can't say I find this terribly funny.
Firstly, your response/pic makes no utilization of the notion of the "hair stylist."

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously the costume would be a hairy, gay hairstylist. Geez.

[ QUOTE ]
See what I'm getting at? Adam

[/ QUOTE ]
No. Clearly you have no sense of humor.

gamblore99
03-11-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm jewish, and i think its pretty funny. If i was drinking and saw you in that costume, i would probably buy you a beer.

I wouldn't really worry about people who would get offended by something like this. If anyone does, you can say you asked a bunch of jewish people and they gave you the go ahead.

jakethebake
03-11-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's more humorous that you made the title "Offensive to people who are Jewish" instead of "Offensive to jews".

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was the only one that noticed this. That was seriously hilarious!!!

[censored]
03-11-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Accordingly, if I dressed up as an "athlete", but wore a bathtub around my waist with a sign reading "bathlete", that would equally funny?

[/ QUOTE ]

In all seriousness, that would be pretty funny.

Greg J
03-11-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was the only one that noticed this. That was seriously hilarious!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
My guilty white liberal conscience can take this no more! The title of this post should read "Offensive to people who happen to be Jewish?"

OP is obviously an anti-Semite.

daryn
03-11-2005, 04:09 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

hahhahhaha i just laughed out loud thinking of the "bathlete"

jakethebake
03-11-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly Adam is one of the funnier people here and doesn't even realize it because he has no sense of humor. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

willie
03-11-2005, 04:18 PM
i vote for hillarious

it's more pc than if you dress up like an oven and call yourself the the holocaust heater.

jakethebake
03-11-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i vote for hillarious. it's more pc than if you dress up like an oven and call yourself the the holocaust heater.

[/ QUOTE ]

I say dress up like Hitler and say you're the prince of England. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

tbach24
03-11-2005, 04:26 PM
I'm Jewish and I wouldn't find that offensive. It's not particularly clever either. A kid who's mildly retarted at my school did something similar.

jakethebake
03-11-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm Jewish and I wouldn't find that offensive. It's not particularly clever either. A kid who's mildly retarted at my school did something similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

A retart doing it is even funnier.

hoyaboy1
03-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Yea, I go with this. It isn't offensive per se, but not really funny either - most of the laughs you'll get will be from people saying "haha, jewish hats are funny, haha! and that hair, duh huh"

tbach24
03-11-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed

jakethebake
03-11-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed

[/ QUOTE ]

But then a retart doing anything is funnier.

adamstewart
03-11-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly Adam is one of the funnier people here and doesn't even realize it because he has no sense of humor. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, to be honest... after I typed that "bathlete" and "bear stylist" response, I did kind of laugh on the inside, as it is funny on a certain level.

I was just trying to play devil's advocate, but clearly failed. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Adam

willie
03-11-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i vote for hillarious. it's more pc than if you dress up like an oven and call yourself the the holocaust heater.

[/ QUOTE ]

I say dress up like Hitler and say you're the prince of England. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

other notable name for the outfit

the Jewish EZ Bake.

meow_meow
03-11-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

You will be saddened to hear that this actually made me laugh out loud. I'm at work, and people are staring at me now.
I'm guessing you don't appreciate Monty Python?

TomCollins
03-11-2005, 05:22 PM
If Gamblor approves, I say go for it.

lil_o
03-11-2005, 05:24 PM
I am jewish and would hardly find that offensive.

CallMeIshmael
03-11-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Yes, I did because I didn't want to use the word 'Jew'. Which, with certain connotations, could be offensive.

CallMeIshmael
03-11-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am by no means easily offended, nor am I Jewish.

I'm just wondering why everyone, including the original poster, thinks this is so funny?

Further, how does wearing a Yamika make it any more funny? Is there something about wearing Yamikas that is humerous?

Again, I, myself, am not offended by this costume. Actually, I'm kind of indifferent to it. After thinking about it, though, I'm just wondering if someone could explain the humor?

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Adam,

I think we just have different ideas of what is humorous.

To me (and a big part of this is doing something that I find funny), there are certain things that are always just funny to make references to. Off the top of my head, I'll say 5 examples are:

1. The 'Where's the Beef?' lady
2. Mr. T.
3. Abraham Lincoln (I think you have to be a 'Mr. Show' fan to understand this one)
4. Star Wars
5. The segway. (early arrested development should make this more than clear).

I just love it when Family Guy spews out gems like:

Peter: Oh my god, if it is I swear I'll give you all my Star Wars guys! Wait, except for Boba Fett. No matter how sure I am, I never risk the Fett man!

Also, Religious humour, when done in good taste (which this may or may not be) is also very funny to me. Jim Gaffigan is a great example from a stand up comedian. Also, This Week in God, on the daily show, is usually one of the weeks funnier segments. Note: I consider Steven Colbert the funniest person on TV today. Perhaps we differ greatly there as well. (Ricky Gervais' 'The Office' is better, but that's from accross the pond, and not popular here)

I do find both the 'bathlete' and 'bear sylist' ideas hilarious btw. I might even go with one for a future halloween.

I don't really know how to explain it, but I'm a big fan of pop culture references. This to me is what made 'The Simpsons' (seasons 1-7ish) so great, before it tanked. And Pulp Fiction my favourite film of all time.

Sorry to ramble...

PS: I'm going on the assumption that Judaism reached Kashykk. Perhaps I'm wrong /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tbach24
03-11-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Peter: Oh my god, if it is I swear I'll give you all my Star Wars guys! Wait, except for Boba Fett. No matter how sure I am, I never risk the Fett man!

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome quote. Watched this episode last night, but forget what this was in reference to and what the episode was.

My favorite Peter quote is:
Lois: Peter are you drunk?
Peter: Nah, I'm just wicked tired from staying up all night drinking.

<font color="white"> butchered? </font>

CallMeIshmael
03-11-2005, 06:54 PM
My all time favourite is this gem... which I think kinda fits in with why I think the original idea is funny:

Brian: Say something.

Stewie: Like what?

Brian: Anything. It feels like someone should say something.

Stewie: Yay and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Isaac." and Abraham said "I cant hear you, you'll have to speak in to the microphone." And God said "oh I'm sorry is this better? Check check, Jerry, Jerry, pull the high end out I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Gamblor
03-11-2005, 07:16 PM
I'm actually offended that the OP thinks I'd be offended, but not so offended as to think the original offending offense would be offensive to those offended by it.

mason55
03-11-2005, 07:37 PM
I wish I'd thought to ask around before my halloween costume a couple years ago.

I put a coat hanger around my neck, fake blood all over myself, and tied a baby rattle to the coat hanger. Obviously I was dressed as an abortion. This offended many people. I was too drunk to remember or care, which made things much much worse. I still run into people at parties who remember it and won't speak to me. Not that I care, everyone that knows me thought it was funny, but I never imagined anyone getting offended over a halloween costume.

PoBoy321
03-11-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I put a coat hanger around my neck, fake blood all over myself, and tied a baby rattle to the coat hanger. Obviously I was dressed as an abortion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best idea ever.

FishBurger
03-11-2005, 09:01 PM
I try to be.

thirddan
03-11-2005, 10:20 PM
i thought this was gonna be about a hitler costume or something...hitler = offensive, chewbacca = not offensive...
and i was raised jewish...

mason55
03-12-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I put a coat hanger around my neck, fake blood all over myself, and tied a baby rattle to the coat hanger. Obviously I was dressed as an abortion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best idea ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

People who had actually had one didn't seem to think so. I definitely made at least one person cry that night. Which, in my book, makes it that much better /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Luv2DriveTT
03-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Cute idea assuming you are Jewish. If not, then I'd say it is mildly offensive.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

jakethebake
03-12-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i thought this was gonna be about a hitler costume or something...hitler = offensive, chewbacca = not offensive... and i was raised jewish...

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't understand this. A lot of people are dressed as something scary (ie. a monster). /images/graemlins/confused.gif