PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Beat This Home Game?? Could You??

i wanna be me
03-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Riddle me this:

I have a couple of friends who partake in a weekly home game; $1/$2NL - regular buy-ins are between $25 and $40 (game standard). There are usually 8 or 9 players (all of them terrible players - I've watched). I was thinking about joining in this live-ATM, but have one conundrum.....before the flop there is ONLY 1 RAISE ALLOWED?!? And, almost every hand, the first person in raises it to $3 (so more gung-ho players cannot "raise the stakes" to more than the $3 pre-flop). After the flop, play proceeds as normal. Almost EVERYONE sees the flop (7/8 or 8/9), and obviously holdings like 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif2/images/graemlins/club.gif and 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif4/images/graemlins/spade.gif are continuously prevalent (K/images/graemlins/spade.gif3/images/graemlins/spade.gif is seen as a monster). On the turn there is almost always an all-in showdown with 2 or 3 players, some with absurd hands (low pair no kicker, runner-runner gutshot straight draw, etc.).

I understand that: a. the buy-in amount and the blinds are proportionately out-of-whack; b. the one-raise before the flop is ridiculous; and c. the first raise should actually be to $4. I know that they can play the game however they like - but is there any strategy that would be effective in beating this game for a good hourly rate? Obviously high pairs (and unsuited broadway cards) go relatively down in value, and suited connectors go up, and position is unimportant before the flop, but if you were forced to play this game, what would your strategy be? Thanks for your insight!

wanna

Punker
03-10-2005, 10:29 PM
See flops with hands that make more than one pair, value bet extensively after hitting. Doesn't sound like a very tough game.

i wanna be me
03-10-2005, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
See flops with hands that make more than one pair

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm missing something - what do you mean by this? Any two cards? (surely that can't be right...)

gorgeous
03-10-2005, 11:02 PM
You will not be able to beat this game consistently.

blingice
03-10-2005, 11:09 PM
You can easily beat this game. DON'T BLUFF. Play only pairs, AK, AQ, and maybe AJ.

emonrad87
03-10-2005, 11:27 PM
The advice that has been given so far is pretty bad. You are getting great implied odds to see a lot of flops (10-1 or better) since you know that there will be lots of multi-way all ins. See a lot of flops with hands that play well against large fields - any pair, suited connectors, big suited cards (i.e. AJs) and AK. When you hit, just push. Or don't, if you know someone else will do it for you. If you don't hit, get out unless you have a strong draw with correct odds. DO NOT BLUFF. And get ready for one hell of a rollercoaster ride.

A_C_Slater
03-10-2005, 11:38 PM
You need to tell your friend's to get out of the kiddie pool.

i wanna be me
03-11-2005, 12:05 AM
thanks for the advice so far - I think it's interesting to look at a different game and see how the strategies would change. does the large blind structure relative to the buy-ins mean that i should be playing even more hands (TOP) like one-gappers and higher unsuited connectors relative to a small blind/large buy-in structure?

p.s. i hate playing NL ring to begin with - if it was me it'd be weekly tournaments (and, yes, these players need to graduate to the deep end).

Punker
03-11-2005, 12:25 AM
Hands that make more than one pair: Suited aces, suited connectors, pocket pairs. Hands like that (if you get involved postflop) will generally see you with flush draws or sets. Prepare to lose a lot of $3's seeking the occassional $60.

DMBFan23
03-11-2005, 11:09 AM
also raise AA-QQ BIG when you act first, just to make a statement that thse guys are a bunch of pusses.

varoadstter
03-11-2005, 01:03 PM
The pot is giving you great odds to call, so get in there with the drawing hands that are justified. When you hit it, if you have the rock solid nuts let someone else bring in the betting and then mix up going over the top and smooth calling. Without the nuts but with a hand you want to protect, make your bets large enough to punish the chasers.

i wanna be me
03-11-2005, 01:55 PM
haha actually there was a guy that was there the time I watched that did exactly that - except he raised to like $15 whenever he had the opportunity to do it (with any two). let's just say that there's safety in numbers, and he was quickly kicked off of the table.

about bet sizes though, I'm assuming that any time i catch something good but not great (set, top 2 pair, trips w/ good kicker, etc.) I'm pushing on the flop (~$27 with ~$25 already in the pot), and draws obviously depend on pot odds (not much for implied odds). does that sound about right?

EStreet20
03-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Maybe explain to your friends that the one raise pre flop rule makes this game, by definition, not a no limit hold em game and see if you can get through to them to play by standard NL rules. Just a thought. With the existing structure if you feel the need to play I'd probably follow SSHE rules for starting hands if the pot is always multiway once it gets raised. Then push on your strongest hands on the flop.
Good luck,
Matt

Paul2432
03-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Don't the stacks in this game grow fairly rapidly? It sounds like someone busts on nearly every hand. After an hour or so, I would think everyone would have $100+, especially if some of the players rebuy to cover.

Paul

i wanna be me
03-11-2005, 05:51 PM
I tried getting it through their heads that the one-raise before the flop changed the whole dynamic of the game - to no avail. The individuals within the game aren't necessarily my friends; I just have a couple that frequent the game.

I also don't really "feel the need" to frequent the game - generally speaking it seemed like a great time (plus, of course, perhaps a way to gain a few extra bucks...).

p.s. The guys, for whatever reason, "buy back in" to the person who busted them (i.e. give them 30 bucks and get chips for that - with the money coming off the table).

wyoak
03-11-2005, 06:38 PM
if they're worried about maniacal preflop play tell em to play pot limit instead.
[ QUOTE ]
p.s. The guys, for whatever reason, "buy back in" to the person who busted them (i.e. give them 30 bucks and get chips for that - with the money coming off the table).

[/ QUOTE ]
that just makes no sense at all.

i wanna be me
03-11-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
that just makes no sense at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it doesn't....that's my point! given these ludacris rules, is there conceviably a way that you could (skilfully) actually make a continual profit from this game? I still find it interesting, because it's not no-limit poker as we know it, but a variation....just another form of poker. I'm trying to figure out a strategy that could work, and your guys'/gals' help is very enlightening and useful.

Also, I'm not arguing in favour of the game structure (a "normal" one would undoubtedly provide me with sufficient earnings) but am looking to see what some of the more successful players think about playing a completely different structure.