PDA

View Full Version : How do I find the leaks in my game?

CaptainNurple
03-10-2005, 07:45 PM
So I realize this question is going to be rather broad, but hopefully you guys will be able to offer me a bit of useful advice.

So I've logged about 3,000 hands on the PP $.5/$1 tables, and I feel like I'm playing pretty well, but I just don't seem to be playing profitably overall.

According to PTO I've got a VPIP of 20%, and a PF Raise of 2.3%, but only a 28% "Won $ WSF", a 39% "Went to SD", and a 61% "Won $ at SD". These stats include the week or so I was learning the game, so they might be slightly skewed downward, but it still looks statistically like there's something seriously wrong with my game, because I'm running at -$1.33 BB/100, even though I feel like I'm closely following starting hand selection, building big pots early, and trying to be sure to fold non-nut (draw) hands and focusing as much as possible on playing for the scoop.

I guess my question is how I can use whatever tools are available to figure out the problem with my game. I was browsing through hands on PTO and it looks like a lot of my net losses come from very strong hands that just weren't the nuts (either from getting out-drawn, or just from being straight up beaten by the nuts).

I can go into more detail if necessary, but I'm hoping people might have some advice for what I can do to pull my play up into the solidly winning realm. My bankroll has been hovering for 2 or 3 weeks now (I seem to play better somehow when it drops down and thus regain my losses...), and I'd like to see it start moving upward.

arcticfire
03-10-2005, 08:55 PM
It is possible that you don't really have any major leaks. Your stats while a small sampling overall seem right in line with 1-2bb/100 or so play.

I think you might want to look at your went to showdown stat thow. Your won $ at SD is also a few point low (just comparing them against my last 4k or so I have logged in PT). It may be that your chasing 1 or 2 stray hands just a tad to far. When it comes to O8 you don't have have a big variance to shed BB's on speculative hands. Making a single BB mistake per hour can cost you profitability. This can be in the form of missing a bet , or in making 1 to many.

I would go back and examine your starting hands. See which ones your hemroging $ on. Perhaps your giving AA to much credit , or missplaying A3xx , 23xx , or the like. For instance holding A37K do you call a 48J rainbow flop? Perhaps your giving A5xx suited starting hands a bit to much credit without supiror XX.

Replay some of your A2xx hands that you didn't get quartered on , did you extract the most you could from it ?

To find the leaks which in your case sound small , your gonna have to look pretty close at where you losing bets and where you missing them.

Beavis68
03-10-2005, 08:58 PM
that level of party should be beatable for more than 1-2/100.

But I too am having problems right now there.

gergery
03-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Few thoughts:

Read some of the other hands others have posted here, and think thru how you would play it. Then read the answers that others posted and note where your thinking was different and why. Also, post some of your own hands that were particularly tricky.

Your numbers don’t look too off, with the exception of 28% Won $ WSF in relation to the other numbers. Your VPIP indicates you’re playing good starting hands, your Went to Showdown indicates you’re not chasing too much, and your Won $ indicates you are winning a fair amount of the time at showdown. But you’re not winning often enough when you see the flop.

Therefore, you could not be winning enough pre-showdown, or not raising enough to try and eliminate opponents. What are your aggression #s for flop, turn, river?

You could be chasing too much in the hands you lose, but not raising enough in the hands you win.

You could easily be playing just fine but getting unlucky. 3k hands is still not very many.

--Greg

beset7
03-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Good suggestions from everyone and nice inferences from your stats but I just wanted to emphasize that 3K hands isn't even a fart in the wind. Just keep grinding up to 10K+ and then post your stats again.

chaos
03-11-2005, 09:21 AM
I am not sure why you have decided to build big pots early.

Early on many of your hands will be drawing hands that you would want to play cheaply. So you might be paying too much for your draws. Another problem with building a big pot is it entices your opponents to stick around and draw out on you.

I usually prefer to wait to the turn when I've made my hand to start the ramming and jamming.

arcticfire
03-11-2005, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure why you have decided to build big pots early.

Early on many of your hands will be drawing hands that you would want to play cheaply. So you might be paying too much for your draws. Another problem with building a big pot is it entices your opponents to stick around and draw out on you.

I usually prefer to wait to the turn when I've made my hand to start the ramming and jamming.

[/ QUOTE ]

which is exactly why he should build pots early.