PDA

View Full Version : Quote of the Day

Mason Malmuth
09-26-2002, 02:17 AM
Last night I played a little $40-$80 stud at The Mirage and the following hand came up. On the river, the first player had aces-full, and the second player had four nines. After a whole bunch of raises and reraises on the river the fist player said:

You have four nines. I raise.

She was promptly raised again and of course paid it off.

Easy E
09-26-2002, 09:03 AM
wow, people like this exist at THAT level? Maybe I have hopes of moving up one day after all...

PokerBabe(aka)
09-26-2002, 10:52 AM
That is a good one, Mason. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Greg (FossilMan)
09-26-2002, 11:23 AM
Was the board at least AA99x?

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

eMarkM
09-26-2002, 11:56 AM
It was stud.

Greg (FossilMan)
09-26-2002, 01:25 PM

Gabe
09-26-2002, 03:24 PM
Many times in holdem, I've heard a player say something like, "I check my two pair." They really do have two pair, and have every intension of calling a bet. It seems they are trying to stop a bluff or a value bet by an overpair. I see them pay off somebody with a straight, and see someone behind them check pocket aces. The kind of people I'm taking about are not making some kind of play where they say this, as in, sometimes they have it and sometimes they don't. It's as if they are giving a way a bet on the river only to avoid something, but I don't know what it is. Is it stress? I would think calling after they said this would be more stressful. Are they trying to avoid looking foolish? They look more foolish.

Herb N.
09-26-2002, 04:16 PM
I believe they JUST dont want to put any more money into the pot.They also dont want to face another desision[to call another bet]But they always do!This is another good topic for the psychology forum. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Vehn
09-26-2002, 08:21 PM

ChrisConstantine
09-29-2002, 01:04 AM
I made aces full in a 10/20 stud game years ago with 5 players in and well over $600 in the pot. The young guy to my right who had a friend behind him was saying he had one out as 7th street was dealt and yelled when he looked at his card. He showed it to his friend and said something like "can you believe it, yahoo" and his friend joined in the exclamations as I folded to his bet. There were two callers and then this guy kept yelling at me that I didn't call. I said that I had donated enough money and that his "friend" had given the quads away. He won a big pot and was fuming and hurt that I didn't pay another $20.