PDA

View Full Version : STTs vs. ring games

SNOWBALL138
03-10-2005, 05:13 PM
There are a lot of skills that are necessary for STT's that are not useful in ring games.

My question is: What skills do people think are necessary for ring games that aren't necessarily as important in STT play?

I'm specifically interested in the new 100x blind structure on party. It seems that this deeper stacked structure can require larger preflop raises with big pocket pairs, so as to vastly reduce the implied odds for someone hoping to flop a set. Either that, or just solid preflop play can help I suppose. Personally, I am against raising different amounts based solely on what I am holding.

In STTs this isn't as much of an issue, because of the shallower stack sizes.

I guess part of my question is:
Isn't preflop play emphasized in STT's whereas postflop play in emphasized in ring games?

I've been playing STTs for so long and whenever I would switch over to the PP ring games, the play was very similar because of the shallower stack sizes. It seemed that much that was critical in ring games happened preflop. I'm having trouble getting used to the new 100x BB games.

Ok, sorry for the incoherence of my post, but I hope the introduction of this subject will interest some people enough to respond with something besides flame posts /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

raptor517
03-10-2005, 09:01 PM
ive been playing deep stack ring games since i started playing poker. i probably feel just as if no more comfortable there, though i feel fairly confident my sng game is of fairly high calliber. in a game like 2-4 NL, which ive been 6 tabling the last week and a half, you get to play a lot more hands than you would in a sng, which i like.

i love being agressive and outplaying people. in a sng, its more methodical. in a NL cash game you really get to put some moves on your opponents, and dont always need a hand to do it. to those of you that havent messed around in the cash games on party, give them a try, even if its a .25-.50 game with a 50 dollar buyin. it wont be that swingy and those of you that are successful at sngs should be able to adapt. just dont lose your stack with tptk. ever. thats how i make money, from people that cant fold that. holla

SNOWBALL138
03-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the commentary raptor. I'm glad to hear you are doing well at the 2-4 tables.
I was getting killed in the new structure b/c of two things.

1. Getting my bluffs called by ace high and or middle pair hands,
or

2. Feeling married to my Overpairs and TPTK hands. I imagine you may have some of my money by now...

Just curious:
Have you played the $50 NL 6 max games lately?

I think I might play some fuller games, and see how that works. I'm not used to the short handed play with this stucture. 6 max with the 50x BB structure was what I was used to.

I had to slow down A LOT making any continuation bets there, because of the looseness, and frequent multi-way action. For people that play the $50 NL tables, I would wanna ask: does proper flop strategy at these tables emphasize value betting, and folding to big raises w/o top 2 pair or better?

K. I'm gonna post this on the NL cash game forum.