PDA

View Full Version : Should the Colts trade James?

WC64
03-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Everyone is talking about it here in Indy and I am just curious what other people think about the Colts possibly trading the Edge.

So should they trade him or not?

Dynasty
03-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Doesn't the answer to your question 100% depend on what they could get?

IronDragon1
03-10-2005, 04:55 PM
If you could get help for your sorry ass secondary I would.

jakethebake
03-10-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. But he is getting on in years, and they do need help on defense, and he does want to move to Florida, and.... Lotta good reasons to do it if they can get a halfway decent deal.

[censored]
03-10-2005, 05:05 PM
They probably need to. I don't see how the keep Manning, Harrison and James together while feilding a championship caliber team. Running back is the easiest to replace. Idealy they trade him and are able to draft a cheaper but still talented replacement. It's a role of the dice though.

junkmail3
03-10-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They probably need to. I don't see how the keep Manning, Harrison and James together while feilding a championship caliber team. Running back is the easiest to replace. Idealy they trade him and are able to draft a cheaper but still talented replacement. It's a role of the dice though.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but I have to say I was shocked when I saw they resinged Harrison when they did.

I mean, you have four receivers who post similar numbers, and Harrison starts to drift away from the lead role.

Now, you have two great/very good receivers, along with one good one, and you get rid of your excellent running back?

It didn't make much sense to me. I would have gotten rid of Harrison. (I may have missed info about free agency or something).

I personally would have just let Manning go though. That's where the money is tied up ... and hey, Warner's looking for a job.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-10-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I personally would have just let Manning go though ... and hey, Warner's looking for a job.

[/ QUOTE ]
WOW

jakethebake
03-10-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but I have to say I was shocked when I saw they resinged Harrison when they did.

I mean, you have four receivers who post similar numbers, and Harrison starts to drift away from the lead role.

Now, you have two great/very good receivers, along with one good one, and you get rid of your excellent running back?

It didn't make much sense to me. I would have gotten rid of Harrison. (I may have missed info about free agency or something).

I personally would have just let Manning go though. That's where the money is tied up ... and hey, Warner's looking for a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived in St. Louis for 7 years, through the glory and Warner is no P. Manning.

Dynasty
03-10-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. But he is getting on in years, and they do need help on defense, and he does want to move to Florida, and.... Lotta good reasons to do it if they can get a halfway decent deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

James will be 27 at the start of the 2005 season. By comparison, last year's leading rusher, Curtis Martin, started the 2004 season at 31 years old. Priest Holmes, the best running back in 2003, was 30 years old that year.

James has plenty of good years ahead of him.

jakethebake
03-10-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
James will be 27 at the start of the 2005 season. By comparison, last year's leading rusher, Curtis Martin, started the 2004 season at 31 years old. Priest Holmes, the best running back in 2003, was 30 years old that year. James has plenty of good years ahead of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

James may have plenty of good years head of him. But probably running out of really good years. Wait a couple of years and they'll get a lot less for him. Martin is a freak (and I mean it in a good way). He is a rarity, not the rule. Plus, James wants to move. When a player wants to go, it's amazing how much less productive he can become.

wonderwes
03-10-2005, 07:13 PM
If EJ starts to play on a team with a grass field I guarantee he will get a lot less injuries. If the Dolphins picked him up, they would actually be a respectable team.

Does anyone think Jeff Garcia is washed up. He still has a good arm. At least he is not Trent Dilfer. 50% of the teams dont even have a good QB.

deacsoft
03-10-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

deacsoft
03-10-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

and hey, Warner's looking for a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

He already signed a 1 year deal with the Cardnials.

BadBoyBenny
03-10-2005, 07:33 PM
If they can get an upgrade to a starting defensive position and a decent draft choice. There are enough quality RB's in this draft, and their offense would still be good enough with Rhodes starting.

The only caveat is that whoever his replacement is better be able to sell the play action every play.

holeplug
03-10-2005, 07:41 PM
I would have let Harrison go and kept James. They already have enough good receivers and Harrison is already 32, so his best years are behind him. Theres also a ton a good RB in the draft this year so they probably would only get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him anyway in a trade.

ucfryan
03-10-2005, 08:02 PM
I think they should, James is an extremely talented back, but with the depth at the RB position in this years draft and the talent that they have on their offensive line he shouldn't be too hard to replace. In addition, they're not going to win a championship until that defense is able to stop someone.

bugstud
03-10-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think they should, James is an extremely talented back, but with the depth at the RB position in this years draft and the talent that they have on their offensive line he shouldn't be too hard to replace. In addition, they're not going to win a championship until that defense is able to stop someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this pretty much said it all. Most plausible rumor I've seen is to Miami for Surtain and a pick

Clarkmeister
03-10-2005, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In addition, they're not going to win a championship until that defense is able to stop someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah. That or until Manning stops yacking all over himself. 4 crucial INTs 2 years ago, 3 total points this year. Yeah, sure it's their defense's fault. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Toro
03-10-2005, 09:25 PM
This is what the Colts need to do if they want a shot at the Super Bowl. They need to package James with Manning and trade them both to the Patriots for Brady and Dillon.

But of course it will take a moment of insanity by Belicheck to pull it off so it aint gonna happen. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

__Q__
03-10-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is what the Colts need to do if they want a shot at the Super Bowl. They need to package James with Manning and trade them both to the Patriots for Brady and Dillon.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Manning/James duo is better than Brady/Dillon, everything esle being equal. The reason why the pats are better than the colts is defense and coaching. They need to add to the defense not subtract from the offense. If anyone is expendable its a member of the WR corps, not the best RB in the game.

If your trying to make a chain stronger, replaces the weakest links not the strongest ones.

Clarkmeister
03-10-2005, 09:53 PM
"The reason why the pats are better than the colts is defense and coaching"

So you are saying that the Colts will never beat the Patriots until their defense is good enough to shut the Patriots out? Because thats what it would've taken to make Peyton's 3 points hold up.

__Q__
03-10-2005, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you are saying that the Colts will never beat the Patriots until their defense is good enough to shut the Patriots out? Because thats what it would've taken to make Peyton's 3 points hold up.

[/ QUOTE ]

No thats not what I'm saying at all. And the colts scored 24 points on them in the regular season but still lost by 3, maybe the a stronger defense WOULD have won that one for them. Hell, by your one-game-results logic, the pats have some work to do to catch up to the dolphins.

But really, Its pretty obvious what the strengths and weakness of the colts are.

The Armchair
03-10-2005, 11:06 PM
In 2001, Dominic Rhodes started 10 games in James' absence.

He had 4 100 yard rushing games, including a 177 yard day.
He scored nine touchdowns.
He had 1107 total yards and a 4.7 y/rush average.

The fact is that most "average" running backs will do well on a good offensive team like the Colts, especially one with a good line. Check out Derrick Blaylock (KC), Reuben Droughns (Den), and Chester Taylor (Bal) last year for three examples. Studs? Hardly. But they put up good numbers.

The Colts could use some playmakers on the D side of the ball, and advance past the second round.

ucfryan
03-11-2005, 02:23 AM
I don't think it's Manning. The Colts offensive gameplan in the AFCCG absolutely sucked. You aren't going to beat the Patriots through the air when it's snowing in their hometown. They briefly tried to establish the run early and then pretty much abandoned it for the rest of the game. You aren't going to make less mistakes than the Patriots airing it out and not controlling the clock.

Tom Brady isn't asked to go out and win games, he's asked to go out and not make mistakes. Dillon, the coaching, and the defense won it this year, Peyton Manning didn't have that luxury.

WC64
03-11-2005, 09:58 AM
Just got this from espn.com

Mar. 11 - The Indianapolis Star lists four teams as possible suitors for James, whom the Colts are willing to trade after coming to the realization they can't sign him to the kind of long-term contract he is seeking. Agent Drew Rosenhaus told the paper the Colts won't necessarily demand a high price for James, potentially making acquiring the frachised running back easier on some teams.
According to the paper, the Cardinals meet all the criteria to be a legitimate suitor, but the team might choose to draft a running back with the No. 8 overall pick next month. Miami makes sense, as well, but coach Nick Saban has indicated the team isn't willing to give up much. Would a package of Patrick Surtain and a draft pick get it done?

Tampa Bay also needs a running back but still is experiencing salary-cap difficulty and might not be able to fit James in. The Star suggests a trade of Ronde Barber and a draft pick for James. The 49ers have both cap space and multiple draft picks to deal, plus the paper suggests they could include RB Kevan Barlow in a trade.

ucfryan
03-11-2005, 11:15 AM
As a Niner fan I HIGHLY doubt that we'd go after James, we have Barlow and James would probably be too expensive. I could definately see him going to Miami though.

The Armchair
03-12-2005, 12:03 PM
You actually have a lot of cap room. And Barlow is in the doghouse.