PDA

View Full Version : 4-5 of clubs... how many bets to put in on flop... and turn??

golferbrent
03-10-2005, 03:58 PM
15/30 B&M game...

This is my typical game with the usual suspects. We have 3 Asian players with two of them being LAGs and the villian in question being the most LAG.

Villian is under the gun and has almost raised every hand he has opened the action with. Including the last 2 hands. In addition, he has shown down some real crap hands... like Q-Js UTG+1 for an open raise.

Villian open raises under the gun. UTG+1 calls and I 3 bet with 4-5 of clubs. Folded to the open raiser who caps the action... from past experience... he does not need a big hand to cap preflop. 3 players to the flop...

flop is 7-4-2 with one club... Villian leads and we lose the player in between... I raise to find out how strong my opponent is... he proceeds to 3 bet me and now I am aware that I need to hit my hand... In order to check the turn for free I 4 bet... and my opponent 5 bets...

How many of you will put in a 6th bet or more at this point??

The turn is a 5 and the villian leads at me again... and I raise again, which he just calls... and the river is a K and he checks and calls and MHIG.

Knowing that the player in question will put in a lot of bets on the flop with anything he doesnt need A-A or a set to put in many bets... how many bets will you guys put in on the flop??

I am quite sure that I got quite lucky on this hand... but it also helped my action for the rest of the night as well. All thoughts on the play in general and whether you would make that play considering the read of the player and also... how often should a player make a play like that during the course of a game... when you are playing with players that you generally play with half of the 40 hours you play a week with? Basically, how much do you guys, who play with a fairly consistent lineup, change gears and make plays like this?

I would appreciate all comments. Thanks and looking forward to the advice.

MoDOH
03-10-2005, 04:29 PM
preflop was atrocious, but I guess you know that already...
I donīt care how LAG UTG is threebetting that hand with a coldcaller in between is just plain and simple awful. And doing it for advertisement? Come on...

Against a true lag you need to raise the flop and then call him down.

ProfLupin
03-10-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Villian open raises under the gun. UTG+1 calls and I 3 bet with 4-5 of clubs.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

...and the villian in question being the most LAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you mean "and the hero in question being the most LAG"?

GreywolfNYC
03-10-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am quite sure that I got quite lucky on this hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

JihadOnTheRiver
03-10-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This is my typical game with the usual suspects.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good metagame move. I would have never considered going that many bets against ANYbody, LAG TAG or otherwise. I don't see the problem gettin nutty once or twice a week. No sense giving your regular monkeys a book on you. I'm quite sure that this was a major head scratcher for everybody at that table, unless of course you do this often. In which case, you're a donkey.

-Jihad

jogumon
03-11-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In order to check the turn for free I 4 bet

[/ QUOTE ]

are you serious?

34TheTruth34
03-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Thank you for listing the number of Asian players at the table, as this is an important piece of information to have when analyzing a poker hand.

AceHigh
03-11-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Villian is under the gun and has almost raised every hand he has opened the action with. Including the last 2 hands. In addition, he has shown down some real crap hands... like Q-Js UTG+1 for an open raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is LAG play. It's fairly typical for aggressive games, especially tight/aggressive games.

[ QUOTE ]
Villian open raises under the gun. UTG+1 calls and I 3 bet with 4-5 of clubs. Folded to the open raiser who caps the action... from past experience... he does not need a big hand to cap preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. Fold preflop.

I don't know how loose the Villian is, but are you sure you aren't underestimating him? He might be a pretty decent player.

ZenMusician
03-11-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you for listing the number of Asian players at the table, as this is an important piece of information to have when analyzing a poker hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering what your EV would be if there was an Eskimo with
a harpoon, an Indian with a full headdress, a Mexican drinking
tequila and a Jewish man eating a bagel?

Archie Bunker Jr....

-ZEN

URMeowed
03-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Isolating a known LAG with 5 high is suicide.

Raising a LAG on the flop or 4 betting it for the free card is suicide.

You need help unless you all were having a contest on who could be the biggest LAG at the table. I think you won.

Meow.

Fianchetto
03-11-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Villian open raises under the gun. UTG+1 calls and I 3 bet with 4-5 of clubs

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
flop is 7-4-2 with one club... In order to check the turn for free I 4 bet...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, wait a minute.... I'm confused....who's the LAG?

pokerjo22
03-11-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Eskimo with a harpoon

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean Inuit with a harpoon.

golferbrent
03-14-2005, 05:00 PM
Jihad--
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I don't normally pull this move. I might pull something like this once every 2 weeks or so. I don't think I described the nature of the game I play in very well. And therefore did not get very many high quality responses to my question.

The nature of the game I play in is that the same players are in the game almost all of the time. When I play 40 hours in a week... there are almost always at least 5-6 players in the game that I play a total of 20 hours a week with. Therefore, playing such a consistent amount of time with the same pool of players I think it is of utmost importance to vary your play.

As to the LAG in question... I play with him quite often... and he can play well... but is not a winning player b/c he plays too many hands.

If there is anybody else who plays in a game that is soo static... I was wanting their opinion on how often that they mix it up? And what metagame considerations that they consider on a daily basis?

antifish225
03-14-2005, 07:04 PM
are u serious....this is the worst thinking/play I have heard for a long time - u got very lucky - 4 betting for a free card?, I mean really man - only if there was at least two 1/4 Native 1/4 white 1/4 Hispanic 1/4 martians at the table would this be a solid play (once every 20 years....)