PDA

View Full Version : My bluff gets called....good play?

blklight
03-10-2005, 03:55 PM
- Final table, 8 players.
- Blinds are 10/20.

- Bluffer (BL) has T900 in chips
- Risk taker (RT) has T1100 in chips
- Mid pos player (MP) has T1000 in chips

MP limps (T20)
RT is SB and calls (T20)
BL is BB and checks (T20)

Pot is T60, 3 way action
Flop: Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

MP checks
RT checks
BL bets (T50)
MP folds
RT calls (T50)

Pot is T160, 2 way action
Corner: Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif

RT checks
BL bets (T125)
RT (after thinking for 30-45 sec) calls (T125)

Pot is T410, 2 way action
River Q/images/graemlins/club.gif

RT checks
BL moves all-in (T705)
RT (after thinking for well over a minute) calls (T705)

RT shows K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif
BL mucks (pure bluff)

Some info now. Obviously I am the RT in this event. Both times he was thinking (for long periods) I sat motionless staring at the same spot on the table (as always). Each time it was my turn to act I moved in the same standard fashion I always do when moving chips into the pot. My hands weren't shaking, no hollywood or launching chips. Just calmly pushing chips out to bet each time.

When the hand was over RT said he "had a read" that I didn't have it. What I am at a loss on is why he took so long on the river if he had such a good "read". At that point if I had the flush all along, it was no good now. The only hands he is beaten by are TT, JJ, Qx, KK or AA on the river. If he thought I had the Qx then why call the two bets prior? Did I make a bold bluff that most good players would have folded to? Was it a silly bluff? Obviously on the river I am selling quad queens...a tough sell. On the flop maybe he is just looking me up, doesn't think I would bet out a flopped flush. BUT, the corner? This is where RT loses me..don't see a good player calling here with 2nd pair on that board.

Insty
03-10-2005, 04:27 PM
You didn't seem to consider that he might have had the last Q here.
You also need to think about what hands he's going to to lay down here.

You only be wanting to put in a small bet on the river, he's not going to call it if he was only on a flush draw, and you're not going to lose your whole stack if you get called.

swarm
03-10-2005, 04:32 PM
NO, bad play...

Don't bluff all-in on a 3 Q board. No one believes anyone ever has quads, that's why you push with a 3Q board. It's obvious villan has a 9, and with the 3rd Q kicking he no longer worries if he has a weak kicker, which he didn't in this case anyway. Only thing he fears is an over pair.

Push all in when you have quads, never bluff that you have quads, no one buys it.

blklight
03-10-2005, 04:33 PM
I said in the post that RT checked the river. That is not true. He bet T160 on the river and I raised all-in. Sorry for the error.

blklight
03-10-2005, 04:34 PM
I agree 100% about bluffing quads, if you read the post I already stated as much. My question basically revolves around the corner. You think calling me on the corner was a good play on his part?