PDA

View Full Version : I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome

partygirluk
03-10-2005, 02:37 PM
It is fukcing annoying more than anything else. Anyone had it and got some advice? How long did it last for you?

FishBurger
03-10-2005, 02:53 PM
Are you constipated or loose? If you are constipated, I would recommend eating flaxseeds. Flaxseeds have both fiber and omega-3 fat which should help loosen you up.

I used to be clogged up quite a bit, but after I switched over to eating grassfed beef (better ratio of omega-3 fat to omega-6 fat) and started eating flaxseeds I've been nothing but regular. I buy flaxseeds at my local organic food store for about $2/pound. I'm in the states/colonies, but I would imagine that flaxseeds would be available in the UK, also.

Be aware that most nuts, store-sold meat (fattened up on a high-carb diet), and most non-grassfed dairy products will have high amounts of omega-6 fat which offsets the loosening benefits of omega-3.

If you don't have access to grassfed beef (or lamb or buffalo or elk), then I would recommend eating wild fish. Farm-raised fish will have likely been fattened up on some type of high-carb fish food, so the amount of omega-6 in the fish will likely be higher.

If you don't change anything else, at least get the flaxseeds. They are cheap and may be enough by themselves to do the trick.

2planka
03-10-2005, 02:55 PM
http://my.webmd.com/hw/irritable_bowel_syndrome/hw117853.asp

Looks like you're stuck with it unless you watch your diet.

jakethebake
03-10-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is fukcing annoying more than anything else. Anyone had it and got some advice? How long did it last for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

This has all the makings of a great thread. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

partygirluk
03-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Hi. Really I am genuinely grateful for the time you took to right this. But FWIW I am definitely on the loose end of IBS.

WDC
03-10-2005, 03:21 PM
I have Cron's which is similar and for me it mostly diet. I am on a very low fiber diet hardley any fruits of veggies. Lots of red meat and taters. I also take three different kinds of meds to control.

gamblore99
03-10-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have Cron's which is similar and for me it mostly diet. I am on a very low fiber diet hardley any fruits of veggies. Lots of red meat and taters. I also take three different kinds of meds to control.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have Crohn's too. It can really suck sometime.

jcx
03-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Pick up the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle, by Elaine Gottschall. Diet plan in it can be tough to stick to (You have to make your own yogurt, basically give up sugar - forever - and make certain other adjustments but it has helped many people (Myself included - I have Ulcerative Colitis).

In the meantime keep a journal of the food you eat and how that affected you each day. Figure out what foods to stay away from. I absolutely will not consume fluid milk, ice cream, etc.

Also, have you been officially diagnosed? If you ever see blood in the toilet best get it checked right away. If all you have is IBS, consider yourself lucky. It can get a lot worse than that.

[censored]
03-10-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you constipated or loose? If you are constipated,...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, im done with this thread.

Lazymeatball
03-10-2005, 06:31 PM
Wow, this thread is gross. All you people should be shipped to a leper colony or somethng. I'm puking now.

JaBlue
03-10-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Crohn's is much more serious than IBS.

partygirluk
03-10-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I thought. I am actually glad to get diagnosed with IBS. Means I have nothing more serious. IBS is an inconvenience, but nothing more, and for that I should be grateful.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-10-2005, 06:38 PM
How does one contract IBS?

partygirluk
03-10-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How does one contract IBS?

[/ QUOTE ]

No one knows, but there is a strong correllation with stress and depression, which would explain it for me.

illunious
03-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Don't even know what it is, but I saw this a few weeks ago in the Teavana catalog (their tea is awsome btw, though I'm not a fan of herbal teas).

link (http://store.teavana.com/52peppermint.html)

If you order it and want to get a couple more, I highly recommend Scarlet Cloud (white) and Orange Spice (black).

Jeff W
03-10-2005, 09:07 PM
If you suffer from muscle wasting, you should take steroids. Any doctor who doesn't recommend steroids to counteract wasting is a puppet and you should drop them. Many AIDS, Chron's and Cancer patients are dying because of stubborn, ignorant doctors.

Doctors are not healers, they are surgeons. Never take their word for anything, because they are often too busy and ignorant to do their best for you. Make sure you obtain copies of your test results and fully understand every aspect of your own tests, treatment and condition.

Make sure that if they give you medications, that the medications are actually effective and don't have a .1% improving effect on your condition and 30.0% placebo effect. You may have to read academic papers on the drugs to find these results.

I don't know how serious your symptoms are, but please remember my advice. I have had to deal with doctors re: life-threatening illnesses and I cannot let anyone else make the same mistakes I did. I apologize if there are spelling/grammar/style mistakes in this post, because I don't have time to edit it right now.

JaBlue
03-10-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I thought. I am actually glad to get diagnosed with IBS. Means I have nothing more serious. IBS is an inconvenience, but nothing more, and for that I should be grateful.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the right attitude. By the way, IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion. If you don't have anything else, you have IBS. Basically, doctors know a lot less than they want you to think.

ibankonu
03-10-2005, 09:28 PM
I have ISB too. My doctors and I think it is stress related, but I seem to get the worst attacks when I am eating alot of greasy foods. So I tend to stay away from red meat and fried foods if I am feeling at all bad. But the drugs help sometimes.

Uethym
03-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Another IBS guy here. 20 grams of dietary fiber a day keeps the doctor away, and a single serving of Kellogg's Raisin Bran in the morning gets you more than a third of the way there. Eating the right cereal in the morning and a reasonable amount of vegetables throughout the day has reduced my attacks to once every few months.

Your doctor should also be able to prescribe a muscle relaxer (mine is called "hyoscyamine") for when the cramps do come. Strong stuff, though.

astroglide
03-11-2005, 12:00 AM
aren't there somewhat straight lines drawn between lots of red meat and cancer/etc?

bholdr
03-11-2005, 01:27 AM
I also have been diagnosed with IBS, but it has been very minimal since the diagnosis.

To start, i has some lower abdominal pain that couldn't be explained, combined with a hard knot in the same area...

I really started stressing after the CT scan showed... 'something'. luckily, after a colonoscopy and more scans, my docs said 'oh it's just IBS...' and the symptoms went away with the stress ("I might have a tumor?! but, i haven't won the WSOP yet!).

Raisin bran , metamucial, very little greasy food, and vitamins seems to keep it undre control.

thanks for starting this thread, i've learned a lot form it.