PDA

View Full Version : Couple Of storys about shooting Pool (Long)

Jimbo
09-25-2002, 06:36 PM
The first one was posted in a reply to a thread in the Home Poker forum which got me to thinking about the proverbial "Goold Old days".

This reminds me of a story while shooting pool on a road trip to Augusta, Ga. in 1974. I had beat the local champions for all they would lose at Willie Mosconi's new downtown pool hall when it was suggested I go to this bar outside of town. I found the local bar champion all chalked up and ready to play some 8 ball for $100 a rack. I won the flip, broke, scratched and he began to rerack the balls and told me I owed him a Benjamin. He said house rules; Scratch on the break and you lose. Well I paid my hundred, unscrewed and got the hell out of Augusta. After all I could not afford too many more rules lessons.

The next story is from the same road trip:

I was steered by my local contact to a spot in Hepzibah, Ga. just a few miles outside of Augusta. The joints name was JOHNNY REB'S complete with the confederate flag flying outside the building. A sign upon entering read:

No Hippies
No N****** (derogatory term for African Americans)
No Kidding

Well at least then I was still clean cut as I had just recently departed the US Army. I walk in and get swarmed immediately by railbirds, backers and local pros all wanting action. I already had a line on who to play in what order so I began matching up with and beating all comers over an 8 hour period. When the well dried up and I was preparing to leave a few old timers playing dominoes asked me if I played bumper pool. Of course I told them I knew the rules ( ha ha see above story) but had not played for years, all true. What I did not tell them was that when I learned to play pool at the age of 10 all I was allowed to play before turning 12 was bumper pool. Suffice it to say that two straight years of bumper pool with a natural talent for the game will stay with you for a lifetime.

The dominoe players pooled $300 and brought out their champion. For those of you who are unfamiliar with bumper pool this may not be clear, for all others I hope you appreciate the flow of the game. It is agreed that we will play 2 out of three for the cash. We post the $600 ($300 each) and take our first simultaneous shot. His landed an inch or so from my hole but I pocketed mine so it was my next turn. I ran all 5 balls (inclusive of the first shot) and was ready to continue when the backers asked me if we could settle for $250. I said sure (Hell anything can happen) and left with the single biggest score of my life at that time.

If anyone finds these stories mildy amusing or interesting please post any comments or questions. I may post more in the future as I have many to tell from the "good old days", several with famous personalities to include Amarillo Slim, Steve Mizerak, Willie Mosconi, Jimmy Caras and others. Yes I do know several of the players who made cameo appearances in The Color Of Money as well as some of todays famous champions.

Jimbo

09-26-2002, 12:26 AM
I've never heard of an eight ball game where scratching on the break didn't lose.

I'd like to hear more stories. I've seen Slim play one pocket and he is damned good.

I heard a story about the color of money. One of the extras, who is a known hustler (I can't remember his name) during the filming asked, "Do any of you superstars want the eight?" He got no takers!

Tom D
09-26-2002, 11:36 AM
I used to hang out in Guys & Dolls poolroom (Silver Hill, MD) during the middle and late seventies. The best local player at the time was a Howdy Doody look-a-like named Charlie Justice, and he could play. Late one night a kid nobody had ever seen before came in wearing a pulled down sailor hat and looking like he was about fifteen years old but was probably twenty-five, and surprised Charlie by agreeing to play nine-ball for ten a game. Charlie was all grins, happy to have a customer.

The Kid, who had the sweetest stroke I’d ever seen, except for Crazy Louie’s, beat Charlie eleven games in a row, and Charlie packaged him the last game. The kid just unscrewed, walked to the counter and paid half the time ($1). Charlie, knowing no shame, got mad that The Kid wouldn’t pay all the time, and the two of them got into a little slapping and shoving. Two of the resident Neanderthals decided this whole thing concerned them, and jumped into the fray. The Kid retreated by climbing behind the counter with the houseman, pulled out another dollar, laid it on the counter, and left unmolested.

Charlie came over and sat next to me on the bench by table one, and about twenty minutes later, The Kid came back, tapped on the glass outside, and beckoned Charlie to come outside. Charlie waved him off, and maybe flipped him the bird.

In any event, The Kid came in, walked up to Charlie (and me), pulled out a nickel-plated revolver from under his shirt, pointed it at Charlie’s head, shaking like a leaf, and told him to “THROW A MOTHERF*****G DOLLAR ON THE MOTHERF*****g FLOOR.”

The room was full, and fifty people ran over to the opposite corner trying to squeeze into the bathrooms. I, of course, didn’t like my spot, but I didn’t want to move either, so I just sat there. Charlie took the longest time, it seemed, to dig a dollar out of his jeans, arching his pelvis so he could slide his hand into his jeans without standing up. I was beginning to worry that he didn’t have a dollar and contemplated throwing a dollar on the floor myself, but decided not to since I still didn’t want to move.

Charlie found a dollar, at last, and threw it on the floor, The Kid scooped it up, walked out the doors, hopped on the bicycle he had ridden over, and road away. The two Neanderthals gave chase, after a couple of minutes, and reported later that The Kid had driven away in a Winnebago. Meanwhile, the houseman came out from behind the counter and slapped Charlie around for awhile, and everyone else drifted back to their tables.

So, I was wondering. Did you ever own a Winnebago?

Tom D

09-26-2002, 04:02 PM
In the movie "The Color of Money" there is a pool player named Grady Seasons. I dont know why, but that name stuck with me (and so did the charactor). Anyone know if he was a real player or just an actor? If he is a real pool player, does anyone know what his story is? Thanks.--Big Al--

Jimbo
09-26-2002, 04:15 PM
His real name is Keith McCready. Yes he is a road player with the typical bad habits accompanied with that lifestyle.

Jimbo

Jimbo
09-26-2002, 04:23 PM
Yes Slim has always been an extremely talented one pocket player. His true talent lays in how well he matches up before the game begins and his chatter during the match. I have seen him play a match where his handicap was to be quiet during the games. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I have a story about a one pocket match I played around 1990 just prior to my "retirement" from pool. I will try to put it together later today or tomorrow.

Jimbo

HDPM
09-29-2002, 11:28 PM
Did McCready really sleep under the tables at Hard Times? I like the stories BTW.

09-30-2002, 03:04 AM
very interesting.My high run in 14.1 is only 63,so I will stay out of your way.

Jimbo
09-30-2002, 11:47 AM
Thanks HDPM,

I will keep posting them as long as people express some interest. I do not know if Keith sleeps under pool tables but I have a story about that involving another former road player in Denver which I will share later.

Jimbo

Jimbo
09-30-2002, 11:51 AM
Hi Phil K.,

My 14.1 high run record is quite close to yours. 63 balls is an extremely good run for any amateur. Actually my high run ever came in an exhibition match against Jimmy Carras in New Jersey about 1973. He was one great world champion. This will be posted as a short story later on.

Jimbo