PDA

View Full Version : Hello,Players! Toying with opponent's emotions....sadism

09-25-2002, 05:46 PM
Hello,Players!
It seems to me that semi-bluffing and other deceptive techniques are enjoyed by people with sadistic tendencies.
I,myself,enjoy watching my opponent "grown" and seeing his face "twist" when I make a "fancy move" like semi-bluffing or check-raising.
One player refuses to talk to me because I semi-bluffed him to try to get him to fold his one pair of K's.
Although the move did not work,and it's been over two months,he has NEVER said a word to me since.
He hates me. He said he used to respect me ,but no more. He never thought I would do this to him.
Do U believe that almost all poker players have sadistic tendencies? I mean do most players really enjoy toying with their opponents' emotions??
I believe I do.

Just wondering!
Sitting Bull

Noo Yawk
09-25-2002, 05:56 PM
If you look to play poker beyond social reasons, the heart of the game is based on getting your opponents to make mistakes. The one that makes the least mistakes will win in the long run. I don't believe this is sadistic, but just how the game is played.

09-25-2002, 06:20 PM
enjoy watching your opponent "squirm" and "grown" when U make some "moves' on them??
Or are U completely emotionally neutral about the situation??

Just wondering.
Sitting Bull

Noo Yawk
09-25-2002, 06:40 PM
I enjoy knowing that I've put someone on a tough decision that could lead to their making a mistake. But only from the sense of playing correctly. I'm neutral to the rest. The last time I wasn't was last week. See my thread on "Quieting a Jerk".

09-26-2002, 03:17 AM

Al Schoonmaker
09-26-2002, 05:07 AM
The critical issue is your motive. If you're doing it to make people miserable, it's not healthy.

If you're doing it to max your EV, it's just the way the game is played.

The man who took your semi-bluff so seriously should switch to old maid. Poker is a game of deception. If he can't handle it, he shouldn't play.

Al

bad beetz
09-26-2002, 08:24 PM
Some get a high from succesfully bluffing.

Even rarer and better, is the player who will make intelligent lay downs but still bluffs way too much. if you can pick them out, you can win allot of extra money checking your good hands into them

SittingBull
09-27-2002, 01:03 AM
motives: to max your EV AND to make your opponent miserable BECAUSE it gives U pleasure and NOT because U have a grudge against him??
Is this situation UNHEALTHY??

Just wondering,
SittingBull

Homer
09-27-2002, 12:05 PM
How can your semi-bluffing cause him to lose respect for you? It's obvious that he isn't a poker player...

SittingBull
09-28-2002, 03:14 AM
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif