PDA

View Full Version : AK in the BB

freewillig
03-10-2005, 12:14 PM
I have AKo, 1700 in chips and the blinds are T100. There are 5 limpers and I make it 500 to play. THERE ARE 4 CALLERS. Flop comes K87 2 spades. What do you do now and what would you have done preflop?

Thanks

freewillig
03-10-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have AKo, 1700 in chips and the blinds are T100. There are 5 limpers and I make it 500 to play. THERE ARE 4 CALLERS. Flop comes K87 2 spades. What do you do now and what would you have done preflop?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm first to act post flop

Sam T.
03-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Pre-flop, I'll go ahead an push. I do not want to have to deal with a missed flop out of position.

On the flop there is nearly t2k in the pot, and you've only got t1200 lef it front of you. Again, it's an easy push.

My two cents,

Sam

yaaaflow
03-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Go all-in and hope no one draws out on you. The pot is already huge, any bet less than your remaining 1200 is no good anyhow.

willie
03-10-2005, 12:52 PM
i play it the same as you sometimes

other times i'll just push preflop cause i dont' want to deal with a missed AK with a lot invested otu of position

tiger7210
03-10-2005, 12:57 PM
Push- too much money in the pot. You very well may have run into a set here but you flop TPTK with 2500 chips in the pot and only 1200 chips left behind. With all those limpers and 1700 in chips i think i push here PF and just try and pick up all the dead money in the pot or bet 1000 PF and push on any flop.

freewillig
03-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Interesting that so many would push pre-flop. I generally don't with AK when I still have 10X BB or better. I supposed being out of position should change that equation somewhat. When I made the play pre flop, I was hoping for a caller or 2, but was thrown for a loop to get 4. I ended up pushing and got 1 caller with KQ. Queen on the river (of course).

Percussion
03-10-2005, 03:44 PM
this may sound insane, but I wouldnt raise THAT much bro, might even think about limping if I dont go all in PF. But going all in PF is lame cuz people like to do gay crap like limp with AA or KK in early position!

In any event you need to keep in mind that AK is a DRAWING HAND!
You need to hit an A or a K to get any value from it...

People try to do shiety buisness with AK thats funny, like when I hit a set and they have the mindset that ace high HAS to be the best hand and keep pushing me. In my opinion, you should have raised either less, [possibly even not raised at all to keep your hand hidden and screw over some A8s when you both flop top pair] or go all in.

Then again im a nub so whatever

Simplistic
03-10-2005, 03:55 PM
i'm killing myself over your post. "gay crap like limping in early position with AA KK" haha.

at least you added a worthwhile note that AK is a drawing hand.

Sam T.
03-10-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
going all in PF is lame cuz people like to do gay crap like limp with AA or KK in early position!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen a gay player limp with AA or KK.

Where do these sterotypes come from?

My two cents,

Sam

MrLob
03-10-2005, 06:03 PM
I dont have any problem with your bet pre flop. Once the K hit you are committed to pushing, no question. The better question is what would you have done if no A or K came on the board because if you weren't prepared to push in that circumstance then you probably should have just called or gone all in preflop.

Roman
03-10-2005, 06:56 PM
I push pf.
I push flop.

AtticusFinch
03-10-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I push pf.
I push flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, yeah, what he said.

HoldingFolding
03-10-2005, 09:03 PM
You sound very confident that you could get a way from losing a big portion of your stack in this situation. I would say the most common way for players to bust out in the first hour of an MTT is a big pair (AA, KK or AK that hits the flop) going up against a set. If you have a way of avoiding losing a huge chunk of you're stack I'd like to hear it. I think this is especially true with AK, because a lot of the time you will be up against an Ace with a weaker kicker.

HoldingFolding
03-10-2005, 10:33 PM
Just check out today's *Official* Party Super Thursday thread and you'll see what I mean.

Benoit
03-11-2005, 03:19 AM
How big were the other stacks? Did you already observe limpers call 5xBB when they already called the BB? From what I know it's common online. So maybe 10xBB would be better, which is more then 50% your stack, so just go all-in. What do you expect? The raising blinds are designed to encourage action like this.

They all limped, so probably no AA or KK (not to mention possible card combinations make it unlikely), and any other pair you are about 45% to win heads-up, against lower cards you are like 65%, and of course we all know about if you dominate their hand. Plus you have an X% chance limpers will just fold and you scoop a nice $650 pot. You probably know this X% if you observed the limpers folding to a raise on a previous hand.

After your preflop 5xBB bet, any decent bet would have made you pot committed, so you going all-in on the flop would have been correct to protect your hand.

There are inflection points in a tournament, and you have to push when the odds are in your favor.

ZootMurph
03-11-2005, 03:30 AM
My play here depends solely on the players in the pot when it gets to me preflop. If they are willing to call a big raise with something like suited connectors or small pocket pairs, then I'll check and take a look at the flop. This way, the pot will stay small enough so I can shut out any draws that come up if I hit my King or Ace, and I have no problem check/folding the smaller pot if I don't flop something nice.

There's NO WAY I'll push preflop. Your chip stack is too deep to put yourself in a race situation... The only hands that MAY call (but shouldn't) that you dominate are AQ/KQ. Anything else you will need some luck with. I very much prefer to use my skill on a flop rather than depend on luck and/or a dumb call.

Finally, in your situation on the flop, you have 1200 in chips and a 2650 (1 500 bet, 4 callers, folded SB, folded limp) pot. I can't see any choice but to push here... flush draws are going to have to call here, and you'll just have to hope they don't hit their hand. If you'd limped, you'd be looking at a pot of only 600 with 1600 chips in your stack. A 700 bet would shut out a flush or straight draw, and still leave you chips if they call and hit their hand.

Morbo
03-11-2005, 03:51 AM
How often do you think he will be called by a pair? I believe the only pairs that would call the all in, would have raised instead of called.

curtains
03-11-2005, 04:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting that so many would push pre-flop. I generally don't with AK when I still have 10X BB or better. I supposed being out of position should change that equation somewhat. When I made the play pre flop, I was hoping for a caller or 2, but was thrown for a loop to get 4. I ended up pushing and got 1 caller with KQ. Queen on the river (of course).

[/ QUOTE ]

You may have 10 BB or better but this is a completely differnet situation. There is 650 in the pot, which represents a signifigant portion of your 1700 chips. It's not as though you are just stealing 150 worth of blinds.

I actually think that raising to 500 is too weak here, and prefer moving allin. You are more than happy to take the 650 now.