PDA

View Full Version : My god why did I check this river

Paluka
03-10-2005, 11:30 AM
I have been making horrific checks lately in spots where I should bet. It is making me sick.

100/200 online game. The table is almost on all tilt. I don't know what did this to the, but they are all crazy right now.
Some psycho raises in the cutoff (I think we are playing 6-7 handed at this point), the button cold calls, I bet from the sb with AKo. They both call. Flop AJ6 rainbow. I bet, cutoff raises, button cold calls, I 3 bet, both call. Turn 3, no flush draws. I bet, cutoff folds, button calls. River brings a J. I check. Atrocious?

Dick_Stone_777
03-10-2005, 11:41 AM
"If I bet this maniac is going to bet either way, whether he is tripped up or not, so I might as well check call and save a bet in case he does have it." Am I right?

If so, I would assume that you have been sucked out left in right in this crazy game you have described. I think the right play here is to bet.

elmo
03-10-2005, 12:09 PM
I think its pretty bad. When I am playing in a loose game like this where you are going to be playing alot of hands against a psycho, I think giving a free showdown here is awful. I am comfortable calling a raise by a psycho here, which will be a bad ace/bluff as often as anything. I think the lag is going to call you with any pair, but I think its important to make him make a decision about calling with his KQ high gutshot that will sometimes be good.

I am more of a pounder in these games though, and I think that the effect of not giving a free showdown in this situation is worth giving up some value on this hand. That being said, I think your EV is higher if you bet. Believe it or not, even us LAGs realize that you are capable of checking TPTK here. I would be very hesitant to bet my 99 or Ax against you in this situation, but would likely be paying off a bet.

Paluka
03-10-2005, 12:18 PM
The main reason I checked is because the original pre-flop raiser was the one that the whole table thought was crazy. When he raised the flop, I would think the button would 3 bet him with an ace to isolate. When he just called 2 cold it seemed more like he was just calling with a bit of something hoping that the cutoff was crazy and that I would give-up without an ace.

IndieMatty
03-10-2005, 01:51 PM
Whats you read on the button? If he's reasonable he wouldn't call that turn with just a Jack.

Rick Diesel
03-10-2005, 02:11 PM
I think that most of the time the jack is a good card for you. It counterfeits the A6 and A3 that I would guess are way more likely than just a J.

Paluka
03-10-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that most of the time the jack is a good card for you. It counterfeits the A6 and A3 that I would guess are way more likely than just a J.

[/ QUOTE ]

But those hands would raise me on the turn right?

obi---one
03-10-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are u smoking crack? don't you think hero would have been given more action against a two pair hand.

oops, didn't see this post was already answered by paluka, but still that was a ridiculas statement

34TheTruth34
03-11-2005, 12:54 AM
I think this river check is reasonable (maybe slightly bad) but certainly not horrific.

URMeowed
03-11-2005, 01:23 AM
I agree. There are no legitimate draws, gutshot straight draw notwithstanding. Heads up, easy bet. With the straggler, a river check is reasonable. Plus, you give them a chance to flail. That said, I probably would have fired the river but cats are naturally aggressive animals.

Meow.

wins_pot
03-11-2005, 01:41 AM
I'd bet it.
that said, I think I've lost a lot of money in the 100-200 by being taken off good hands, and I don' t think you can call a river raise.
also, there's always a chance he was being super-donkified and chasing with something like KT, in which case you might win an extra bet.