PDA

View Full Version : 4th, 4th, 4th, 5th, 4h, 4th, 2nd, 4th, 4th...

twang
03-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Take a close look at the topic. See a pattern?

I just started out playing some Sng at Party. Being new to tourneypoker, I find it really fun and a good way to take a break from my usual limit grind.

Before I started I searched this forum for advice. I read the "Beating Party 10+1"-threads and found the advice pretty helpful. Nevertheless I'm not happy with my results. I know it's not a big sample, but looking at the topic above it seems like I am doing something wrong.

Has anyone experienced the same thing when you were new to SnG? What did you do about it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

/twang

mackthefork
03-10-2005, 09:11 AM
I see a pattern of a lot of posts containing bad beats and small samples /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Mack

PS More aggro when 5 and 6 left required is most probably best cure.

jackaaron
03-10-2005, 09:26 AM
You might want to look at a different site. Party has a culture of people that could care less whether they lose their money. This is GOOD for you guys that play in the limit ring games. It's horrible for sit-n-go's, especially no limit. Why? Give you an example...I'm down to four people, and I'm by far the big stack and a guy that is about 3rd starts going all in whenever I'm in the big blind. I don't mind, I can wait him out because I have plenty of money, and eventually I'll get cards. But, he does it every single time. Now, you have to ask yourself, what is this person thinking? They are thinking, "It's only x amount of dollars, maybe I'll get lucky." What's different about this scenario from your ring games is that if you call, and you lose, you can lose half or all of your stack. When you lose your stack, you're gone. In a ring game, especially limit, things aren't going to happen like that.
I suggest you stay away from any type of Party sng's. Play at poker stars or something like that at 10.00. Your style of play will more than likely work better there.

1C5
03-10-2005, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You might want to look at a different site. Party has a culture of people that could care less whether they lose their money. This is GOOD for you guys that play in the limit ring games. It's horrible for sit-n-go's, especially no limit. Why? Give you an example...I'm down to four people, and I'm by far the big stack and a guy that is about 3rd starts going all in whenever I'm in the big blind. I don't mind, I can wait him out because I have plenty of money, and eventually I'll get cards. But, he does it every single time. Now, you have to ask yourself, what is this person thinking? They are thinking, "It's only x amount of dollars, maybe I'll get lucky." What's different about this scenario from your ring games is that if you call, and you lose, you can lose half or all of your stack. When you lose your stack, you're gone. In a ring game, especially limit, things aren't going to happen like that.
I suggest you stay away from any type of Party sng's. Play at poker stars or something like that at 10.00. Your style of play will more than likely work better there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, worst post ever.

a) you want to be playing where people don't care about their money

b)the "maniac" that is going all in everytime you are in the blind to steal is probably playing better poker than you for Party's structure.

twang
03-10-2005, 10:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You might want to look at a different site. Party has a culture of people that could care less whether they lose their money.

[/ QUOTE ]Nah, I like that culture so I think I'll stay at Party.

The SnGs sometimes feels like a cointoss though. I've been playing limit ring successfully for about a year and I guess that's why I'm usually still alive when there's 5 players left; I just play tight/aggressive and use common sense.

It's when it comes to the last levels I feel a bit lost. Maybe I've just been getting unlucky in those steal/push-situations.

/twang

miami_jesse
03-10-2005, 10:05 AM
agree w/ 1C5...my guess is that with all of those bubble finishes you aren't being aggressive enough and are letting the blinds slowly eat you away...don't play for 3rd place

theredpill5
03-10-2005, 10:11 AM
4th 5th 6th 4th 4th 4th 4th 4th 4th 9th 2nd 5th 7th 4th 4th 4th 4th

mackthefork
03-10-2005, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck, I would rather play against 9 weak tighties who only see a flop with AA or KK and cry like biatches when they get raised even with those, than 9 crazies who go all in every hand. Do you see why?

Mack

danvh
03-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Maybe you should try playing just limit SnGs. Ive been doing that allot recently and its been working well. Allot of people cripple them selves the first few orbits on the "its only 15 to call" mentality. Generally, I found playing ABC poker at these tables does well. Granted you get some horrible suck outs, but allot will stay in way to long because its limit and its not "real money".

rickr
03-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Some of the worst posts I've seen on here. Where are our S&G experts at. In the meantime. You are being too passive. You are seeing monsters. When it get's down to 4, folding equity and aggressiveness (selective) are the key. To the guy who was complaining about the all-in maniac everytime he was BB. That guy was playing you like a fiddle. He read you like a book. While you were the big stack, come back over top all-in. Most times he will lay down. If your waiting for AA to do this, he will win. Simple as that. The key is making the other guy make the choice for his tournament life, not the other way around.

Later,
Rick

pokerlaw
03-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Question that has yet to be asked: How are you finishing fourth? Is it b/c you are getting widdled away by the blinds? Or are you pushing and losing showdowns against bigger (or comparable) stacks than you with 4 remaining?

This is an important distinction I feel, and any suggestions to your play should depend on the answer to it...

raptor517
03-10-2005, 11:31 AM
ok first off, i have never seen such a clusterfxxx of bad posts. now that i have that out of the way, ill get to the meat.

lots of 4ths and 5ths CAN happen to the best players. but what i think is likely happening is you are playing WAY too tight when the blinds get big. you need to be very agressive and not be scared to push your stack around when the blinds hit the 50-100 and especially the 100-200 level.

if you are playing scared and not taking advantage of excellent stealing opportunities then you severely limit yourself in the party structure of sngs. i have had 5 4ths in a row before, but i have played a bajillion sngs. my advice to you is to not try to sneak into the money, but be very agressive and steal the blinds. this could vastly help your game. holla

asofel
03-10-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ok first off, i have never seen such a clusterfxxx of bad posts. now that i have that out of the way, ill get to the meat.

lots of 4ths and 5ths CAN happen to the best players. but what i think is likely happening is you are playing WAY too tight when the blinds get big. you need to be very agressive and not be scared to push your stack around when the blinds hit the 50-100 and especially the 100-200 level.

if you are playing scared and not taking advantage of excellent stealing opportunities then you severely limit yourself in the party structure of sngs. i have had 5 4ths in a row before, but i have played a bajillion sngs. my advice to you is to not try to sneak into the money, but be very agressive and steal the blinds. this could vastly help your game. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

mackthefork
03-10-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with my post, you just repeated what I said, with slightly different words. Adding aggression should increase a weak players ROI and hourly rate by at least 10% without any refinement.

Mack

raptor517
03-10-2005, 12:05 PM
you must have read this off of MJ's blind stealing page. holla

mackthefork
03-10-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you must have read this off of MJ's blind stealing page. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I had, I had to learn myself, I disregarded this advice many times before I tried it for myself, at first it cost me money, now it makes me money plus I enjoy playing more as a result. Blind stealing is good for the soul.

Mack

twang
03-10-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Question that has yet to be asked: How are you finishing fourth? Is it b/c you are getting widdled away by the blinds? Or are you pushing and losing showdowns against bigger (or comparable) stacks than you with 4 remaining?

This is an important distinction I feel, and any suggestions to your play should depend on the answer to it...

[/ QUOTE ]

A very common situation for me is to have 600-800 left when it's down to 5 players. I think my problem is playing too timid here. I usually get in situations where I make "desperate" attemts to push (because there's really not any other choice), rather than being comfortable attacking with just about any hand and a short stack. It's hard to describe the difference, but everyone that has been waiting too long and therefore been forced to go all-in with anything knows what I'm talking about.

/twang

pokerlaw
03-10-2005, 02:56 PM
Having 600-800 left w 5 players (blinds in my experience usually around 100/200 when 5 left) is too few chips. It sounds like aggression is something you need more of (which essentially sums up the other posts on this string).

Some advice: observe what size bets are stealing the blinds (though w 600 chips and 100/200 blinds, it sounds like pushing is your only move), make those bets when you have a good position - i.e. the huge stack isnt in the BB, as calls due to pot odds are more likely - and somewhat decent cards - don't need to wait for KK or even KJ, 78 or J9 does the trick fine. just bet and hope for folds. if not, then bet at the flop again (assuming you have chips of course) so long as it doesnt look that scary, and hope to up your stack. a bonus of being aggressive is that it is more likely that people will not try and steal your blinds, which is nice. good luck.