PDA

View Full Version : Is there any point in this pot where I can be less boring?

lorinda
03-10-2005, 05:07 AM
This seemed rather dull, could I have made it interesting (in a +EV way)?
Yes, it was a NL game before anyone asks if the converter is working.

Edit: No real reads, except I really don't trust the guy to my left to do anything predictable.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t1590)
Hero (t873)
MP1 (t999)
MP2 (t1270)
CO (t740)
Button (t680)
SB (t1103)
BB (t745)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t30, MP1 calls t30, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t60</font>, CO calls t60, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t30, MP1 calls t30.

Flop: (t285) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t30</font>, CO calls t30, Hero calls t30, MP1 calls t30.

Turn: (t405) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t75</font>, Hero calls t75, MP1 folds, MP2 folds.

River: (t555) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t50</font>, Hero calls t50.

Final Pot: t655

Lori

curtains
03-10-2005, 07:50 AM
I don't know if I'd play it exactly as you did. It all seems reasonable, if I'd prefer something else it's a pretty close call anyway.

I'd say the most questionable play is on the turn, but the pot is big, and that's a small bet.

Oh I just looked at the hand again, I don't like to limp preflop with the 15-30 blinds of course. I'm sure this discussion on limping JJ in early position has never occured in the one table forum? Maybe we should talk about it!

Scuba Chuck
03-10-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure this discussion on limping JJ in early position has never occured in the one table forum? Maybe we should talk about it!

[/ QUOTE ]

What's on your mind?

Phil Van Sexton
03-10-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure this discussion on limping JJ in early position has never occured in the one table forum? Maybe we should talk about it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm too lazy to search for all these discussions. Harrington's book has a few examples of JJ in EP. He strongly advocates raising.

gumpzilla
03-10-2005, 10:19 AM
My first inclination is to raise as well. However, I think that raising is probably a better play with deeper stacks here.

How are you playing JJ after the flop if you raise preflop?After raising PF, I'm going to want to follow through on the flop a large chunk of the time, particularly if there are no aces. This is probably overly risky from EP with Party sized stacks, though. With larger starting stacks I like making this play because it works pretty often, isn't super damaging if it fails, and starts to give you a sense for your opponents. If you're only going to stick with JJ after the flop for overpair or set value, though, I'm not sure raising is good here.

Mammux
03-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Checkraise the river.

-Magnus

asofel
03-10-2005, 11:26 AM
river quads? would be pretty interesting if you could pull it off...

raptor517
03-10-2005, 11:38 AM
i hate raising utg with anything worse than queens. position is KEY in NL post flop poker. if im raising the pot im going to be super agressive from that point on. i like to be able to act last in that type of situation. i would actually not mind check raising the flop to something like 120 or something, to see where you are at. a min raise can mean a lot of things. i would not be surprised to see the villian holding 1010, but KK also pops into my head for some reason. id like to know what villian had, holla

kspade
03-10-2005, 11:50 AM
what hand folds to a checkraise on the river that hero isn't already beating?

ReDeYES88
03-10-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Checkraise the river.

-Magnus

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

Mammux
03-10-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Checkraise the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because TT or A9 will call. I'm referring to a minreraise, of course. Do you think the OP is behind on the river more than 10% of the time here?

-Magnus

pooh74
03-10-2005, 12:16 PM
I dont know about this hand. It seems to me (this has been discussed before) that one must define their hand before they come in. IOW, ask yourself "what am i doing here". Do I want to play this strongly or weakly. Do I want to play them for set value, get in cheap...or raise and isolate a player and play them like the 4th best hand it is. Lorinda seemed to choose the former, but with many in the pot, seemed to call them for value with an overcard and a pair on board. With Party sized stacks I dont like this play. after this flop, out of position, im checking and folding...even to weak bets. If I raised PF and get, say, 1 caller, Ill bet 2/3 pot and hope to take it.

p

adanthar
03-10-2005, 12:29 PM
I promised myself never to talk about JJ PF againraisedammit so I'll stop there /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think you have a 9 or TT beat but it's pretty much optimal from here. Reopening the betting on the river means you have to fold to a 3 bet which is...eh, if it happens you're beat but I want to see his hand so I just call anyhow and probably miss out on 50 chips. Oh well.

curtains
03-10-2005, 04:02 PM
I was completely joking. I've only recently started regularly reading this forum...maybe a month ago. However I'm sure this topic has been discussed to death.
I really do feel that raising is simply the correct play here preflop.

mackthefork
03-10-2005, 04:23 PM
I would raise preflop.

What level buy in was this?

Also whats wrong with raising the river? the guy seems to have made it clear he can't beat JJ. He'll probably call a minraise or more even.

Mack