PDA

View Full Version : Tigers comments about the Ryder Cup

Clarkmeister
09-25-2002, 01:37 PM
This weekend when asked whether he'd rather win the Amex World Championship tournament he was playing in or win the Ryder cup, Tiger said he'd rather win the Amex event.

When asked why he said "I can think of a million reasons why", clearly saying that the $1mm first place check was more important to him.

He's catching a lot of flack for that. He's now saying he was joking and it was taken out of context. My take is: who cares. I think he's right. Its awful easy for people to tell someone else that they should care more about something like the Ryder Cup than winning money, but heck, a million bucks is a lot of money. Who the hell are we to tell him that he should care more about a free event than a mil?

davidross
09-25-2002, 02:21 PM
I don't know why people think they can dictate what a person should care about. With a Ryder Cup or Presidents cup every year, the day will come when Tiger misses one of them and just wait for the flak he gets then.

In Canada we get it all the time when a hockey player (Patrick Roy for example) decides he doesn't want to play on the Olympic team, or a basketball player decides he'd like to not spend 4 of his 10 weeks off playing at a world championship where we might finish 8th.

Having said all that, I bet if you ask Tiger on Sunday afternoon if he's heads up with Sergio Garcia in the deciding match which he cares more about, the answer will be different.

Let's hope for a close match and some interesting matches on Sunday.

HDPM
09-25-2002, 03:46 PM
My guess is that the reason Tiger said what he did is that he is sick of other people telling him he has to feel a certain way about the Ryder Cup. I think he also probably does not like the fact he can't set his own schedule. His other complaints were along those lines. I think a lot of the top players probably feel similarly. They are all successful independent contractors and now they have to appear, wear bad clothes, go to cocktail parties and talk to the insufferable, and not cash a check for it. The PGA of America makes a ton on the Ryder Cup on the backs of these guys. At least now there's a charitable donation, but Tiger can raise more money either for himself or his foundation with a one-day appearance somewhere on his own terms. The PGA uses the public sentiment surrounding the Ryder Cup to basically force people to play. Their reputations will be hurt if they back out and they will have to take a lot of flak. So I can understand a feeling of resentment. I also know that Tiger will be playing his ass of in the matches. He didn't get where he is by enjoying a public loss. His appearance at next year's President's Cup in South Africa or Australia or wherever it is is no lock though.

Clarkmeister
09-25-2002, 05:05 PM
Clearly these guys should be paid. And the winning side should be paid more than the losing side. You make good points.

lorinda
09-25-2002, 11:05 PM
As an aside, apparently we have enrolled armed police for this years' Ryder Cup because of the high feelings that are going to be shown there.
That's fine for the American players' wives, but who will control the crowd?

davidross
09-25-2002, 11:32 PM
Touche

adios
09-26-2002, 06:41 AM
Too bad he's catching flack for an honest statement that shouldn't bother anyone. How rude was the USA team during the last Ryder Cup? It seems like distancing yourself from that is actually good.

09-26-2002, 04:07 PM
Probably,because $1 million is a lot to a man in his financial position.

lorinda
09-29-2002, 01:01 PM
It was very kind of Tiger to not only wear the European colours today, but to also play like he was trying to give the Europeans the points /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
Three years of hatred finally settled,now we can go back to just dislike /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

skp
09-30-2002, 08:12 PM
I don't really blame Tiger for saying that the money tourneys are more important to him but I do think that he ought to compete in the Ryder Cup with the same fire as he does when playing for the loot. Besides, what's a million for a guy who is projected to earn a billion dollars (i.e. endorsements included) in his lifetime :-)

I wish he would follow John McEnroe's approach to Davis Cup.