PDA

View Full Version : SSLHE is this poker??

zaxx19
03-10-2005, 02:40 AM
Ok so Ive been playing poker for about 8 months now and doing so fairly sucessfully (I only rebought 2wice and built my roll into 1000+ range) Ive played primarily NLHE at first MTT and SNG now I play NLHE ring games 90% of the time. I sat down to mess on some limit and caught a trememndous rush of cards for like 1 hour and made like 25bb. \
\
Quite obviously I understand this isnt typical but some of the hands shown down had me wondering how hard this limit thing could be? The only negative is Im afraid the fun of poker will be sucked out by playing limit. It sounds like you guys basically use PT and SSNHL to go on autopilot and I cant believe there are the adrenaline rushes that NLHE provide.

That being said ...Ive now come to a point where I must learn to be at least a decent limit player so I grabbed myself WSSHL and plan to read it over the next few days. I dont have PT yet...and was wondering if its mandatory??

What other resources would you guys recommend?

Whats a decent Vpip for limit if played correctly?

When do you know its time to multitable>?

Can yu multitable right away?

Whats a decent win rate for a beginner who merely plays tight aggressive?

How often do you steal blinds?

Play pure position?

JoshuaD
03-10-2005, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont have PT yet...and was wondering if its mandatory??

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate playing without it. It definitely has made me way more than the 55$ I payed for it. If you're only gonna ever single-table, you can do without it, but you'd probably still be doing yourself a diservice.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pokertracker, Playerview.net, these forums, Theory of poker, Hold'em poker for advanced players.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

15-20.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you get bored playing 1 table. 2-tabling isn't very hard to do, it's the jump to 4-tables that gets you.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends. I'd spend a few days single tabling and really thinking, but 2-tabling is pretty much 1-tabling.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything positive. Don't worry about your winrate early on. If you can win at NLH and you read SSH, you'll be playing winning poker if you start at party .5/1, which I strongly suggest doing.

In the long run, anything over 2 is considered very respectable. You'll probably be doing better than that at the .5/1 and 1/2 before you move up.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the limits. Stealing blinds kinda means something different in limit than it does in no limit. I often try to steal the blinds with hands I figure have an equity edge vs the blinds.

[ QUOTE ]
Play pure position?

[/ QUOTE ]

Position is a huge part of it.

imported_leader
03-10-2005, 03:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I sat down to mess on some limit and caught a trememndous rush of cards for like 1 hour and made like 25bb. \

[/ QUOTE ]

Not unusual. You’ll see down trends like that too. It

[ QUOTE ]
Quite obviously I understand this isnt typical but some of the hands shown down had me wondering how hard this limit thing could be?

[/ QUOTE ]

It really depends what limit you playing. If your a good player you should be about to beat most Low Limit games.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

15%-20% This depends on what limit you're playing and whether the games are fairly loose. Mine is around 16-17%.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason you multitable is to make money. If you want to learn the game, I recommend playing one table and focusing on that. When you game is solid, then multitable.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And win? Probably not at anything above .25/.50

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For a beginner, if you're winning, you're doing well.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on who's in the blinds.

[ QUOTE ]
Play pure position?

[/ QUOTE ]

Low Limit games are mostly about turning over the best hand. There are times and players that you can bluff, but I wouldn't make a habit of trying to bluff people that will call you down with underpairs or A high or nothing. You can't put the same kind of pressure on people as can in NL.

noir
03-10-2005, 04:17 AM
Yes, indeed, this is poker.

Just look at the pros, top player/posters, etc. It's what they play.

Unlike other folks, I highly recommend developing your game at one table. The fact that you're going into this thinking that's it's "not that hard" reveals many potential leaks. As you'll read when you encounter HEFAP, this is an incredibly intricate game. The twoplustwo writers seek to teach you the ways of expert play. Starting out at one table will help you learn about the numerous skills that are necessary to win and play at a high level.

spentrent
03-10-2005, 07:18 AM
These are some great replies. I'm in the same boat as you, waiting for HFAP to arrive any day now...

crunchy1
03-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Every one up to this point has given solid advice on what it takes to be a solid limit player. I have 2 additional comments for you.

First - Poker Tracker:

I think that PT is mandatory for any hold'em game online (MTT, SNG's, LHE, NLHE). You can apply the use of its many features to all these situations. In your NLHE game wouldn't it be nice to know how much all of your opponents check raise from EP? Or what percentage of the time they defend they blinds to steal raises from the CO/Button? Download the free 1000 hand trial and if you really dig into it and find all that PT does you'll be buying it before you even reach those 1000 hands.

Second - this statement jumped out at me in your original post. It makes me question why you're playing poker....

[ QUOTE ]
I cant believe there are the adrenaline rushes that NLHE provide.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's true that there aren't the "adrenaline rushes" of no-limit all-in situations. However, I don't play for "adrenaline rushes" - I play for money.

This may just be an off-handed remark that you made and you might feel the same way I do. Regardless - we all must define why we're playing poker.

If it's for fun and excitement that's cool - but you might just consider sticking to no-limit where the fun/excitement are greater. I wouldn't bother investing the time and energy into learning limit hold'em if you're playing poker for fun and "adrenaline rushes".

If you're playing for money - like myself and the many others who post here regularly - then good luck on learning limit. Read some books and stick around this forum and you'll progress in skill quickly. I think you'll find it to be a profitable venture!!

Frequitude
03-10-2005, 11:52 AM
Welcome to the grind. I'll try to chime in on some things that haven't already been mentioned.

[ QUOTE ]
Ive now come to a point where I must learn to be at least a decent limit player so I grabbed myself WSSHL and plan to read it over the next few days.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet, but pick up a copy of Small Stakes Hold 'em by Miller, Sklansky and Malmuth. It seems to be (and rightfully so) the bible in this forum. Nothing has had a more positive effect on my winrate. Buy it, read it through a couple times, do the hand quizzes, reread the parts that aren't clear, and then read it again and again. Add more readings as you see fit. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
PT isn't MANDATORY, but it is definitely +EV. Stats can't be everything in a decision, but they definitely reveal alot about your opponents. Also check out Playerview and/or Gametime+. They are both PT plugins that display opponents' stats right on your table. I am only using GT+ for now, but it is my understanding that PV is better for finding good tables and GT+ is better for when you are actually sitting down...but I could definitely be wrong here, as I have never seen PV.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you already have decent preflop play down, I highly recommend starting with 2-tabling. It really cuts out the boredom induced tilt, at least it did for me. The decent hands will come around twice as fast, but a tight preflop game will usually ensure that both tables don't need full attention at once.

gvibes
03-10-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It sounds like you guys basically use PT and SSNHL to go on autopilot and I cant believe there are the adrenaline rushes that NLHE provide.

[/ QUOTE ]

People can make money at small stakes by going on "autopilot". However, I think those players miss out on a lot of profitable situations. For instance, I'm not that much afraid of a 15/7 player sitting at my table, as I think that the "typical" 15/7 player is going to be somewhat predictable. It's the 23/13's that scare me.

Also, if you spend a couple weeks browsing the micro forums, I think you can pretty much start out 2-tabling.