PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with minreraises

Roman
03-10-2005, 01:11 AM
General theory questions without specific situations usually make shitty threads, but this is a trend that is happenening more and more often and I wanted to know how you treat them.

For example, you open for 3x in CO, and SB min reraises you to 5x.

Assume 20 BB stacks. What do you do with:

a) 44
b) AT
c) AK
d) 87s

What about when you are out of position?

What do you think of these raises in general?

Any input appreciated.

fnord_too
03-10-2005, 01:28 AM
Without notes I would always call. I would really want to see a showdown to see what he mini raised with so I could put some notes on him. This is the sort of thing you need to watch when you are not involved in the hand, because you get so much information.

Back to the call, you are getting 9:2 on the call. If you know his raise means AA or KK, you are getting implied odds of 12:1 on the call, since he will most definitely put the rest of his stack in post flop if you let him.

With notes, I may push if I think he will fold to it.

Potowame
03-10-2005, 01:29 AM
Most of the time ,I have found these are big pairs QQ-AA, looking to get you to push. This is just my default read of the mini-reraise, the player would have to do something change that read.

I think I would be willing to see the flop with all of these except A10, but I would more than likly still call looking to hit a monster. You can usually plan on getting paid-off pretty well if you hit two pair, set or what have you, so the implied odds of calling are well worth it.

curtains
03-10-2005, 08:05 AM
I hate min reraises so much, and have been known to fold hands that should be easy calls due to the pot odds.

In this particular case I don't believe I'd fold any of the hands. In all the hands where you have an ace, an ace on the flop should be good for you. This is because the min raise usually doesn't mean AK, but could mean KK-QQ. If the flop comes with an ace, I'll feel pretty confident they don't have AA.

Also I will reraise allin with AK. There are a few too many idiots out there who just don't realize that min raising is incorrect poker here, and thus don't have to have a big hand.

Mammux
03-10-2005, 11:34 AM
Semi-apropos: I got myself into a really ugly situation that almost crippled me in a live mtt the other day. I had a well above average stack and tried to steal the blinds from MP with K9s. Suddenly I'm min-reraised by LP. Tight player. At this point I should fold, but thinking my hand is well disguised I call (trying to represent AQ).

Flop is ATxr.

I make a 3/4 pot bet (because I was representing AQ). He calls. Turn is a blank. I check, he bets 1/2 pot, I fold.

He later said he had AK. Then again, I said I had AQ so who knows.

-Magnus

sdplayerb
03-10-2005, 02:30 PM
i call them all.
Unless the stacks are very shallow, and not even then always, i think minraising/reraising is just awful.
you are just giving implied odds to people to break you.

I love when somebody minraises early (when stacks are at all deep). I'll call with just about anything to try to break them.

bmxreed36
03-10-2005, 02:51 PM
I am also a hater of mini-raises before the flop, especially when the blinds are low and stacks are deep. And the worst which is almost enough to put me on tilt is when there are 3-6 limpers early in a tourney and one of the blinds mini-raises. I don't know what that accomplishes.
Anyways, just wanted to say that I have used it before and with a reason although I don't think I do anymore.
Say you're in the big blind with 99,TT,JJ or something like that, one person raises and everyone folds. Just call or reraise? They're hard to play out of position but the mini-raise can give you information about their hand without costing you much if they reraise big and you fold (usually?). If they just call, I put them more on big cards or a lower pair.
That said, I still call with all of those hands and sometimes even with AA, KK because they may have a hand they might like enough to put alot of money once you "reluctantly" call their raise.

SossMan
03-10-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i call them all.
Unless the stacks are very shallow, and not even then always, i think minraising/reraising is just awful.
you are just giving implied odds to people to break you.

I love when somebody minraises early (when stacks are at all deep). I'll call with just about anything to try to break them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roman
03-10-2005, 06:42 PM
All of you call with AK too? Intresting. My default line is to call all and push with AK.

Noel Montgomery
03-10-2005, 07:11 PM
a)call
b)call
c)call
d)call

Why push with A/K? It's not a made hand yet. The reraise is most likely a pair of some sort, so you'd be behind. The goal is to get all your chips in the middle when you have the best hand.

Roman
03-10-2005, 07:27 PM
because AK does not play well out of position HU in a raised pot?

bleu329
03-10-2005, 07:56 PM
and they could fold their lower pairs

SoBeDude
03-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Those people telling you to just call with 44 are giving you very bad advice. 44 is a difficult hand to play well postflop, and you're setting yourself up for a steal on the flop or turn.

44 is an all-in or fold really, and usually should be all-in. AK is an all-in 100% of the time.

ATo is marginal for a push, but I'm still going to push it quite frequently. Or I call planning on a raise on a later street.

87s is the only clear call in my book. look at a flop then decide how you want to proceed.

-Scott

Roman
03-10-2005, 08:25 PM
totally disagree about the 44. You are most likely dommed when called, just play for set value. AT is usually a muck for me.

blingice
03-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Re re raise with AK, fold with 44, call with AT, call/fold with 87s.

Bling.