PDA

View Full Version : Axs big pot raise

Emmitt2222
03-10-2005, 12:42 AM
This hand reminded me of that one interesting hand quiz one in SSHE where it is recommended that you 3bet with a gutshot with Axs. Reads are that BB is kinda fishy and CO is a tight aggressive player who randomly limp reraises pf which he did in one of the previous hands. What I'm interested about is the flop raise trying to buy ace outs and a free card and possibly the turn call but I think that was good. Am I dumb and this is standard?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (16 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, BB calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (12 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 13 BB

Nick C
03-10-2005, 12:36 PM
I'd expect the TAG to raise up front with a big ace from the CO after three limpers, but you never know, and I guess something like A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif can't be ruled out. To me, it seems like a strange play from a TAG. Possibly he has a medium pocket pair or a JTs type hand? I don't know.

BB may already have TPTK or even AA, it's hard to say what the TAG has, and there is the flush draw out there also (and BB could have something like A /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif), so I don't think the conditions for raising are as ideal as they could be.

I think the raise is all right, though. It could buy you the button (as it in fact did), and it's possible it will buy you a free card on the turn (though it didn't in this case). I probably would have just called, but there are potential advantages to raising, including, as you point out, the possibility of buying two ace outs if, for instance, BB has a big pocket pair (but not aces or queens) and CO has a red suited ace. And if BB is betting a flush draw and CO has, say, 77 and will lay it down, you could even pick up a couple of outs for your 5.

As far as the turn goes, I think calling is fine.