PDA

View Full Version : Greatest news ever

Cubswin
03-09-2005, 11:43 PM
I am one happy guy....

Cubs to give up a night game, donate $150,000 in concert deal link (http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-wrig09.html)

The Cubs agreed Tuesday to play one less night game in 2006, stage no concerts that year and donate $150,000 to Lake View schools in exchange for the right to hold a pair of Labor Day weekend concerts at Wrigley Field starring singer-songwriter Jimmy Buffett.

"It's a concert more of old people like me than it is a lot of hard [rockers]. More of a geriatric crowd. There'll probably be less bikes and more walkers," said Ald. Richard Mell (33rd), who saw Jimmy Buffett at Alpine Valley.

The plan calls for Buffett, a die-hard Cub fan, to "break the curse" just as he did last year for the World Champion Boston Red Sox with two Wrigley concerts while the Cubs are out of town: one on Sunday, Sept. 4, ending no later than 10:30 p.m., the other on the afternoon of Monday, Sept. 5, with a 6 p.m. cutoff.

On Tuesday, the City Council's Finance Committee authorized a "one-time exception" to the ordinance governing the number of night games after the Cubs agreed to appease area residents who don't like the idea of turning 91-year-old Wrigley into a concert venue.

No shows in 2006

Those concessions include: forfeiting one of their 30 night games in 2006; donating $150,000 of the gate to area schools; limiting concert attendance to 39,500; making 3,000 tickets available for purchase by residents living within one mile of the ballpark and implementing the same neighborhood protections for the concerts already in place during night games. The Cubs also have agreed to stage no concerts in 2006.

The motivation for the concert series is money that would not fall under Major League Baseball's revenue-sharing umbrella.

For every dollar the Cubs earn on game days, 34 cents must be shared with other teams. For every dollar raked in at a concert, the Cubs get to keep 100 percent of the take.

[censored]
03-09-2005, 11:50 PM
The connection to you?

mcb
03-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Jimmy Buffett's the man.

Jurollo
03-09-2005, 11:52 PM
He clearly lives in Chicago and is a parrothead. 'Nuff said. He plays in Mass all the time, I don't know what is more fun, the tailgating or the show itself. Have fun cubs.
~Justin

[censored]
03-09-2005, 11:53 PM
Oh so it's just about the Buffet concert. I thought is had something to do with the charity.

Cubswin
03-10-2005, 12:03 AM
Its all about seeing my favorite musician play at my 'summer home'. Im a displaced Chicagoian so i will have to make the journy home for these shows. Life is just a tire swing....

Jurollo
03-10-2005, 12:03 AM
Haha, maybe... I just took the easy approach.
~Justin

Cubswin
03-10-2005, 12:05 AM
"Oh so it's just about the Buffet concert."

*shakes head*