PDA

View Full Version : New To O/8, Please analyze this hand

RollingRockMike
03-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Hero Dealt Ad2d5c7s in the BB. 6 limpers, and hero raises.
Flop is JdTh8c. Everyone checks.
Turn is 3d, giving me nut high and low draws. SB bets, hero calls, next player raises, 4 calls including hero.
River is 8d. SB checks, Hero checks, original better bets, raiser raises, hero folds.

Moneyline
03-09-2005, 11:38 PM
PreFlop: I think a raise is fine here. It does telegraph your hand, but if there are a few calling stations in the pot who won't/can't read your hand I think the pros of a raise outweight the cons.

Flop: Gross flop. I'd check as well and be happy to see it get checked around.

Turn: I would also call to induce others to call behind in case one of my draws hits.

River: I'm a little confused... is it 5 way action on the river? If so I'd probably call the double bet because the pot is enormous, if someone has a boat they played it strangely, and I'm guessing the table was filled with magoos.

RollingRockMike
03-10-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

River: I'm a little confused... is it 5 way action on the river? If so I'd probably call the double bet because the pot is enormous, if someone has a boat they played it strangely, and I'm guessing the table was filled with magoos.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, it was 5 way action on the turn, on the river it was just a bettor and a raiser, everyone else had folded. The pot was huge and I thought about it a long time before I folded. Since this was the beginning of my second orbit, I didn't have any reads. I found out later that the bettor was a...poor player to say the least, and the raiser was probably playing the player.

Anyways, I think I'm folding the best hand way too often on the river when the pot is huge and it's a bet and a raise to me, I just wanted some independent confirmation of this.

DasLeben
03-10-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Turn is 3d, giving me nut high and low draws. SB bets, hero calls, next player raises, 4 calls including hero.
River is 8d. SB checks, Hero checks, original better bets, raiser raises, hero folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop: I agree with Moneyline in that if you can be reasonably certain that you're going to get your raise called, I don't think a raise is that bad here. The only issue that I see is that A25x isn't super strong, even with the A2 being suited. I think if you'd have been in LP with a lot of loose-passive limpers, then this could be a raisable hand. Out of the blinds...ehh. I'm not too keen on that one.

Flop: Yeah, gross. Nice that you got a free look at the turn.

Turn: I don't think calling is a bad play at all, since it might entice everyone to stick around. I think this is especially true after everyone checked the flop.

River: Sucky card. I'm pretty confused about the action here, but as Moneyline said, that'd be a strange way for him to play that hand through if he'd hit a boat on the river. I can't really tell for certain, but there's 24-25 BBs in the pot on the river when you folded? You'd be calling 2-4 more on the river most likely, so consider this: Lose up to 4 BBs to possibly take down a pot with 30+. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll make the call with the nut flush, solely due to the fact that their plays were inconsistent with rivering the boat. You'd hate yourself if you folded to a guy with something along the lines of Kd7d.

RollingRockMike
03-10-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop: I agree with Moneyline in that if you can be reasonably certain that you're going to get your raise called, I don't think a raise is that bad here. The only issue that I see is that A25x isn't super strong, even with the A2 being suited. I think if you'd have been in LP with a lot of loose-passive limpers, then this could be a raisable hand. Out of the blinds...ehh. I'm not too keen on that one.

Flop: Yeah, gross. Nice that you got a free look at the turn.

Turn: I don't think calling is a bad play at all, since it might entice everyone to stick around. I think this is especially true after everyone checked the flop.

River: Sucky card. I'm pretty confused about the action here, but as Moneyline said, that'd be a strange way for him to play that hand through if he'd hit a boat on the river. I can't really tell for certain, but there's 24-25 BBs in the pot on the river when you folded? You'd be calling 2-4 more on the river most likely, so consider this: Lose up to 4 BBs to possibly take down a pot with 30+. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll make the call with the nut flush, solely due to the fact that their plays were inconsistent with rivering the boat. You'd hate yourself if you folded to a guy with something along the lines of Kd7d.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I do hate myself because the raiser won with a straight. Sorry I wasn't clear, it was just one bettor and one raiser on the river, everyone else had folded. The final pot was about 20 BBs. Thanks for the advice.

Yads
03-10-2005, 03:27 PM
I think a raise is good pre flop, A25x suited to the ace is a good hand especially with 6 others already in the hand. On the river I probably bet out, since I wouldn't want this to get checked through since I most likely have the best hand. It's unlikely anybody made a boat, but since you checked and now it's 2 back to you a call is much tougher. You don't know if it is going to be reraised behind you and you definitely can't call if it does. I think I fold it too, but next time be more aggressive.

RickyG
03-11-2005, 03:15 AM
You only have to be right 1 out of 10 times to call, and I reckon you will be more often than not... I'd probably call.

DyessMan89
03-11-2005, 11:39 PM
You played it perfect untill the river. Although you're right in having thoughts to fold, the pot it just too big at this point. Unless you were absolutley certain at that point that you were beat, you have to call.