PDA

View Full Version : Post flop, last one

Phil Van Sexton
03-09-2005, 10:28 PM
30/3. No reads to speak of on BB. CO has been calling a lot preflop and called a preflop raise earlier with A6s.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t770)
UTG (t875)
UTG+1 (t730)
MP1 (t1185)
MP2 (t560)
CO (t2420)
Button (t985)
Hero (t475)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t90) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks.

Turn: (t90) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t75</font>, BB folds, CO calls t75.

River: (t240) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>

adanthar
03-09-2005, 10:32 PM
This hand plays very differently than usual because you're short.

I think what I'd *usually* do is bet the flop intending to call a push and/or get the rest of the chips in on the turn. However, if you check and get to the river this way (not too bad), I think you're calling an all in so you may as well value bet a little more (ie, 160-180).

1C5
03-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Phil, what is your thinking on not betting on the flop once you hit top pair with a good kicker?

The Student
03-09-2005, 11:08 PM
My question too - because unless you're hoping to check-raise all-in on the flop, I don't like giving away the free card with a flush draw on the flop. With your small stack, I think you're better off putting in a 1/2 - full pot bet on the flop and then calling an all-in if someone raises you, or pushing on non-spade turn if you're just called on the flop.

ts-

Phil Van Sexton
03-09-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Phil, what is your thinking on not betting on the flop once you hit top pair with a good kicker?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking check-raise, or maybe I wasn't thinking at all. Not sure.

The Student
03-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Yeah, the C/R is fine - as long as you know the bet is coming behind you. Otherwise, what do you do if a club or an ace falls on the turn? Since you know one of your opponents likes suited aces, you might be lost as to what to do. Since my post-flop play is pretty bad, and I'm still working on developing my table-reading skills, I think betting the flop here is the best line (for me at least) because it makes subsequent decisions easy:
If I bet the flop and get called, I push the turn. If I bet the flop and get raised, I'm pushing and hoping not to see K/Q. Basically, I bet the flop because I don't want to face an ugly turn that will make me shut down (like an ace or a club that might make me want to check it again - typical weak play, but like I said, I'm pretty bad post-flop).

I know, there's a leak in my argument: what happens if your flop bet is called and a club or ace comes on the turn - well, I'm not sure. I probably push, and hope not to show it down.

ts-

Irieguy
03-09-2005, 11:45 PM
With the info you have, there's no reason to think the CO is anything other than a calling station.

I'd let him do his duty on the flop. He's not calling you on the river unless he has something, whereas he will call you on the flop with nothing.

Irieguy