PDA

View Full Version : Please comment on how I played these two KJo hands (same tourney)

Bigwig
03-09-2005, 09:14 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 (t1295)
CO (t745)
Hero (t1060)
SB (t1175)
BB (t220)
UTG (t1535)
UTG+1 (t765)
MP1 (t2420)
MP2 (t785)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t90</font>, SB calls t75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t210) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t210) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>, SB calls t125.

River: (t460) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t400</font>, Hero calls t200.

Final Pot: t1260

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Ah Td (two pair, aces and tens).
Hero has Ks Jd (straight, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins t1260. </font>

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t1670)
Hero (t1615)
Button (t505)
SB (t355)
BB (t1490)
UTG (t1525)
UTG+1 (t2285)
MP1 (t555)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t50, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t200) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t140</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls t140, SB folds.

Turn: (t480) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t200</font>, Hero calls t200.

River: (t880) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, BB calls t300.

Final Pot: t1480

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 4c 6s (two pair, aces and fours).
Hero has Kd Js (two pair, aces and jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins t1480. </font>

ShortBus
03-09-2005, 09:20 PM
1st Hand: I would've made a bet at the flop then checked the turn for a free card.

2nd Hand: I personally like how you played this hand. Wouldn't change a thing.

adanthar
03-09-2005, 10:28 PM
Hand 1: I like the bet flop, check turn line better but this isn't terrible. (Bet more on the river. The odds are that this isn't a completed draw, because he doesn't usually check that all three times HU.)

Hand 2: This is one of those times you can't really slowplay - there are too many hands he could be betting and you have no clue what he has. Rather than call off a good chunk of your stack before you figure it out, I'd rather raise to about 350 and fold to a push. If you're just called you can usually put him on a weaker jack or a draw and proceed from there.

Very nice river value bet, BTW.

callmedonnie
03-10-2005, 12:04 AM
First hand I like flop bet more than turn bet too. You raised first time, but not second? Why not? In the second hand you could have easily bought the button and had position, making it almost same situation preflop. Let me know your thoughts.

Irieguy
03-10-2005, 04:49 AM
Hand 1: I don't like the turn bet because it looks like you are just taking a stab. You have betting impetus and a good draw on the flop, so I'd make a confusing bet there.

Hand 2: Against an UTG limper, KJ is really not a hand that is worth playing at this stage with your stack, IMO. Losing a bunch of chips to an AJ or KQ limper at this stage of the tournament seems unnecessarily temararious to me.

But, assuming I DO play it... once the BB leads unsuspiciously and UTG folds, a raise is clearly in order. You are certainly ahead, and likely to get called, so I make a healthy raise. Then if the turn is innocuous you can shove it in and let the BB make a horrible mistake if he feels compelled to do so.

Irieguy

curtains
03-10-2005, 05:01 AM
Hand 1 - I will simply bet the flop, they usually fold (If you bet about half the pot they fold at least 50% of the time here). I don't want to get into a situation where they make a decent sized bet on the turn with some random hand and I just have an open ended draw. If they call the flop, I'll check the turn most likely.

Hand 2 - I define my hand on the flop, as opposed to having to guess the entire way. By the way I would fold before the flop, but assuming that I was somehow in this hand, I am raising on the flop to see how serious the BB is here.

Instead you were stuck risking a signifigant portion of your stack calling off bets on the turn and the river, without any real information.

I hate it when I just call the flop and the guy bets 300 into me on the turn. I have absolutely no idea where I'm at, because of my failure to raise the flop. He could easily just be betting his J8 for value, or he could have a strong hand.

Calling the flop is fine I suppose, it's just not my style. By the way I would play this way in a partypoker sit and go, but may play differently in other types of tournaments.

(edit - I just now noticed that you bet the river and not the opponent.)