PDA

View Full Version : Basic Play of hands question--stud8

theben
03-09-2005, 07:48 PM
I'm working on a new game, stud8. i need some tips on how to play these hands in 8ob

1) playing 3-4 handed, how should i play rolled up hands?
2) playing at a full ring (or ring minus 1) how should i play rolled up hands?

in stud hi, i mostly slowplay in both cases. but in stud8, ive slowplayed shorthanded and pushed in the full game.

what is the best way? any specific tips for 3rd, 4th, and 5th street play in case 1 and case 2?

B Mando
03-09-2005, 07:57 PM
I dont play shorthanded stud8 so I cant give you advice there, but at a full table I always pounding with rolled up trips. I just started playing in august but I cant remember a time when I havent gotten action on my trips. If you are the bring in with rolled dueces or treys I usually just bring it in and start pounding on fourth if it hasnt been raised. GL

Andy B
03-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Get Ray Zee's book.

With rolled-up Kings or Queens, you might just raise right away. It will look like you have a big pair and are just trying to thin the field. With medium trips, you might want to wait to raise, as an early raise may tip people off that you're rolled. With small trips, I would play it like a strong low. If you raise with a lot of strong three-card lows, go ahead and raise with your baby trips. If you usually just call, then just call (and maybe rethink your gameplan). If you catch little cards, play it like a strong low. Hopefully, you will scare off the other low hands and play against only high hands and scoop. If you hit a banana, you might just call until sixth, at which point either A) you'll be able to represent that low or B) you won't be able to, but you'll still have trips (or a full house), which should be worth jamming with.

At low-limit high-only stud, I think you're leaving money on the table if you routinely slow-play rolled-up trips.

PoorLawyer
03-14-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

in stud hi, i mostly slowplay in both cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this goes against 7CS4AP advice, at least with respect to low trips...