PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't pitchers getting drawn into the steroid net?

Daliman
03-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Steriods aren;t just to make guys hit mor ehome runs, they also give better arm strength for throwing harder, and can give better speed to speedsters, so the fact that got the most part only the homer hitters are getting scrutiny is ludicrous. If I'm a .230 hitter with 6 HR's, 40 RBI's and 7 SB's, and take roids and become a .265 hitter with 17 HR's, 70 RBI's, and 22 SB's, that is just as damaging to the game, and I think many lose sight of this.

It's kind of similar to when John McEnroe was accused,(probably falsely, but who knows) by his ex-wife of using steriods, and everyone said how ludicrous that was because he was never a power player, and they are missing the point. I'm a little guy, about 5'8" 150 lbs, but a guarantee you any physical activity I perform(which are now limited to lifting my son out of his crib...) will be enhanced by a proper steroid training regimen.

Anyways, even though I love Randy Johnson, I'd have to say he'd be a prime suspect on the pitcher side, and Clemens has been whispered about.

As an aside to all this, it's been addressed before, but I LOVE hearing about the weight training regimens that guys like McGwire have their defenders talking about. HELLO! STERIODS DO NOT PRECLUDE HEAVY TRAINING, AND WEIGHT TRAINING IS CRITICAL TO A STEROID TRAINING REGIMEN!
People act like you take steroids, sit at home, at then hit 40% more HR's, sheesh.

tdarko
03-09-2005, 07:00 PM
because 99% of the pitchers that juiced got injured within a year of using and so of course stopped. steriods dehydrate your tendon's and ligaments and pitchers will tear a lot easier than a position player who has to worry about muscle pulls when on steroids which aren't season ending.

yes, pitchers juice as well but not even close to the extent of what position players use.

plus pitchers use a different type of steroids (normally) than position players and it is easier to detect than HGH (what position players use). pitchers tend to use horse roids (winstraw, sp?) which makes you quicker, they work your fast twitch muscles whereas position players use the juice that makes you bigger. pitchers would actually lose MPH's if they used what Bonds was using b/c they lose flexibility and looseness or whip which is what allows velocity.

tdarko
03-09-2005, 07:02 PM
oh and i know for a fact randy doesnt use roids

gvibes
03-09-2005, 07:24 PM
HGH isn't even a steroid. I'm sure position players (and pitchers) take HGH as well, but only as a complement to steroids.

tdarko
03-09-2005, 07:28 PM
in 3 differant organizations (about 300 pitchers) and i know of only a hand few that have done HGH. and yes i know it's not a steroid, you should have knew that when i said what pitcher's take is easily detectable.

freekobe
03-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Pitchers don't take steroids because being bigger and stronger is not what makes pitchers great. Pitchers need to be extremely flexible. Pitching is about torque. Sure, stronger legs can give you more power, but bulking up your arms and torso does nothing for your fastball.

For every Roger Clemens there are ten pitchers with the body makeup of Pedro Martinez.

deacsoft
03-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Curt Schilling has been subpoenaed to testify.

htc1278
03-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Lester Munson, the CNN and SI legal consultant said today on an interview on WSCR AM 670 (Chicago based station) that he was part of a committee that researched the involvement of steroids for SI and he did name Kevin Brown as one pitcher that he was pretty confident (read: sure of it, but wanted to provide himself legal outs) was on steroids. That would explain a lot of the injury issues...and how he suddenly developed a 92mph slider half-way through his career...there are also rumors around Chicago that Mr. 4% Body-Fat Kyle Farnsworth was doin' the juice and that was involved in the decision to trade him...

offTopic
03-09-2005, 09:56 PM
The other Big Giant Head (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=1336717&Fo rum=All_Forums&Words=vs&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main =1335034&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=1324&dater ange=1&newerval=&newertype=w&olderval=2&oldertype= w&bodyprev=#Post1336717)

ThaSaltCracka
03-09-2005, 11:41 PM
most baseball insiders have said for a while, that pitchers whom take roids do it not to become stronger, but to enable their arm to heal faster during days off. In fact, not to long ago, a baseball analyst on OTL, said several posistion players admitted anonymously to taking roids because it made their body feel better the next day after games, thus enabling them to practice and play more.

I found all of this interesting, because up until this, I had always thought players took roids to simply get stronger, but apparently some take roids just to get out of bed. geesh.

billymonk
03-09-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pitchers don't take steroids because being bigger and stronger is not what makes pitchers great. Pitchers need to be extremely flexible. Pitching is about torque. Sure, stronger legs can give you more power, but bulking up your arms and torso does nothing for your fastball.

For every Roger Clemens there are ten pitchers with the body makeup of Pedro Martinez.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Like a turkey has white meat and brown meat, humans have fast twitch muscles and slow twitch muscles.

Slow twitch enables you to hit a baseball far.
Fast twitch enables you to throw a baseball fast.

Steroids work on your slow twitch muscles, in turn, pitchers don't need to take steroids, for throwing harder. Instead, if they do take them, it would be for other reasons listed in this thread.

Daliman
03-10-2005, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
most baseball insiders have said for a while, that pitchers whom take roids do it not to become stronger, but to enable their arm to heal faster during days off. In fact, not to long ago, a baseball analyst on OTL, said several posistion players admitted anonymously to taking roids because it made their body feel better the next day after games, thus enabling them to practice and play more.

I found all of this interesting, because up until this, I had always thought players took roids to simply get stronger, but apparently some take roids just to get out of bed. geesh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely right. A major selling point of taking roids is the faster heal time. WHATEVER workout they are doing for strength, speed, flexibility, elasticity, etc. It doesn't specifically help flexibility and elasticity from what I know so much as it accelerates the heal time. And, of course, arm strength helps lots with 100mph fastballs.