PDA

View Full Version : raise monster draw with one to come?

Jekyll
03-09-2005, 06:26 PM
playin in a 8ob tourney on poker stars, i have AhJs9h3c

on the turn, the board reads 2h7sKc Th

i've got no hand yet, but the way i figure it, i've got:

9 cards that make me the nut flush, and all but one of them give me the nut low or don't make a low possible.
6 more that give me the nut straight, another scoop since no low will be out, or the 8 gives me the nut low.
9 more that give me the nut low without the flush or the straight, giving me (hopefully) all the low pot.

in this case i had three others in the pot on the turn, but i have these questions:

1. Do i raise here with one to come?
2. If so, with this many outs, does it even matter how many i have in the pot with me? Would i even raise heads up?
3. Does the answer change b/c i'm in a tournament setting, with a big bet that is a 30th of my stack? 20th? 10th?

I know its a good situation, i'm just curious HOW good everyone thinks it is.

djr
03-09-2005, 07:51 PM
First, some of those flush outs put a possible boat on the board, you have 7 good outs for flush.

You'll have a scoop situation nearly 30% of the time, and take a portion of the pot another 18% of the time. So nearly 50% of the time you can expect to take money home with this hand. SInce not all of those are scoopers I'd say you have a 40% equity (or there abouts).

So, if its been bet and now it's your turn to act (and lets say you're last to act). I would raise if at least 2 people were in the pot. If there's only one person, I'd tend to call.

The answer does change depending on not only your stack in relation to bet size, but also the stack sizes of your opponents. If your stack size is large compared to the bet size, it doesn't matter. Also if it puts you all in, just go for it. But if you're short stacked (5-10 bets left)...How many people are left in the tourny? are you close to the money. WIll losing that extra bet hurt your chances to see some green?

If you're short stack against two large stacks and there's only one other person remaining who's a small stack as well..I'd be tempted to play a little more passively regardless of your equity. You're close to the money and don't want to risk losing too much of your stack on this one spot. Gaining one or two extra bets won't help you that much, but losing one does hurt you that much.

If you're early in a tourny and you've found yourself with a short stack, you need to make a move sooner or later to get more cash, and this is a perfect place to do it.