PDA

View Full Version : online 6-max games - strategy

bdypdx
03-09-2005, 05:45 PM
New to online, but play lots of 3/6 - 6/12 live.

I'm now playing .5/1 and 1/2 online and doing just fine in the full ring games. The 6-max games at 1/2 look pretty interesting. As for 6-max I'm looking for strategy adjustments. I did a search, but any links to especially good threads on 6-max strategy or tips would be appreciated.

thx

BusterStacks
03-09-2005, 05:47 PM
raise a lot.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
03-09-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
raise a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

B00T
03-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Read the Heads up - Shorthanded section of this website.

And raise a lot works too.

kenberman
03-09-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
raise a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

this advice is ridiculous.

you need to raise a hell of a lot.

k_squared
03-09-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
raise a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

this advice is ridiculous.

you need to raise a hell of a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally don't like the advice 'raise a lot.' You do have to be aggressive but you also have to have a good sense of when to call down and when to fold.... they are all important aspects of the game.

What changes in a shorthanded game is (and is a quick list so inevitably incomplete)

(1) hand values go up because you are playing less opponents... although it also changes the value of some hands that require multiple passive opponents (suited connectors for example) by making them less valubale.

(2) You are facing the same opponents more often in heads up or 3 way confrontations. So, your ability to read them and manipulate their play becomes much more important

(3) Your position changes quickly from hand to hand so you must be constantly adjusting your strategy to that position.

Play a lot more hands from the back because you have a positional advantage. Be careful about raising from the back with nothing because many players will defend their blinds aggresively. It is my opinion that you can take advantage of this aggressive blind protection by raising when you actually have good hands and simply calling with your decent ones. Your position makes stealing a real possibility and in many ways just calling leaves your opponent facing a much larger range of possible hands than they would be facing from a raise, not to mention that they will be less likely to try to aggressively defend a smaller pot with nothing than to try to take a few stabs at a larger one! You will often see people calling down with ace high or last pair.

If you start with better cards and play them better (which does not mean raising more) you will win. It is easy to start with better cards because in 6-max games people convinvce themselves they can play with any 2. I do think agression is important, but it must also be tempered agression. Often times it is worth just calling down an aggressive play until the river to let him hang himself on his own aggression.

6-handed play is complicated, but also a lot of fun. You really get to take advantage of your opponents weaknesses because you play so many more hands against them, and inevitably so many more hands against them in good position.

I hope that is a more thorough answer than RAISE A LOT...

-k_squared

BusterStacks
03-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Ok dude, I was completely serious and thorough in my summary of the 6-max game when I said raise a lot. </sarcasm>

stripsqueez
03-09-2005, 07:22 PM
read the HUSH forum - and raise a lot

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

bdypdx
03-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Awesome! The additional detail is great.

And thanks. I was wondering about "raise a lot"....

bdy

Dangergirl
03-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Someone in HUSH is working on a FAQ, and when completed will most be a must read.

sammy_g
03-10-2005, 12:15 PM
1/2 6 max strategy? value bet. value bet. value bet.

oh, and raise a lot

Sarge85
03-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Came across this post as I was reviewing my favorite threads....

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=headsup&Number=1215269&fpa rt=1&PHPSESSID=

Good Luck

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Jeff W
03-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Really? I've heard nothing about this and I read every post in HUSH. /images/graemlins/confused.gif