PDA

View Full Version : A9o preflop...

zeropotential
03-09-2005, 04:25 PM
recently my pf strategy has been going through some small changes (trying to loosen up slightly / raise more)

heres a topic SSH recomendation chart dosn't cover...
where and when do you play A9o... when do you raise?

(also other Axo's)

dkernler
03-09-2005, 04:28 PM
I'll play it from the SB and raise it from LP on a steal attempt. This is all new to me - I'm also (like you) trying to expand beyond the charts to an understanding of why to play certain hands.

GrunchCan
03-09-2005, 04:28 PM
I'll play A9o in some cases, but I can't think of any instance where I would play it for 1 bet.

If there are limpers ahead of me, I fold.

If I'm the first one in on the hijack or later and the CO and Btn are not very loose coldcallers, I'll openraise.

Isura
03-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Raise first in in CO and Button (obviously).
Call on the button with 2 or more limpers. Consider raising 1 limper. Fold in any other non-blind spot (unless the game is really tight-weak, where I raise from MP3).
SB complete, fold if raised.
BB fold to raise unless raise is from LP with few or no limpers. Then call.

Isura
03-09-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll play A9o in some cases, but I can't think of any instance where I would play it for 1 bet.

If there are limpers ahead of me, I fold.

If I'm the first one in on the hijack or later and the CO and Btn are not very loose coldcallers, I'll openraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they're loose coldcallers, that's more reason to raise. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dkernler
03-09-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If they're loose coldcallers, that's more reason to raise. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this assumes you play well post-flop. I'm not there yet, so I'd rather just raise on a steal attempt against tight players. I just don't have enough confidence yet for your play. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

zeropotential
03-09-2005, 04:42 PM
follow-up question:
what Axo do you complete from the sb, and how does the # of limpers effect this

Isura
03-09-2005, 04:42 PM
Yeah, I probably should have made the post a bit more explicit. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif It doesn't apply to everyone. I'm at the stage where I'm actually try to loosen up a bit (get the VP to about 20%) but this doesn't apply to everyone.

GrunchCan
03-09-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean to say "loose limpers?"

If so, then I would agree. If there were 1 or possibly 2 loose limpers ahead of me I'll often raise them if I'm confident I can win the button. I don't want to take A9o against many opponents. It's got pretty good high-card strength. But against opponents who are especially passive post flop, there is a danger of spewing against a dominating hand.

dkernler
03-09-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
follow-up question:
what Axo do you complete from the sb, and how does the # of limpers effect this

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm really not comfortable playing anything lower than A6o from the SB. I've read a post by Entity about this same thing. There's an old one here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=micro&Number=1315781&F orum=f21&Words=Axo%20%2BSB%20-re&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=1315781&Search=true& where=sub&Name=13485&daterange=1&newerval=&newerty pe=w&olderval=2&oldertype=w&bodyprev=#Post1315781) , but I think there was another one, too.

I'd actually rather play against a couple of loose limpers rather than a larger field. I'd like to be able to be aggressive in a relatively small pot with my weak TP. I'm not sure that everyone will agree though. It's just my play.

dkernler
03-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Here's another one (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1645991&page=&view=&s b=5&o=).

Try searching the forum for some of these topics. There are lots of good posts. I mark the good ones as favorites. There's a good post by Grunchcan about searching here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=micro&Number=1759814&f part=&PHPSESSID=).

Isura
03-09-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean to say "loose limpers?"

If so, then I would agree. If there were 1 or possibly 2 loose limpers ahead of me I'll often raise them if I'm confident I can win the button. I don't want to take A9o against many opponents. It's got pretty good high-card strength. But against opponents who are especially passive post flop, there is a danger of spewing against a dominating hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I meant loose cold-callers. I was referring to players cold-calling in the blinds. In this case, I know I'll have position so I don't mind playing against a cold-caller. If they call with a lot of weak hands, I'm aggressive on almost any flop, and then on the turn if the board isn't too scary. If they play back at me (and they're not lags) it's easy to release my hand or take a cheap showdown.