PDA

View Full Version : Sight and Sound Poll 2002

John Cole
09-24-2002, 09:51 PM
Sight and Sound's latest poll of top ten films, issued every ten years since 1952, has just been released. Once again, Citizen Kane tops the list in both the critics' and directors' poll. Also, available is a public poll in which readers are allowed to vote on their favorite film from a list of twenty or so candidates. So far, surprise, the favorite among readers is Buster Keaton's The General. Biggest surprise: The Searchers disappears from top ten list despite Ford's continuing popularity. Sight and Sound Poll (http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/topten/)

andyfox
09-25-2002, 12:19 AM
Of the films on the list to vote for, I would vote for The Godfather as my favorite. Of films not on that list, I would vote for Modern Times, The Wizard of Oz, The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, Rain Man, Double Indemnity, Fargo, The Third Man, On the Waterfront, All About Eve, and The Piano as my other favorites (not necessarily the best films, but my favorites.)

Uston
09-25-2002, 11:48 AM
Not surprisingly, every film on the critics' list is older than I am. I have no problem with older films (I feel that 12 Angry Men was the lists' most egregious omission, by far) but I think a little balance would be nice. I'm thinking that most critics would view films like L.A. Confidential, Babe, Full Metal Jacket, and The Shawshank Redemption as far too lowbrow to be considered.

KJS
09-25-2002, 04:20 PM
I don't think Citizen Kane is half as good as Touch of Evil.

Its notable that Godard is high on the critics director list but none of his films are represented on the top films list.

KJS