PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on many many different games/mastering one (NL/limit/sngs)

snapfc01
03-09-2005, 03:52 PM
i would like to hear everyones thoughts on playing different games vs. mastering one. after a bad run in the sngs i decided to test the waters elsewhere(planning on playing sngs in the future but just to switch it up a little bit). i have done pretty well at both the nl and limit cash games and just wonder how many of you play two or three different games and if you do do u stick with one for a month or so then switching or do u change whenever you feel like it. maybe switch it ever session? is it better to stick to one and "master" then to switch it up? any thoughts would be great.

MyMindIsGoing
03-09-2005, 04:02 PM
I think its nice to be able to beat several games, but there is still one "main" game you are havning most EV on. I had a very bad streak some months ago and started playing some No Limit Omaha SNGs. Was doing realy good in them and when I felt that now was the time to go back to my main game (0.25/0.50 Pot Limit holdem) I did. Also it is very nice to be able to beat other games too (even if EV is only half of what you make in your main game) in case there is only bad tables or noone playing or something in your main game. I did the same thing with Limit 7 card stud. If you are well grounded in poker in general switching games and betting styles and from ringgame to tourneys should not be that hard. Atleast not on lower levels. So to sum it up, be very good in one game and decent in a couple of others, my 2c.

ShortBus
03-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Learning different games of poker will help you gain an edge over your opponents. I am mostly a Limit Hold em' player, but I play other games often as well. Lately I've been playing PLO. It can never hurt to take the time to learn other games. That way, if a player invites you to his home game, you at least know how to play.

Also, while you'll be running cold in one game you may not be running cold in another.

k_squared
03-09-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Learning different games of poker will help you gain an edge over your opponents. I am mostly a Limit Hold em' player, but I play other games often as well. Lately I've been playing PLO. It can never hurt to take the time to learn other games. That way, if a player invites you to his home game, you at least know how to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is true that it means you are more comfortable playing those games in situations in which you have to... which is a good reason to learn them... It is also true that learning the skills to succeed in one game will help you see the underlying concepts which relate to poker in general that much more clearly as you learn to understand why the games require different strategies.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, while you'll be running cold in one game you may not be running cold in another.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you are kidding... this is never a reason to switch games... unless it is because you are psychologically being warped by the bad run of cards in one game and that is putting you on tilt. It is never a reason to go play another game because maybe you will get lucky with that one (at least not for someone who is interested in being a winning player). You need to play the games in which you have an advantage not the one which you think you are going to be the most lucky playing tonight. Streaks are phenomena that are only idenfitiable in retrospect and HAVE NO BEARING ON THE FUTURE CARDS YOU WILL GET!!! because you have been unning cold does not mean you are more liely (or less likely) to run cold in the future.

-k_squared

stripsqueez
03-09-2005, 07:25 PM
i play all the games from time to time - i play or have played 3-4 of them as my staple diet (i play full time) - i think its dumb not to play several different games because to do so aids your perspective of each considerably

you are not going to be the master of any game

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

ShortBus
03-09-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> I hope you are kidding... this is never a reason to switch games... unless it is because you are psychologically being warped by the bad run of cards in one game and that is putting you on tilt. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly think that once you go on a cold deck, your mind drags out that cold deck longer than need be. You try changing your plays, your style and everything else. While cold decks can go on for a very long time (speaking from experience here), I think the mental aspect makes it go on longer than need be.

Changing games will help you keep your mind sharp as well as get you away from your typical game. After awhile you start to think you can't play the game anymore, which is where I think changing games can be helpful.

I'm not saying move to a game you have no idea what you're doing. I'm just saying move to a game that isn't your norm.

gila
03-09-2005, 09:09 PM
I play mostly LHE, but when I am frusterated or in the middle of a losing streak, I will many times switch to hi/lo stud or play tournies for awhile. Just the change of pace to get my head back to normal. When I make this switch, I also, usually, go down from four tables to one and just enjoy the game for what it is.

edtost
03-10-2005, 01:05 AM
in a live cardroom, being able to be +ev in all (or at least more than one of the) games offered can sometimes substantially increase your earn. for example, limit games may suck one afternoon, but a huge fish is sitting with a huge stack in an uncaped nl game. or sitting in a big mixed game when he can barely read his two cards in HE.

vulturesrow
03-10-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i would like to hear everyones thoughts on playing different games vs. mastering one. after a bad run in the sngs i decided to test the waters elsewhere(planning on playing sngs in the future but just to switch it up a little bit). i have done pretty well at both the nl and limit cash games and just wonder how many of you play two or three different games and if you do do u stick with one for a month or so then switching or do u change whenever you feel like it. maybe switch it ever session? is it better to stick to one and "master" then to switch it up? any thoughts would be great.

[/ QUOTE ]

The most beneficial aspect of studying various games for me is that they often provide valuable perspectives on other games that I play. I cant think of any good examples right now, suffice to say I have had a lot of AHA! moments about one game while I was studying up on another.

AncientPC
03-10-2005, 04:50 AM
I mostly play NL but I play an occasional hand of limit every now and then. I very rarely play Omaha Hi/Lo, either limit or PL.

I don't want to take a cut in winnings to fully learn stud or Omaha Hi or Hi/Lo. I usually play these games when I want a change in pace, but most of the time when that happens I just take a break.