PDA

View Full Version : was shutting down wrong?

iluzion
03-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, BB calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

Villain was pretty passive, worried about being up against a king, the flop raise was hoping to get a free/cheap showdown, obviously diving in if i hit the gutshot or trips, but after the hand I felt it was wrong to check behind twice after such an aggressive flop.

antidan444
03-09-2005, 03:42 PM
Heads up, I'd probably bet the turn hoping to take it down there, planning to check through the river if he calls unless I improve to a set or the straight. I'd fold to a turn checkraise.

If I did check through the turn, I'd take a shot on the river with all the scare cards up there, hoping I can get a weak K to fold. I would again muck to a river checkraise.

Interested in replies to this.

davelin
03-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Probably should've thrown in another bet somewhere.

iluzion
03-09-2005, 03:46 PM
thats what i thought davelin, to go back and replay it, i woulda thrown in a river bet, assuming when he checked to me twice meant he really didn't like his hand.

detruncate
03-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Bet the turn. Take your free showdown UI unless there's a good chance that Villain would bet the flop with less than TP... in which case you should value bet the river. You're not likely to be raised on either street, and can fold to a river raise UI.

Against a more aggresssive opponent, be inclined to take a free turn card in this situation. At lesat 4 or so outs when you're behind makes it close enough that you shouldn't fold to a c/r, and your check might induce a bluff on the river.

GrunchCan
03-09-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thats what i thought davelin, to go back and replay it, i woulda thrown in a river bet, assuming when he checked to me twice meant he really didn't like his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a passive opponent, he could have top 2 pair or second set and still not "like" his hand. That doesn't mean he's going to fold it tho.

Bet the turn. Check the river.

GrunchCan
03-09-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
your check might induce a bluff on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, which is why you want to bet the turn and check the river - not the other way round.

dkernler
03-09-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
your check might induce a bluff on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, which is why you want to bet the turn and check the river - not the other way round.

[/ QUOTE ]
That doesn't make any sense here. We can't induce a bluff on this hand on the river. (Though I agree about betting the turn and checking the river OOP to induce a bluff.)

jaxUp
03-09-2005, 05:33 PM
I bet the turn and check the river UI. Why not bet the river after he checks twice? I think a "pretty passive" player would be this river with a K after you check the turn.

Sykes
03-09-2005, 07:34 PM
Bet the turn. Check the river.

detruncate
03-09-2005, 09:45 PM
The parameters are: We're in position against an aggressive player who will c/r a lot of hands, and we can't fold despite the fact that we'll often be behind. Checking the turn will almost certainly result in a bet regardless of what our opponent holds. If we can find a fold or our opponent is super LAGgy, the turn bet makes more sense since we don't mind the raise so much.